Reds trade for Harvey

Jack Parkman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He is the right handed version of John Danks.. But he was good in 2015. And he has little control if a miracle happens and he is fixed. 

Nah, Jeremy Bonderman is the comp. I don’t think Danks had thoracic outlet syndrome nor did he have TJS

18 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not necessarily campaigning for the Sox to pick up Harvey, but the above reason certainly shouldn't be a determining factor.  This group may be tight-nit, but they also aren't very good at baseball.  Harvey in his final year of control doesn't do much for me (if he was controlled beyond this year, it may be worth the minimal risk), but not taking a chance to improve the club because everyone likes eachother is no bueno.  

This year was never about competing, but I expected to at least be a halfways decent team (low to mid 70s wins).  Some of these guys are going to need to learn to win at the major league level at some point.  It looking like that won't be happening until 2019. 

You're right...it shouldn't matter if the guys like each other, but I'm not saying it matters.  I'm pointing out more along the lines of the culture being good.  It's difficult to create a good culture that is focused on learning and development.  Throwing in a guy who has a poor attitude and has struggled with alcohol issues isn't the best influence on a group of young players who are learning to play the game the right way.  They might love him...but at this point, that type of signing probably isn't the best now that the ship is finally moving in the right direction after 12 years....

16 minutes ago, FT35 said:

You're right...it shouldn't matter if the guys like each other, but I'm not saying it matters.  I'm pointing out more along the lines of the culture being good.  It's difficult to create a good culture that is focused on learning and development.  Throwing in a guy who has a poor attitude and has struggled with alcohol issues isn't the best influence on a group of young players who are learning to play the game the right way.  They might love him...but at this point, that type of signing probably isn't the best now that the ship is finally moving in the right direction after 12 years....

Fair. I don't disagree. 

30 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I cringe every time I see that name

Just so everyone knows, Fernando Tatis is currently hitting .219/.275/.453 in AA.  He has 47/10 K-to-BB ratio.  He is still hitting for power with 6 long ones.  Certainly an aggressive assignment to AA for a 19 year old and his last 2 weeks have actually improved his numbersdrastically, but Sox fans would have been jumping off a cliff if Tatis was doing that in this organization.  

Tatis may end up being the real deal, and he no doubt would be a nice guy to have around, but this isn't some sure thing. 

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

What would we even be willing to surrender to trade for Matt Harvey hypothetically? He was pretty brutal this season. 

Essentially nothing.  Teams are waiting for him to be released, so in reality if we were willing to pick up even part of his salary, we will give up nothing of consequence.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I would hope Sox fans would be a little more rational than that. (I'm probably expecting too much). 

There is zero doubt in my mind that lots of people on this board would have been and would continue to be freaking out about that kind of numbers from a top 10 prospect.  

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I would hope Sox fans would be a little more rational than that.

Of course Tatis isn't a "sure thing" as those don't really exist in baseball, but as a 19 year old in AA, some struggles were to be expected. Check back in July, see where Tatis is then. 

🤸‍♀️

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just so everyone knows, Fernando Tatis is currently hitting .219/.275/.453 in AA.  He has 47/10 K-to-BB ratio.  He is still hitting for power with 6 long ones.  Certainly an aggressive assignment to AA for a 19 year old and his last 2 weeks have actually improved his numbersdrastically, but Sox fans would have been jumping off a cliff if Tatis was doing that in this organization.  

I would hope not considering he basically skipped high A ball at 19, but there are meatball fans out there..

Just now, flavum said:

Rosenthal says the Mets are confident they’ll trade him. 

I can’t imagine what teams are offering. If the Sox are offering anything, what? I can’t even guess it has to be so minimal.

Even if a team is willing to pick up say a million dollars ("cash considerations") that is a plus for the Mets who are going to release him if they can't find a trade partner.

• knightni changed the title to Reds trade for Harvey