5/3 Games

joejoedairy

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% this.  If you’ve watched him he’s been far more aggressive at the plate and you can see that by an improved K rate but slightly refucwd BB rate.  The quality of contact has also been much better.  It’s great that his BABIP has improved, but come on, I’m not overly impressed by someone predicting a sub .200 BABIP is going to return to the mean.  The improvement in his numbers as of late is tied to his change in approach and not some batted ball luck.

It's literally as simple as people were freaking out that he was hitting about .100 when 2 of his first 20 balls put in play landed for hits. It's not as if it's overly impressive to point out that someone walking 20% of the time, striking out 30% of the time and BABIPing .100 will probably have a perfectly fine batting line in a couple of weeks time, it's just common sense. Yet there was people saying there was something fundamentally wrong with his approach. Now his BABIP is normal and his line is good, lo and behold, he's suddenly had a big change in his fundamental approach? Not for me. I've caught a couple of his recent games and he seems like pretty much the same hitter he's always been.

3 minutes ago, Feeky Magee said:

It's literally as simple as people were freaking out that he was hitting about .100 when 2 of his first 20 balls put in play landed for hits. It's not as if it's overly impressive to point out that someone walking 20% of the time, striking out 30% of the time and BABIPing .100 will probably have a perfectly fine batting line in a couple of weeks time, it's just common sense. Yet there was people saying there was something fundamentally wrong with his approach. Now his BABIP is normal and his line is good, lo and behold, he's suddenly had a big change in his fundamental approach? Not for me. I've caught a couple of his recent games and he seems like pretty much the same hitter he's always been.

You must not have watched him ealier this season when he wasn’t swinging the bat and was basically just looking for a walk.  And again, I don’t see how BABIP regression has anything to do with his reduced K rate and improved power output, which has had a more significant impact on his batting line as of late.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You must not have watched him ealier this season when he wasn’t swinging the bat and was basically just looking for a walk.  And again, I don’t see how BABIP regression has anything to do with his reduced K rate and improved power output, which has had a more significant impact on his batting line as of late.

He's actually pretty much walking the same amount he did earlier in the season, and the same he has for his MiLB career. The K's are a bit down from earlier and the ISO up, but again, they're only coming more in line with his typical figures. A BABIP improving from .100 to .280 will have a bigger impact than a K% going from 34 to 28. Agree to disagree my friend.

By far the most notable development with Collins since that thread was started about him is the lack of strikeouts. It takes a hell of a lot less time for your BABIP to regress to the mean if you actually put the ball in play.

Boy, this farm is on fire... This first month has been by far the best I've seen from this farm in years. I think we will safely take back the #1 farm ranking after the draft.

Here's my scorecard for the top risers so far.

• Basabe (++)
  • Adolfo (++)
  • Booker (++)
  • Cease (++)
  • Luis Gonzo (++)
  • Dunning (+)
  • Rutherford (+)
  • Zavala (+)
  • Collins (+) 
  • The young pitchers: McClure, Henzman, Tyler Johnson, Lambert, Hamilton, Fry, and Hickman all get an (+)

Honorable Mentions: Rose, Trey M., Mendick, Roman, Blackman, Parke, Palka, Covey and Jose Rondon. (BTW, not a lot of scouting could be found on John Parke, but here's a interesting tibit https://www.garnetandblackattack.com/2017/6/14/15803470/gamecock-mlb-draft-profile-lhp-john-parke-2017)

The only significant fallers I see are:

• The AA pitchers Clarkin, Adams, and Guerrero all get a (- -)
  • Cordell (- - )
  • Gillaspie (-)
  • Fisher (-)
  • Thanks 1

That's a real good plus/negative list. I would move Collins to neutral and I would say Sheets is a very slight negative so far. For someone who was supposed to be a huge power guy out of college, his total lack of pop is a bad sign.

Not sure about my fellow prospect fans, but I seemingly flip flop between Basabe and Adolfo on a daily basis about which one is more likely to be a starter in the majors 

I have little concern on Hansen (assuming he's healthy). Eloy will be Eloy in due time. I do wish we get to see more of Robert, Burger and even Burdi. They will only make this system more scary as you said.

In a way, it's great to see all these mid tier and lower level prospects off to a great start. Thing biggest knock from the industry is that we don't have enough depth in the Top 30 and that we traded for our prospects instead of developing them. This strong first month is a good start to change that perception.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

That's a real good plus/negative list. I would move Collins to neutral and I would say Sheets is a very slight negative so far. For someone who was supposed to be a huge power guy out of college, his total lack of pop is a bad sign.

