Top 5 OF Prospects

35 minutes ago, username said:

He’s also 20 and literally still growing. At this age Adam Eaton was a college OF with an extreme lack of power and no projectability.  Power is the last tool to develop. Bat control/approach and ability to put strength on his frame are more important at this point.  He’s not a slap hitter (i.e. Tilson), he’s just a lanky 20 year old growing into his frame. 

This time last year Micker Adolfo was a bust.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Adolfo isn’t getting a bit slower?  He’s a really big dude.

He actually appears to have lost a little weight, or at least is in better shape. He's not a burner or anything, but he's got a little speed. Big long strides can make runners look slower, but I clocked him home to first last year and got him at 55-level at near-max effort.

2 hours ago, mac9001 said:

I'd fairly optimistic with all our OFers except for Rutherford. If we had statcast data I'd imagine his exit velocity would be pathetically low. 

As others have said, I don't think that's the case. I will say, his current approach favors line drives up the middle and slicing balls to left, but when he does go for the pull there is some substantial pop. And yeah, he's still getting stronger.

Really enjoying this conversation; I'll add good better best comps as well just for fun, knowing that if 3 of these 7 hit their "good" we will all be elated.

1. Jimenez - Moises Alou / Carlos Lee / Manny Ramirez

2. Robert -  Matt Kemp / Grady Sizemore / Andrew McCutchen

3. Basabe - Reggie Sanders / Mike Cameron / Curtis Granderson

4. Rutherford -  Josh Reddick / Andre Ethier / Christian Yelich

5. Adolfo -  Michael Taylor / Randal Grichuk / Giancarlo Stanton

6. Gonzalez - Ender Inciarte / David DeJesus / Mark Kotsay

7. Fisher - Jason Kubel / Ryan Ludwick / Josh Willingham

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Don’t know why, but I’ve always thought Eloy would/will produce like a prime Jermaine Dye. Like 2006 JD.

I could see that, his power is insane 44 HR seems reasonable. 

Jimenez doesn't strike out as much as Stanton, has a better hit tool in general, but lacks the latter's absurd game power. Not sure if he can hit to all fields like Jose Abreu, but the raw numbers seem to invite comparison. 

I love the Yelich comp for Rutherford, but Yelich hit for substantially more power at the same age and level. .197 ISO for CY, .118 for Rutherford (so far). A man can dream though.

6 minutes ago, daggins said:

I love the Yelich comp for Rutherford, but Yelich hit for substantially more power at the same age and level. .197 ISO for CY, .118 for Rutherford (so far). A man can dream though.

One can hope

I'm not the biggest on Blake but good to see him hitting this well...Doing better than Moniak by far who was taken first overall by PHI, another CA HS OF who's almost a year younger but still

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, daggins said:

Jimenez doesn't strike out as much as Stanton, has a better hit tool in general, but lacks the latter's absurd game power. Not sure if he can hit to all fields like Jose Abreu, but the raw numbers seem to invite comparison. 

Didn't Jimenez hit a 430 foot homer to RC field last week? I'm not as well versed on the prospects like others although I do follow them. TMK, Birmingham's park is very difficult to show serious power. Assuming Jimenez is what they say he is, I think he's a 35-40 homer/year guy easily.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:24 AM, beautox said:

Really enjoying this conversation; I'll add good better best comps as well just for fun, knowing that if 3 of these 7 hit their "good" we will all be elated.

1. Jimenez - Moises Alou / Carlos Lee / Manny Ramirez

2. Robert -  Matt Kemp / Grady Sizemore / Andrew McCutchen

3. Basabe - Reggie Sanders / Mike Cameron / Curtis Granderson

4. Rutherford -  Josh Reddick / Andre Ethier / Christian Yelich

5. Adolfo -  Michael Taylor / Randal Grichuk / Giancarlo Stanton

6. Gonzalez - Ender Inciarte / David DeJesus / Mark Kotsay

7. Fisher - Jason Kubel / Ryan Ludwick / Josh Willingham

This is very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm guessing the first players named are "worst case scenario" comps. Even if Jimenez is Alou, Alou had a career .885 OPS. Hell, in his prime, Alou had a .335/.416/.623 slash line.

PS, I f***ing hated Jason Kubel :)

Edited by soxfan49

In the last couple of weeks it looks like both Call and Fisher regained some prospect shine. Call now spots a .878 OPS with a very respectable 15.3% BB% / 19.1% K%. Fisher is at .755 OPS with a lot of room for improvement on a 8.7% BB% / 32.5% K%.

