5/2 games

reiks12

Booker has overtaken Rutherford, for the Carolina League, top batting average!! Of course, he is 3 1/2 years older. 

Winston-Salem has 5 of the top 10 Carolina League batting average leaders!! Is that Vizquel's influence?

Edited by Lillian

18 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

When does Luis Gonzalez get promoted to W-S?

I'm not sure he will, honestly. There's too much of a logjam as is, and no one in W-S is really scuffling. Robert is coming back as well, and finding him a spot is, i'm sure, more of a priority.

Also, does anyone else with MILB.tv know why Birmingham seems to have the worst broadcast quality?  No on-screen scoreboard, weird camera angles, and sometimes they just aren't even broadcast at all.  I'm a new subscriber, is this how it's always been for the Barons? AAA and A+ don't seem to have the same issues.

20 minutes ago, daggins said:

I'm not sure he will, honestly. There's too much of a logjam as is, and no one in W-S is really scuffling. Robert is coming back as well, and finding him a spot is, i'm sure, more of a priority.

I'd prioritize him over Call. Then again, Micker and Basabe could get midseason promotions if they keep hitting (maybe even Rutherford, too?), and Booker should get a promotion before either of them do, so even if Robert stays at WS all year, there should be a spot for Gonzalez there no later than midseason.

They have no reason to RUSH Jimenez, especially with him having his season debut delayed 2-3 weeks.

He'll be there in BIRM at least until the middle of June.

Polo has always profiled more as a 4th/5th outfielder, last guy off the bench at the next level type...he will be pushed out of the way for Booker, and Fisher/Call will have to sort themselves out by their play on the field.

Booker and Basabe have the advantage here because they have the tools to play all three outfield positions...with Rutherford (hitting for average/OBP/doubles) and Adolfo (pure power/plus arm when healthy) having more specialized skill sets for a corner spot or DH.  Then you have Robert.

Edited by caulfield12

20 minutes ago, daggins said:

Call is kind of an afterthought at this point, but to promote Basabe and Booker, you have to re-home at least one of Fisher and Polo. Jimenez is probably Charlotte-bound. 

Fisher can hit the bench.  Booker has better all-around tools and should be given that spot IMO.  That would open up a spot in High A for Robert when the time comes.  Around the All Star break I’d promote Jimenez to AAA, Basabe to AA, & Gonzalez to A+.

So far so good for Dunning tonight.  He hasn’t really missed a beat since his promotion.

Also, Mendick is having a really nice season so far.  His numbers are very similar to his breakout season in High A last year, but in a much more difficult environment obviously.  Him & Zavala both fit that bill of under-appreciated prospect whose numbers are too good to ignore.  We’re more than due for one of these guys to develop into something useful at the major league level.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Isn't Fisher kind of a man without a position? Why not just cut Barnum and let him try his hand at 1B? He can split time there with Basto.

Sort of, but if he can’t hit, where he plays doesn’t matter.  That being said, I’m fine with him getting time at 1B over Barnum.

14 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Isn't Fisher kind of a man without a position? Why not just cut Barnum and let him try his hand at 1B? He can split time there with Basto.

Except we've got how many of those guys already?  Delmonico, Davidson, Skole, Palka, Zavala/Collins...that's the ONE position on most MILB depth charts that's not difficult to fill.  You better be able to hit 30+ homers, play Gold Glove level defense or hit like John Olerud to hold down that position as an everyday player.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except we've got how many of those guys already?  Delmonico, Davidson, Skole, Palka, Zavala/Collins...that's the ONE position on most MILB depth charts that's not difficult to fill.  You better be able to hit 30+ homers, play Gold Glove level defense or hit like John Olerud to hold down that position as an everyday player.

What exactly is your concern here?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

What exactly is your concern here?

Fisher/Call SHOULD THEORETICALLY have more value as "trade bait" to other organizations playing their natural positions...rather than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole of creating yet more 1B/DH types in this organization.