GT: Pirates @ White Sox

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Not sure where to go with Gio at this point. It’s a dead season anyway so if he isn’t hurt you keep putting him out there, I just haven’t seen any sort of improvement in anything he is doing. Scary stuff

I have to admit that I have not liked the scouting report on this guy since they day he was acquired.  Everything about it just screams "damaged goods" in more ways than one, and by that I mean physically as well as mentally I'm not sure he's fit to pitch in MLB.

That said, Hahn made the best deal he could for Eaton and I hope with all hope that Gio proves me wrong.  If Cooper can't get through to him though, I don't see much hope.  

Just now, flavum said:

Paxton will take no hitter to the 9th in Toronto. 

Ben Gamel made a leaping play at the wall to keep it going.  Crazy.  I turned the Sox game off and put the Mariners game on the radio.  A lot more fun.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He got hit hard twice in that inning but most of those were seeing eye grounders. Not much you can do about that. 

How about not hitting someone and then walking a guy with 2 outs?  The hanger to Osuna killed him

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not sure where to go with Gio at this point. It’s a dead season anyway so if he isn’t hurt you keep putting him out there, I just haven’t seen any sort of improvement in anything he is doing. Scary stuff

He's got to figure something out quickly because there are pitchers performing in the minors that are itching to take his spot. It wouldn't shock me in the least if he got traded for a hitter that is a reclamation project as well. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's got to figure something out quickly because there are pitchers performing in the minors that are itching to take his spot. It wouldn't shock me in the least if he got traded for a hitter that is a reclamation project as well. 

As ss mentioned earlier, he's thrown 100 big league innings. We are not cutting bait on him, whether or not he's good or not, I'll eat my hat if we even consider moving him.

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

As ss mentioned earlier, he's thrown 100 big league innings. We are not cutting bait on him, whether or not he's good or not, I'll eat my hat if we even consider moving him.

I agree they shouldn't, but the guy just keeps getting shelled. Would you hang on until there is nothing you could get other than a bag of used baseballs? The Sox have plenty of decent arms in the minors. I've been as big of a fan of the guy as you would find, but at some point you have to admit the guy might just be bad at baseball. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I agree they shouldn't, but the guy just keeps getting shelled. Would you hang on until there is nothing you could get other than a bag of used baseballs? The Sox have plenty of decent arms in the minors. I've been as big of a fan of the guy as you would find, but at some point you have to admit the guy might just be bad at baseball. 

Yes, we should quit on a guy after 100 major league innings.

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have to admit that I have not liked the scouting report on this guy since they day he was acquired.  Everything about it just screams "damaged goods" in more ways than one, and by that I mean physically as well as mentally I'm not sure he's fit to pitch in MLB.

That said, Hahn made the best deal he could for Eaton and I hope with all hope that Gio proves me wrong.  If Cooper can't get through to him though, I don't see much hope.  

If Dunning and Lopez are good, the trade is a win.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

The only thing you're trading him for right now is another version of him. He's blocking no one. His mental makeup has never been in question, and he was actually much worse working in Charlotte last year than Chicago. He might not end up being worth a crap, but he's also 23 with a half of a major league season under his belt. I'll admit his stuff isn't what was initially advertised, but the fact that people are already writing his obituary is absurd, and frankly a waste of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

If Dunning and Lopez are good, the trade is a win.

Agreed. And to be honest, getting 2 potential rotation pieces would be quite the win. Who knows if Eaton can ever stay healthy again?

Just now, Heads22 said:

The only thing you're trading him for right now is another version of him. He's blocking no one. His mental makeup has never been in question, and he was actually much worse working in Charlotte last year than Chicago. He might not end up being worth a crap, but he's also 23 with a half of a major league season under his belt. I'll admit his stuff isn't what was initially advertised, but the fact that people are already writing his obituary is absurd, and frankly a waste of time.

Nobody is giving up on him but he wouldn't be getting AA batters out with his stuff this season.  Other than the one start, he's had absolutely nothing.  He can't control his mediocre fastball, his changeup is a show me pitch, and his curve ball is flat and rarely if ever thrown for a taken strike.  He's fooling nobody.

When Giolito is off, he’s constantly kicking around his plant spot on the mound. When it’s going fine, the dirt is wonderful! Don’t be that guy. He’s like the high school catcher who’s always flexing his arm when he bounces in an attempted caught stealing. Childish.

2 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I actually question those who think Giolito is a mental midget, because I disagree. He's battled out there without his best stuff a bunch this year. he's young, and manager decisions and the Houston game make his numbers much worse than they have to be. Most pitchers make their MLB debut at 23, so he's ahead of schedule having 100 IP by now. I'm confused about him actually. I think it is too early to give up on the guy, but man he looks awful right now. 

6 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Yeah!

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I actually question those who think Giolito is a mental midget, because I disagree. He's battled out there without his best stuff a bunch this year. he's young, and manager decisions and the Houston game make his numbers much worse than they have to be. Most pitchers make their MLB debut at 23, so he's ahead of schedule having 100 IP by now. I'm confused about him actually. I think it is too early to give up on the guy, but man he looks awful right now. 

Like, for example, he should be out of this inning right now.