If Fisher can cut the K-rate down into the low 20s he'd probably be sitting on a .850+ OPS.

Yeah, it is really nice to see the guys outside of the top guys having the kind of seasons they are having.  While the first stages of the rebuild revolve around the star players currently being projected to the majors to actually hit, the sustainability of this depends on the depth and the guys behind them offering the team options as they need them.

Figured it would be fun to summarize how our top OF prospects are performing YTD.  Below are their numbers through yesterday:

1. Eloy Jimenez (21/AA): slash = .320/.345/.612/.957; 4.5% BB rate, 15.5% K rate, .291 ISO, .321 BABIP; 162 wRC+

3. Luis Basabe (21/A+): slash = .277/.386/.529/.915; 14.9% BB rate, 25.5% K rate, .252 ISO, .359 BABIP; 151 wRC+

4. Micker Adolfo (21/A+): slash = .316/.408/.556/.964; 10.8% BB rate, 26.8% K rate, .241 ISO, .414 BABIP; 163 wRC+

5. Blake Rutherford (21/A+): slash = .315/.341/.500/.841; 4.5% BB rate, 18.2% K rate, .185 ISO, .364 BABIP; 127 wRC+

6. Luis Gonzalez (22/A): slash = .325/.388/.520/.909; 10.0% BB rate, 23;6% K rate, .195 ISO, .402 BABIP; 153 wRC+

7. Alex Call (23/A+): slash = .278/.388/.491/.878; 15.3% BB rate, 19.1% K rate, .213 ISO, .316 BABIP; 143 wRC+

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Figured it would be fun to summarize how our top OF prospects are performing YTD.  Below are their numbers through yesterday:

1. Eloy Jimenez (21/AA): slash = .320/.345/.612/.957; 4.5% BB rate, 15.5% K rate, .291 ISO, .321 BABIP; 162 wRC+

3. Luis Basabe (21/A+): slash = .277/.386/.529/.915; 14.9% BB rate, 25.5% K rate, .252 ISO, .359 BABIP; 151 wRC+

4. Micker Adolfo (21/A+): slash = .316/.408/.556/.964; 10.8% BB rate, 26.8% K rate, .241 ISO, .414 BABIP; 163 wRC+

5. Blake Rutherford (21/A+): slash = .315/.341/.500/.841; 4.5% BB rate, 18.2% K rate, .185 ISO, .364 BABIP; 127 wRC+

6. Luis Gonzalez (22/A): slash = .325/.388/.520/.909; 10.0% BB rate, 23;6% K rate, .195 ISO, .402 BABIP; 153 wRC+

7. Alex Call (23/A+): slash = .278/.388/.491/.878; 15.3% BB rate, 19.1% K rate, .213 ISO, .316 BABIP; 143 wRC+

The LOWEST OPS out of the top 7 is .841.  That is insane.

2 hours ago, mac9001 said:

It would be nice to see Eloy take a few more walks. He might be a little too good at making hard contact. 

Haha I don’t even know how to think about it.  

Maybe the best way is to imagine you get called in to sub for the local little league game and the 9 year old is throwing these tasty little meatballs down the middle.  Sure he’s missing with a lot of the pitches,  but are you telling me you wouldn’t crush one of those juicy meatballs outa the park?

you also have to imagine that all the parents aren’t pissed at a grown man competing against their children...but maybe that’s what it’s like being Eloy right now. 

Edited by Jerksticks

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Watching Eloy bat, it's not like he's chasing a ton of bad pitches. He just makes a lot of contact, which causes lower pitches per plate appearance 

Part of the reason he should move up to AAA.  He’ll see more pitches he’ll need to lay off which willl require more patience.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:02 PM, mac9001 said:

I'd fairly optimistic with all our OFers except for Rutherford. If we had statcast data I'd imagine his exit velocity would be pathetically low. 

I am curious as to what information this opinion is based. He is slugging .500 with 14 XBH.  All while playing at about a year and a half younger than the league. 

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I am curious as to what information this opinion is based. He is slugging .500 with 14 XBH.  All while playing at about a year and a half younger than the league. 

I've just never really seen him turn on a pitch and launch. I've watched a decent amount of his ABs and it's a lot of ground ball singles or low lying line drives. His physical appearance might play a part, he's a god damn twig. 

21 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

I've just never really seen him turn on a pitch and launch. I've watched a decent amount of his ABs and it's a lot of ground ball singles or low lying line drives. His physical appearance might play a part, he's a god damn twig. 

Does that make you feel better about his ability to turn on a pitch and launch?