Promotions

Dunt

When do we start to see some?  I appreciate the Sox new commitment to making sure their prospects dominate at the levels they're at before moving them up, but I think we need to start seeing some promotions soon. Specifically, I'm interested in clearing up the OF a little in WS, maybe seeing Hamilton in the majors soon, moving Gonzalez up to WS, and Johnson up from Kanny. Do we see any movement before Robert and Hansen come back?

My complete guess is that when Robert is ready to play, we see Eloy to AAA, and someone from WS to Birmingham.  Not sure who from the Dash will move up, as you can easily make a case for all four OF's having earned a shot, but maybe that settles itself in the next few weeks before Robert's comeback.  As of today, I will guess that Basabe to AA is the move.

I think you see one small wave when Robert arrives (as SS2K5 said), just the outfielders.

But I think more like June you'll see some bigger waves involving catchers, pitchers, and more outfielders, in part because I think Kopech goes to Chicago in June, Cordell will return in June, and of course the draft and signings will start to take effect later that month. I bet you see lots of movement in June.

The hard part is what the hell to do with the outfielders when Robert returns this month,

37 minutes ago, Dunt said:

HWhen do we start to see some?  I appreciate the Sox new commitment to making sure their prospects dominate at the levels they're at before moving them up, but I think we need to start seeing some promotions soon. Specifically, I'm interested in clearing up the OF a little in WS, maybe seeing Hamilton in the majors soon, moving Gonzalez up to WS, and Johnson up from Kanny. Do we see any movement before Robert and Hansen come back?

I think Robert coming back will create a couple of dominos.  Assuming it’s late May, Basabe will be around 160 games in High A.  Given how dominant he’s been, I can’t see them giving him more than that many games.  And given that Booker is 24 years old & playing well, I think we see both him & Basabe get a bump to AA.  This would open spots for Robert and hopefully Gonzalez in W-S.

Hopefully we see moves with the pitching staff as well.  Unfortunately, the veteran bullpen depth in Charlotte is preventing a guy like Hamilton from getting a bump right now.  At some point in the next couple of months they’ll have to make room for him there (I don’t see a direct promotion to the majors).  I could see Johnson get a bump to High A sooner.  I also expect one of Stephens or Guerrero to get a bump to AAA once Hansen is back.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Robert coming back will create a couple of dominos.  Assuming it’s late May, Basabe will be around 160 games in High A.  Given how dominant he’s been, I can’t see them giving him more than that many games.  And given that Booker is 24 years old & playing well, I think we see both him & Basabe get a bump to AA.  This would open spots for Robert and hopefully Gonzalez in W-S.

Hopefully we see moves with the pitching staff as well.  Unfortunately, the veteran bullpen depth in Charlotte is preventing a guy like Hamilton from getting a bump right now.  At some point in the next couple of months they’ll have to make room for him there (I don’t see a direct promotion to the majors).  I could see Johnson get a bump to High A sooner.  I also expect one of Stephens or Guerrero to get a bump to AAA once Hansen is back.

I dont see any of the Charlotte RP depth blocking Hamilton's arrival in Chicago. I dont know if any of those guys warrant a serious look once they start dealing some of the guys at the major league level. Maybe Vieira, but that's probably it.

14 minutes ago, Dunt said:

I dont see any of the Charlotte RP depth blocking Hamilton's arrival in Chicago. I dont know if any of those guys warrant a serious look once they start dealing some of the guys at the major league level. Maybe Vieira, but that's probably it.

It's not that they're blocking him from Chicago, it's that they're blocking him from Charlotte.  Look at Birmingham's bullpen, it's filled with who should be in Charlotte.  I just think they'll want to give Hamilton time at Charlotte before they promote him to the majors.  Maybe not a ton of time, but at least a month or so.  Until the Sox decide they are ready to parse some of their veteran bullpen depth at Charlotte (which will happen at some point), Hamilton is pretty much stuck in Birmingham for the time-being.