Eloy Jimenez

WBWSF

The White Sox have a record of 8-20. the third worse record in MLB. Probably the major reason for the dismal record is the 3-9 record in  one run games. There are simply too many outs in the lineup. That being said why not bring up Eloy Jimenez now?. The team is going nowhere now. It looks like a 100 loss team. The highlight of this season might be the series in July when the White Sox play the Reds. This could be the series for the highest draft choice. When you have Delmonico batting cleanup and you have Engel and Narvaez in the lineup you're not going to score a lot of runs. How can anybody justify having Engel in the lineup and not Jimenez? I've read where Jimenez isn't very good defensively. That might be so but he couldn't be any worse than Delmonico. Every ball hit to Delmonico is an adventure. What possible harm could there be at this stage in bringing Jimenez up now? If it didn't workout they could always send him back down to the minors. Mickey Mantle was sent down to the minors his first season with the Yankees. He came back later and had a HOF career. Numerous players were sent down to the minors and came back and had good careers.

A. If he isn't ready, it could really stunt his growth.

B. Service time. Why burn control now in meaningless games they are going to lose anyways, when you can trade that for when the team should be good ?

I agree, the team sucks, and outside of watching Moncada, and Abreu bat, and Lopez pitch, it's already becoming very hard to watch.  But patience now is key.  They picked a lane. Changing now and calling guys up prematurely would almost certainly blow up in their face.  We all just have to take it now, and hope it pays off next season or the season after. 

• Like 1

The same reason the Cubs have reasonable control of most of their core position players for the next 3-4 years.

They didn’t jump the gun, although they did end up shortening the timeframe to get to that contention window by acquiring Lester and getting some unexpected pitching performances out of Arrieta, Hendricks and Hammel.

I want his service time to be during his prime years, not developmental years. Let him play at AA and then AAA and then we'll see. There is no rush to bring him up, as this team is not going to win anything with him, even if he's good. I'm hoping for one more really good draft, next year.

What happens if Jimenez is brought up and he performs well? Would that be such a bad thing? Jimenez has talked quite openly that he thinks he should be on the White Sox now performing in the majors.  Frank Thomas was brought up late in the 1990 season. Thomas has said numerous times he thought he should have been brought up sooner. He thought he was wasting his time in the minors

Playing collegiate baseball at Auburn and being signed as a raw 16 year old out of the Dominican are clearly the same backgrounds, not unlike McDowell at Stanford and  Ventura at Oklahoma State.

By the way, how much did Yoan Moncada bump up attendance last year?  The answer is probably not even enough to account for half of Joakim Soria’s salary this season.  

In 2014, Kris Bryant had 297 PAs in AA with a 1.160 OPS and 297 PAs in AAA with a  1.036 OPS and the Cubs managed to keep him in the minors all year despite the league's top agent.

At AA, Eloy had 73 PAs last year and 57 PAs this year with a .888 OPS. 

I think there's plenty of time for development in the minors and zero concern about being forced to call him up soon.

59 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

What happens if Jimenez is brought up and he performs well? Would that be such a bad thing? Jimenez has talked quite openly that he thinks he should be on the White Sox now performing in the majors.  Frank Thomas was brought up late in the 1990 season. Thomas has said numerous times he thought he should have been brought up sooner. He thought he was wasting his time in the minors

Big Frank was correct.

10 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If the Sox are smart the earliest they will bring up Jimenez is next year during the season when they get 1 extra year of control. 

Really cant imagine any other scenario. 

I don't think it'll be that long.  I think he'll cut at least a cup of coffee this year, and probably open the season on the club next season.

But I wouldn't argue in the least if we didn't see him until May 2019.  

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

A. If he isn't ready, it could really stunt his growth.

B. Service time. Why burn control now in meaningless games they are going to lose anyways, when you can trade that for when the team should be good ?

I agree, the team sucks, and outside of watching Moncada, and Abreu bat, and Lopez pitch, it's already becoming very hard to watch.  But patience now is key.  They picked a lane. Changing now and calling guys up prematurely would almost certainly blow up in their face.  We all just have to take it now, and hope it pays off next season or the season after. 

