5/2 games

reiks12

On 4/26/2018 at 2:41 PM, Dunt said:

I know it won't happen, and he doesn't really have the track record to back up a top 5 pick, but Jonathan India is a really intriguing option to me.  Better defender than Bohm, absolutely crushing better comp in the SEC, has a little speed....I'm really curious if he could be an underslot play if they are negotiating to take Thomas in the 2nd.

Fisher and Call have little to no trade value as is.

2 hours ago, daggins said:

I'm not sure he will, honestly. There's too much of a logjam as is, and no one in W-S is really scuffling. Robert is coming back as well, and finding him a spot is, i'm sure, more of a priority.

I think Booker and Roman get promoted to AA when Robert comes back. Barnum should be dropped with Rose or Mendick moving up to AAA. Luis should be moving up in the not too distant future if he keeps it up.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Fisher/Call SHOULD THEORETICALLY have more value as "trade bait" to other organizations playing their natural positions...rather than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole of creating yet more 1B/DH types in this organization.

Ok. So why aren’t they playing their natural positions again? Remind me?

3 minutes ago, beautox said:

I think Booker and Roman get promoted to AA when Robert comes back. Barnum should be dropped with Rose or Mendick moving up to AAA. Luis should be moving up in the not too distant future if he keeps it up.

I think that will be a little too aggressive for mendick, but considering his age I wouldn’t be that upset. He’s a great story. He feels like a new Saladino.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think that will be a little too aggressive for mendick, but considering his age I wouldn’t be that upset. He’s a great story. He feels like a new Saladino.

I think the sox are in a position where they're going to be forced to start pushing some of the older prospects; Mendick will be 25 in September; Saladino is an apt compariso. 

8 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Are you arguing they aren't outfielders?

🤨

the reason they are being moved is because other, better players are in their otherwise set positions. So getting upset that they are moved to 1b is odd, since it’s just an attempt to let them develop their offensive profile without stunting more priority players growth.

Our entire system is going to need a promotion.  It’s ridiculous.  Maybe the answer is promoting most of Charlotte to the garbage can.  By far the least interesting team.  K. Smith returning actually makes checking the box score more than every 5 days worth it. 

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

🤨

the reason they are being moved is because other, better players are in their otherwise set positions. So getting upset that they are moved to 1b is odd, since it’s just an attempt to let them develop their offensive profile without stunting more priority players growth.

That was entire what I was suggesting earlier.

9 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Our entire system is going to need a promotion.  It’s ridiculous.  Maybe the answer is promoting most of Charlotte to the garbage can.  By far the least interesting team.  K. Smith returning actually makes checking the box score more than every 5 days worth it. 

Plenty of space can be made in AAA. They can promote a bunch of AA to AAA and then A+ to AA.

We definitely need to throw some guys into the deep end and hope they can swim in Charlotte. Our average age might be the same between our ML/AAA clubs.  I'm personally not a fan of keeping guys in the low minors once they show acceptable competence. You're better off dealing with adversary in AA than crushing it in low A ball. 

6 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Also, does anyone else with MILB.tv know why Birmingham seems to have the worst broadcast quality?  No on-screen scoreboard, weird camera angles, and sometimes they just aren't even broadcast at all.  I'm a new subscriber, is this how it's always been for the Barons? AAA and A+ don't seem to have the same issues.

I'm wondering if they are having issues with their CF camera because it wasn't like that last year. 

Games not being broadcast is due to them playing away games at parks that don't have broadcasts. Happens a lot with Winston-Salem. All home games should have a video feed for. AAA might be the only league where it seems every team has a video feed.

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I agree. I honestly don't even check the Charlotte boxscore unless Kopech is pitching. I went down to Indy to see them and I was trying to find someone to pay close attention to, and I couldn't. And now I wish I would have paid more attention to watching Nick Kingham pitch since his next start was in the majors with a perfect game in to the 7th. lol.

I am a little surprised at people talking about pushing Fisher aside or benching him or having him change positions, all in favor of Joel Booker.

