Kopech vs. Cubs Saturday? UPDATE: Nope.

KrankinSox

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

This doesnt sound like a good idea. 

I mean I'm not a rebuild guy, but this makes no sense. Why have a Sale-type pitcher on such a bad team? Explain please. Either a.) we are prepping him for next season or b.) he could be traded for 5 great prospects at the deadline if he's a star. For fans like me I hope it means the rebuild is sped up.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I mean I'm not a rebuild guy, but this makes no sense. Why have a Sale-type pitcher on such a bad team? Explain please. Either a.) we are prepping him for next season or b.) he could be traded for 5 great prospects at the deadline if he's a star. For fans like me I hope it means the rebuild is sped up.

Dude what? They're not going to wait for the team to be good again before calling him up lmao how are you not a troll?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Say what now?  Did you forget which side of things you have been on for a minute?

• Like 1

I've argued that I don't really think there's much growth left for Kopech in AAA so I wouldn't mind the move.  Presumably he'd be up to stay and Kopech seems like a guy that is going to benefit from being around other big leaguers and seeing how they work, prepare, and balance the intensity over a 162 game season.

Working on his changeup or whatever at AAA is fine, but he's not going to face the pressure of big league innings and again, from what I've seen of Kopech he is a "iron sharpens iron" type.  He's a lot like Moncada in that there's just too much natural talent there to really force improvement at the minor league level.  

31 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I sure hope that's not the case. Kopech still has things to work on in Charlotte.

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I don't believe this. That's kind of throwing him to the wolves to debut at Wrigley in the crosstown classic. The idea isn't to make it as pressure filled as possible.

These ++

Granted he ended up having a bad rookie season, but Brandon McCarthy debuted at Wrigley in May, 2005, and he didn’t do too badly.

I’m hoping they wait until next year for both he and Jimenez and get the extra year for both, but it’s not happening.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Heck there is a chance it is Matt Harvey.

If rabbit was dreading going to the game, and then found out Matt Harvey was pitching,  I can't imagine why he still would not be dreading going to the game.  Harvey is a gas can.

Edited by Dick Allen