Not sure about my fellow prospect fans, but I seemingly flip flop between Basabe and Adolfo on a daily basis about which one is more likely to be a starter in the majors 

I was on the fence about these two specifically but gave both benefit of the doubt. Collins is on an upswing and Sheets at least still have a decent BA and an impressive BB/K ratio. We may see more power when the weather gets warmer.

3 hours ago, BFirebird said:

The difference being Kopech and Moncada could be stars..but yeah that is pretty incredible that the Eaton trade already has 2 guys that should play key roles in the rotation (Top 4 at least) and 1 that is knocking on the door.

Even Rutherford has been doing well.  Some of these guys are going to fail, but so far this year MiLB has been fun to follow. 

For those of you with MiLB subs...what is the damage and are replays available to watch if you can't watch live?

My buddy gets Milb.tv for half off since he's an MLB.tv subscriber, so I pay him $25 and he gives me his log-in.

And yes. replays available.

If Basabe really is a CF his upside is 6 WAR, I don't see that from Micker.  Micker is a pure corner guy and depending on how his arm comes back is an average asset in a corner OF or maybe slightly plus.

That said, it's awesome how well Micker is doing.  I did not know that in 2013, Eloy was the #1 rated International signing, Micker was #2.

And yea, the Chris Sale trade, as of this day, May 4th 2018, looks really fucking amazing.  I'm literally knocking on wood.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That said, it's awesome how well Micker is doing.  I did not know that in 2013, Eloy was the #1 rated International signing, Micker was #2.

I think we have 3 of the top 20, though you might not have guessed who the 3rd one is.

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I asked about him the other day after noticing the same thing.  Not much out there on him.  Seems like a generic mid round RHP.  He's old for WS but he's dominating, hopefully his velocity did increase and his stock is up.

Scouting report here from last year.

This year he's pumping 2-3 mph quicker on his fastball. That sort of thing does happen as pitchers adjust to a full pro season.

12 hours ago, fathom said:

He better change up something, as he is getting destroyed. Career path is of someone who isn't good enough to pitch in the majors.

Come on man, career path? He was in AA so young that he was one of the youngest pitchers in the Southern League in his SECOND YEAR there. And the numbers - and the look - improved a lot that second year.

That said, I have no idea what has happened this year. He did miss most of Spring Training with that finger injury, so maybe that's related. Or he's trying something new. Seems unlikely he suddenly lost stuff at his age.

11 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Is Lincoln Henzman someone they might consider promoting earlier than the AS break? He's been really good at Kannapolis, and is advanced age for the level. Is he someone they might challenge and see if he's starter material?

Scouting report here.

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I didn't guess correctly, but after looking up signings, I'm assuming it was Yeyson Yrizarry.

He swings like Juan Uribe, trying for a 600 foot home run every time. The swings are eerily similar, even if the body builds are very different.

9 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Boy, this farm is on fire... This first month has been by far the best I've seen from this farm in years. I think we will safely take back the #1 farm ranking after the draft.

Here's my scorecard for the top risers so far.

• Basabe (++)
  • Adolfo (++)
  • Booker (++)
  • Cease (++)
  • Luis Gonzo (++)
  • Dunning (+)
  • Rutherford (+)
  • Zavala (+)
  • Collins (+) 
  • The young pitchers: McClure, Henzman, Tyler Johnson, Lambert, Hamilton, Fry, and Hickman all get an (+)

Honorable Mentions: Rose, Trey M., Mendick, Roman, Blackman, Parke, Palka, Covey and Jose Rondon. (BTW, not a lot of scouting could be found on John Parke, but here's a interesting tibit https://www.garnetandblackattack.com/2017/6/14/15803470/gamecock-mlb-draft-profile-lhp-john-parke-2017)

The only significant fallers I see are:

• The AA pitchers Clarkin, Adams, and Guerrero all get a (- -)
  • Cordell (- - )
  • Gillaspie (-)
  • Fisher (-)

Luis Gonzo needs to be promoted. He's playing well, but at a level to low for his age and ability.

If he goes up to WinSalem and survives the leap, he becomes a real prospect. Joel booker seems to be

the player to be moved up to Birmingham to make room for Gonzo. Booker will be 25 in august. Time

to sink or swim with the big boys.