Reds trade for Harvey

Jack Parkman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Matt Harvey is not good whatsoever. His stuff is straight as an arrow now and not fooling anyone. I'd rather just run Santiago out there.

I know he's not good but I just see more value in running him out there as a placeholder than MiGo, on the off chance that Coop can help him in some way. 

Part of me wants to take a shot because of his history but he has been BAD for 200+ innings now and I don't know if there's anything left there. Plus he only wants to start and seems to have a bad attitude.

Based on the tweets I’ve seen, I’m shocked so many people are shocked that he was demoted/DFA. The poor performance and bad behavior combined should have made this a fairly  common sense move, especially for a team trying to contend now.

Anyway, maybe he lands with a crappy team. I don’t see the Sox bringing him in this year.

38 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Big believer in taking chances on these type of guys but dudes stuff is no where near where it once was lost more then 3mph on his fb

I'd even think about taking a chance on that...but I don't think I want him anywhere near all the young pitchers in this organization.

Maybe if you thought he could turn it around and he had some control. He is a free agent at the end of the season, so he won’t be flipped for anything, and all you get if you can fix him is the opportunity to pay him this season. Plus, his character is an issue. Easy pass.

He was so awesome when he first came up. Sorry to see, maybe if he recommits to the game he can get healthy and find some good years ahead.

I'm not sure I want us to try on some guy that has such a piss-poor commitment and attitude now.

I feel bad for him in a way. They worked him too hard after Tommy John's, and he gave them his all. Could have been making hundreds of millions if he said fuck off and didn't keep pitching that playoff run. 

On 5/4/2018 at 5:31 PM, Balta1701 said:

I'd even think about taking a chance on that...but I don't think I want him anywhere near all the young pitchers in this organization.

He's really mostly just a name at this point. His stuff nowhere near resembles what it was when he entered the league that more then anything is a big part of why he was DFA.

Even if he regains his command he's more of a 4th/5th starter so why deal with the headaches too. I'm with you hard pass for me.

19 hours ago, FT35 said:

Sox have a good thing going—seems like a close group, very positive clubhouse, lots of learning—why take a chance of derailing that?  

I am not necessarily campaigning for the Sox to pick up Harvey, but the above reason certainly shouldn't be a determining factor.  This group may be tight-nit, but they also aren't very good at baseball.  Harvey in his final year of control doesn't do much for me (if he was controlled beyond this year, it may be worth the minimal risk), but not taking a chance to improve the club because everyone likes eachother is no bueno.  

This year was never about competing, but I expected to at least be a halfways decent team (low to mid 70s wins).  Some of these guys are going to need to learn to win at the major league level at some point.  It looking like that won't be happening until 2019. 

• knightni changed the title to Reds trade for Harvey