Keith Law Mock Draft 1.0

Y2Jimmy0

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=8328

He has the Sox taking Joey Bart from Georgia Tech: Also hearing them mostly associated with picking college players, but as with the Phillies they're unlikely to take Madrigal given their MLB middle-infield duo.

Has Mize #1 to Detroit, Singer #2 to San Francisco and Alec Bohm to Philadelphia at #3 

27 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He has the Sox taking Joey Bart from Georgia Tech: Also hearing them mostly associated with picking college players, but as with the Phillies they're unlikely to take Madrigal given their MLB middle-infield duo.

Has Mize #1 to Detroit, Singer #2 to San Francisco and Alec Bohm to Philadelphia at #3 

Is Bart worth taking that high? Is he the next Buster Posey?

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Madrigal is the BPA you take him and use him as a trade chip later.  Obviously if it's close, lean towards need, but nothing wrong using a few of our prospects including this pick to acquire a cost-controlled star at some point.

Or you could pull a Bregman and move him to 3B if you don't have one by the time he gets up.

38 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That is interesting they are looking to shy away from Madrigal based on the current team set up.

8 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Or you could pull a Bregman and move him to 3B if you don't have one by the time he gets up.

I need more power than that at 3B. Madrigal might be the best player available but you can't really take him unless you're confident he sticks at SS in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is interesting they are looking to shy away from Madrigal based on the current team set up.

If true, what it tells me is they think Madrigal fits best as a 2B. They aren't going to move the likely face of their franchise in 2.5 seasons to another position to accommodate Nick Madrigal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If true, what it tells me is they think Madrigal fits best as a 2B. They aren't going to move the likely face of their franchise in 2.5 seasons to another position to accommodate Nick Madrigal. 

That is a fair assumption I think.  If they felt he could play SS, they probably would feel he could fit somewhere else too.

Madrigal profiles best at second and passable at SS. There is no way he profiles at third. Therefore, he would have to replace Moncada or Anderson. As I suggested earlier, it could make sense to trade Anderson, if and when Madrigal were ready to take over short. It doesn't appear that they want to think of repositioning Moncada, who clearly wants to stay at second. In any case, you wouldn't think that Madrigal would push his way onto the MLB squad, until 2020, at the earliest, probably not until 2021, when he would turn 24. 

Edited by Lillian

8 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Super solid defense catcher with some pop.  The question on him is the hit tool at the moment.  K's a bit more than you'd like.

.351/.460/.609 with 12 homers and 42K to 30BB at this point for Bart on the season 

That seems so dumb to pass on madrigal if they have a higher grade on him just because of our infield.

As others have said, just as possible a top prospect madrigal helps the white sox equally by being shipped off for MLB talent.

I also just don't think sox would truly pass because of that. Not buying it (As rationale), totally possible they value him equally to others and going a different direction.

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yep and I don't blame them for that thinking. 

They should take the best player, and not worry about position. I have yet to see a team have too many good players. Who knows what Moncada and Anderson will look like when Madrigal is ready.  I certainly hope if they don't draft him that the reason is they think they guy they drafted is a better player, not based on position. 

22 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Super solid defense catcher with some pop.  The question on him is the hit tool at the moment.  K's a bit more than you'd like.

That's not a profile that I trust this org to develop. Questionable hit tool with too much swing and miss has not done well in this org.

So you’re saying this organization can spend $52M on a 19 yr old prospect, but not have the best development guys in the industry for a tiny fraction of that. Afraid so. Lots of old boy stuff in development. 

Anyone else high on Jonathan India? How good is his defense at SS and 3B?

He leads the Southeastern Conference for the Gators, with the following:  

.401    .546    .810  1.356  

10 2B  3 Triples and 14 HR, while walking more than he has struck out and 10 for 10 in stolen bases. If he is a solid defensive third baseman, he is very intriguing.

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, bmags said:

That seems so dumb to pass on madrigal if they have a higher grade on him just because of our infield.

As others have said, just as possible a top prospect madrigal helps the white sox equally by being shipped off for MLB talent.

I also just don't think sox would truly pass because of that. Not buying it (As rationale), totally possible they value him equally to others and going a different direction.

This

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

Madrigal profiles best at second and passable at SS. There is no way he profiles at third. Therefore, he would have to replace Moncada or Anderson. As I suggested earlier, it could make sense to trade Anderson, if and when Madrigal were ready to take over short. It doesn't appear that they want to think of repositioning Moncada, who clearly wants to stay at second. In any case, you wouldn't think that Madrigal would push his way onto the MLB squad, until 2020, at the earliest, probably not until 2021, when he would turn 24. 

Elite college hitters make their own way, look at Thomas and Ventura.

Heck, look no further than how quickly Beckham came up after being drafted.  I would argue 2020 at the latest, not the earliest with such an advanced/refined offensive approach.

Still don't understand why we drafted Collins...and then we're going to take Bart too?   Seems like a big miss to turn Collins into an "average-ish/fringe-ish" 1B/DH with a draft pick so high in the first round.

7 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

That's not a profile that I trust this org to develop. Questionable hit tool with too much swing and miss has not done well in this org.

Flowers and Phegley come to mind right off the bat...although Tyler's had a longer career than most of would have imagined 5 or 6 years ago.

But Hostetler was a Braves scout and covered that region of the country...so if he's SURE Bart is the best choice, but I would take Madrigal and figure his position out later.  You can make him a part-time DH and play him all over the field like Zobrist/Baez/Happ if you absolutely have to in order to get his bat in the line-up SOMEWHERE.  Even if that means LF. 

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

Anyone else high on Jonathan India? How good is his defense at SS and 3B?

He leads the Southeastern Conference for the Gators, with the following:  

.401    .546    .810  1.356  

10 2B  3 Triples and 14 HR, while walking more than he has struck out and 10 for 10 in stolen bases. If he is a solid defensive third baseman, he is very intriguing.

I don't know selection criteria but India is simply the best positional player in college baseball. He is considered a much better defensive 3rd baseman than Bohm with the added benefit of emergency SS. Ripping cover off ball. Whats not to like about this guy?

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

They should take the best player, and not worry about position. I have yet to see a team have too many good players. Who knows what Moncada and Anderson will look like when Madrigal is ready.  I certainly hope if they don't draft him that the reason is they think they guy they drafted is a better player, not based on position. 

The best player is India.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

I don't know selection criteria but India is simply the best positional player in college baseball. He is considered a much better defensive 3rd baseman than Bohm with the added benefit of emergency SS. Ripping cover off ball. Whats not to like about this guy?

The lack of a track record is the issue. I'd be scared shitless staking a top 5 pick on him.