Let's remember that last year at High-A, Fisher put up substantially better numbers than Booker, at the (nearly exact) same age. And we are talking here about not even a month of games, with one in AA with the other still in A.

Also, having seen both play, while clearly Booker is the better defender, I am not convinced Booker will hit at all in the upper levels. He's a sharp kid and a grinder, but his swing is poor and the bat speed isn't there, nor does he draw walks. Fisher has a better shot at being a major league contributor than Booker does, in my view.

6 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I am a little surprised at people talking about pushing Fisher aside or benching him or having him change positions, all in favor of Joel Booker.

Let's remember that last year at High-A, Fisher put up substantially better numbers than Booker, at the (nearly exact) same age. And we are talking here about not even a month of games, with one in AA with the other still in A.

Also, having seen both play, while clearly Booker is the better defender, I am not convinced Booker will hit at all in the upper levels. He's a sharp kid and a grinder, but his swing is poor and the bat speed isn't there, nor does he draw walks. Fisher has a better shot at being a major league contributor than Booker does, in my view.

I guess I see it the opposite way.  Both are fringe prospects IMO, but I think Booker's defensive ability & speed provides a far clearer path to the majors as a potential 4th OF type.  Unless Fisher suddenly learns how to hit for power, he's going to have a hard time finding a role in the majors.  And the fact that's he striking out nearly 39% of time after an unwarranted promotion doesn't make me optimistic his offensive game will suddenly click.  I'm not suggesting we completely give up on him, but I'd rather give Booker a look in Birmingham's OF over Fisher at this point time.  And adding some positional versatility would only be a good thing for Fisher.

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I see more of a need to prioritize bookers defensive development in the outfield over Fisher, whose development has to be offensive for him to have value. Letting him try corner infield positions, dh, and LF occassionally lets him get at bats while building versatility (and he's moved around before). If his bat shows in AA, he'll likely have a lot more room prospect wise to work out his LF skills (a la delmonico).

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I see more of a need to prioritize bookers defensive development in the outfield over Fisher, whose development has to be offensive for him to have value. Letting him try corner infield positions, dh, and LF occassionally lets him get at bats while building versatility (and he's moved around before). If his bat shows in AA, he'll likely have a lot more room prospect wise to work out his LF skills (a la delmonico).

It makes sense for me, but the problem is right now, the DH is unavailable. So if you remove him (mostly) from the OF picture, what does that leave? 1B? I'm all about getting rid of Barnum at this point, but I think Fisher needs more defensive development than Booker does.

There is no good clear answer here of course, it's a logistical problem no matter what.

25 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

It makes sense for me, but the problem is right now, the DH is unavailable. So if you remove him (mostly) from the OF picture, what does that leave? 1B? I'm all about getting rid of Barnum at this point, but I think Fisher needs more defensive development than Booker does.

There is no good clear answer here of course, it's a logistical problem no matter what.

He did play 1b in college that last year. And while our catchers are cycling, they are still getting days off which is often where Barnum has filled in. So I think there can be enough at bats with mostly 1b, DH on catcher rest days, and LF once in an Eloy off day.

42 minutes ago, bmags said:

He did play 1b in college that last year. And while our catchers are cycling, they are still getting days off which is often where Barnum has filled in. So I think there can be enough at bats with mostly 1b, DH on catcher rest days, and LF once in an Eloy off day.

I understand what you are saying, I just disagree with the approach. Probably because I see Fisher as a substantially higher level prospect than Booker.

8 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I understand what you are saying, I just disagree with the approach. Probably because I see Fisher as a substantially higher level prospect than Booker.

The likelihood of Fisher developing into a quality OF are pretty slim. If we're taking bets I'd put more money on Booker improving offensively then Fisher being a passable defender at the ML level. If Fisher was mashing the ball at AA right now I'm still not sure he profiles as being adequate enough in the field to take away development time from others in the system. The best case scenario on Fisher is still fairly underwhelming.