The thread should be closed right here.  There is zero good reason to call up Eloy today in a lost season.

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

What happens if he comes up and bombs?

The hype around Eloy is real. No doubt about it. But let's forget about hype for a second and look strictly at numbers...

In 52 at bats, Eloy is batting .250 (which, to be fair, has been steadily climbing since his return). He has an OBP of .281 (that needs to improve) and a slugging of .519. (.800 ops).

Granted, this is only like barely 2 weeks worth of games, and he is coming off an injury, but he isn't exactly dominating the league.

Hahn has said over and over again these guys will not be called up to the next level until they have shown they they have nothing else to learn in the current league they are in. No matter how bad the fans want them.

The ONLY way I see Eloy being push up to AAA without improving his numbers and dominating the league, is if one of the guys from the Dash get their call for AA. Which could very well happen soon considering what they are doing down there.

I'm even of the opinion that Eloy will not be here until September call-ups and will start next year at AAA, to be completely honest.

Just now, Scoots said:

The hype around Eloy is real. No doubt about it. But let's forget about hype for a second and look strictly at numbers...

In 52 at bats, Eloy is batting .250 (which, to be fair, has been steadily climbing since his return). He has an OBP of .281 (that needs to improve) and a slugging of .519. (.800 ops).

Granted, this is only like barely 2 weeks worth of games, and he is coming off an injury, but he isn't exactly dominating the league.

Hahn has said over and over again these guys will not be called up to the next level until they have shown they they have nothing else to learn in the current league they are in. No matter how bad the fans want them.

The ONLY way I see Eloy being push up to AAA without improving his numbers and dominating the league, is if one of the guys from the Dash get their call for AA. Which could very well happen soon considering what they are doing down there.

I'm even of the opinion that Eloy will not be here until September call-ups and will start next year at AAA, to be completely honest.

The absolute earliest we should see Eloy is September 2018 IF the plan is that we will have him on the opening day 2019 roster.  If not, we shouldn't see him until after the 2019 Super Two deadline.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think it'll be that long.  I think he'll cut at least a cup of coffee this year, and probably open the season on the club next season.

But I wouldn't argue in the least if we didn't see him until May 2019.  

If the Sox call him up this year, they have done a complete disservice to their rebuild. 1 year of control is extremely valuable. Next year in May is the earliest he should be brought up.

Most likely hell spend a good amount of time in AA this year, perhaps move up to AAA. Next year start him in AAA and then move him to MLB if he is ready. There are a few other prospects on the same trajectory, so it makes no sense to burn a year for a few weeks. What exactly is going to be gained? 

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If the Sox call him up this year, they have done a complete disservice to their rebuild. 1 year of control is extremely valuable. Next year in May is the earliest he should be brought up.

Most likely hell spend a good amount of time in AA this year, perhaps move up to AAA. Next year start him in AAA and then move him to MLB if he is ready. There are a few other prospects on the same trajectory, so it makes no sense to burn a year for a few weeks. What exactly is going to be gained? 

If the Sox bring him up this year it will not be a disservice to the rebuild at all - what it hopefully means is that he was tearing the cover off the baseball in AA, was promoted to AAA and that he repeated that success there. I'd hope to get him a few weeks up here in September, let him get a full ST in next year and then have him start in Charlotte next year for a month or so.

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Generally, I agree.  But if the guy is raking in the minors, you gain not pissing off your future cornerstone.  We're not there yet - but its totally conceivable that he proves worthy of being in the big leagues well before next May. But again, if it were up to me, we wouldn't see him until late April / early May 2019. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Generally, I agree.  But if the guy is raking in the minors, you gain not pissing off your future cornerstone.  We're not there yet - but its totally conceivable that he proves worthy of being in the big leagues well before next May. But again, if it were up to me, we wouldn't see him until late April / early May 2019. 

These guys aren't dumb.  They know the call up rules and that the teams are going to use them to their advantage.