5/7 games

reiks12

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Basabe just had a really great heads-up play, even if it resulted in nothing. 

Ball 4 was a pitch way outside that the catcher couldn't get, and he took off hauling as, attempting to get to 2B on a walk. He ended up not testing it, but it was a great idea that actually confused me initially.

The classic Marco Scutaro play. Love it

I missed the beginning of the play, but with runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out, Barnum fielded a hot shot to 1B. He stepped on 1st, but instead of coming home with it, he threw it to 2B, which allowed the runner to get in to a pickle, buying enough time for the runner from 3B to score before he was tagged out. Not sure if there was a play at home or not, but it's possible Barnum cost Dunning a run by not coming home with the throw.

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I missed the beginning of the play, but with runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out, Barnum fielded a hot shot to 1B. He stepped on 1st, but instead of coming home with it, he threw it to 2B, which allowed the runner to get in to a pickle, buying enough time for the runner from 3B to score before he was tagged out. Not sure if there was a play at home or not, but it's possible Barnum cost Dunning a run by not coming home with the throw.

Barnum was the same defensive player we all thought was hurting Anderson's error totals.  He's gonna dominate in slow pitch softball in a few years 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t get to watch him much, but from the box score it looks like he gave up a bunch of singles.  The peripherals were solid at the very least.  I’m very happy if this is what we can consider a bad Dunning start.

They were legit singles. Even the two DPs he got in his last 2 innings were hard smashes. Due to the awful video angles in BIR, I have no idea how he looked, all I can comment on is the contact made, and it was mostly hard.

That's what happened to Dunning the second half last year (getting hit hard the second or especially third time through the line-up).

He was dominant with his stuff (primarily fastball) early on but struggled to put away hitters with offspeed stuff or when he got behind in counts as the opposition hitting improved with advancement through the system.

Dunning reminds me of Fulmer in a sense that he has a VERY GOOD fastball, but it's not a dominant pitch at the major league level.  Hopefully ONE of them makes it as a 4/5 starter.  The other joins the bullpen parade.

Scout said he was 90-91, T92. Threw a lot of breaking balls for strikes and whiffs, but a lot more sharp contact in the second half of his night...

The curveball note is encouraging...velocity seems a BIT down, normally expect him to be 92-94/95.

Edited by caulfield12

39 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Wow, Zavala just TORCHED a HR to LF. The announcer exploded on contact and the ball landed out of view of the camera. Good god. 2-run jack. 7th on the year.

I'm convinced Zavala has elite exit velocity. I've seen him just absolutely destroy baseballs.