Why not hire Ozzie? Make things interesting.

ron883

Why not hire Ozzie? Make things interesting.   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Hire ozzie again?

• Yes
    • No

This season isn't about winning. It can be rough watching a team this bad. Why not hire Ozzie as an assistant to spice things up? I want to hear him talk about the rats in Wrigley. He wants a job again. This will let him prove to the world that he has changed (whether he has or not). I say the sox bring back ozzeroo with an assistant gig. Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

This season isn't about winning. It can be rough watching a team this bad. Why not hire Ozzie as an assistant to spice things up? I want to hear him talk about the rats in Wrigley. He wants a job again. This will let him prove to the world that he has changed (whether he has or not). I say the sox bring back ozzeroo with an assistant gig. Thoughts?

Greg is that you ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dude quit on his team and let his douchebag kids embarrass our organization, he should never be welcomed back under any circumstance.

They showed highlights the other day of Ozzie. Now that's a baseball player. Now that's a baseball manager. Ozzie Guillen I love you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They would be better off going with Bill Veeck's innovation of letting the fans effectively manage strategy by "voting" with different cards they could hold up in the air.

https://baseballhall.org/discover-more/stories/inside-pitch/grandstand-managers-night

"Grandstand Managers Night" in 1951 with the St. Louis Browns

Ozzie's problem is nobody could convince him to shut up. He was a great baseball player. A great baseball mind as manager. The players loved him. The fans loved him. But his love of money and his ego got him fired. And fired in Miami too. If only somebody could have convinced him to stifle about controversial topics.

28 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Agreed.

I love Lip Man but I find this interesting. You guys are on Ozzie for "quitting" on his team in a meaningless last week of the season. Yet Hahn purposely wants to lose 110 games this year. That's not "quitting on the team?" It's all relative. Ozzie had worn out his welcome. The Sox brass wanted to move on from the Ozzie era. Everybody knew it. Ozzie made the change possible by taking the Miami job. Quit on the team? What are several people in the Sox organization doing right now??? They quit so much we were out of the race two weeks into the season.

58 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Ozzie's problem is nobody could convince him to shut up. He was a great baseball player. A great baseball mind as manager. The players loved him. The fans loved him. But his love of money and his ego got him fired. And fired in Miami too. If only somebody could have convinced him to stifle about controversial topics.

ozzie being a little b**** is what got himself fired.  he let his ego manage after 2006 or so.  the dude won the Sox a WS and helped me through one of the darkest parts of my life (it's a father son story told though the Sox in part) , I'm not going to begrudge the guy jack shit but ffs no, just no on bringing him back.

as others mentioned, he quit on the Sox.  That's a cardinal sin.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I love Lip Man but I find this interesting. You guys are on Ozzie for "quitting" on his team in a meaningless last week of the season. Yet Hahn purposely wants to lose 110 games this year. That's not "quitting on the team?" It's all relative. Ozzie had worn out his welcome. The Sox brass wanted to move on from the Ozzie era. Everybody knew it. Ozzie made the change possible by taking the Miami job. Quit on the team? What are several people in the Sox organization doing right now??? They quit so much we were out of the race two weeks into the season.

It came out over time that Ozzie wanted to leave long before he was eventually allowed to. Remember the series at home against Detroit that August? The Sox still with a shot, basically their last chance. What does Ozzie do? Before the first game of that series he tells the press how unhappy he is and how he can't come back next year (even though he had a contract) without a raise AND an extension.

I couldn't believe the gall especially choosing the time that he did.

Agree with the rebuild or not but the Sox front office isn't "quitting on the team"...they are following a plan put in place. I welcome the fact that they finally picked a lane and stayed with it. For to many years this "contending while rebuilding" philosophy was total BS because ownership was never going to shell out the gigantic amount of money needed to fill all the holes in the organization player-wise.

Now it may not work, that is certainly a possibility because the same people that drove the franchise into a ditch are being asked to fix it. I'm not comfortable with that and this front office really hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt I certainly understand those feelings...but in fact there was no other option.

Ownership wasn't changing and never will until JR leaves the scene as eventually all men do, the front office won't be changing because of JR's loyalty regardless of how bad they screw up. That's reality unfortunately.

This was the best plan they could do under the circumstances.  

All we as fans can do is hope for the best, hope it works out and if it does, hope that we are still alive to see it. Or hope we are still around to see new ownership come in and perhaps radically change the dynamic.

Other than that you can root for another team I guess or like me pull out the tapes and DVD's from better days to help you through. (My library has games from as far back as 1981 with the Sox)

Edited by Lip Man 1

It’s not just Ozzie quit but there was a passive aggressive power struggle for several years between the front office KW and Ozzie and field level coaches. After the White Sox drafted KW in 82 Jerry promised KW’s father he would take care of his son. Jerry has never gone back on that word and I think he views KW as the primary reason for 05 title. KW has greater job security than the pope and I am certain he wants Ozzie nowhere near these impressionable young players during critical point in their development. Hahn either I would wager feels similar.

I have no doubt a man loyal to a fault like JR would have a spot in the organization for Ozzie-think special instructor at spring training-just not manager.

Would rather see if Omar Vizquel has what it takes to be an MLB manager. The High A team is hitting pretty darn well right now. Not sure how much influence he has had in working with those young guys but it's an encouraging sign.

Ozzie is too much of a loose cannon, I don't think he's capable of being a good long term manager. He will always wear out his welcome. Would rather find someone we could keep around for 15-20 years.

Edited by soxforlife05

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not to get political, but it’s amazing to see the parallels between Ozzie & Trump supporters.  First, ignore all the horrible things the person in question has said & done even if they go against everything you stand for.  Second, find a scapegoat that you can make pathetically weak arguements for why they’re worse or at the very least guilty of the same things.  Third, go on a message board and make your argument loud, proud & relentless to ensure everyone knows just how hypocritical & full of shit you really are.

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It came out over time that Ozzie wanted to leave long before he was eventually allowed to. Remember the series at home against Detroit that August? The Sox still with a shot, basically their last chance. What does Ozzie do? Before the first game of that series he tells the press how unhappy he is and how he can't come back next year (even though he had a contract) without a raise AND an extension.

I couldn't believe the gall especially choosing the time that he did.

Agree with the rebuild or not but the Sox front office isn't "quitting on the team"...they are following a plan put in place. I welcome the fact that they finally picked a lane and stayed with it. For to many years this "contending while rebuilding" philosophy was total BS because ownership was never going to shell out the gigantic amount of money needed to fill all the holes in the organization player-wise.

Now it may not work, that is certainly a possibility because the same people that drove the franchise into a ditch are being asked to fix it. I'm not comfortable with that and this front office really hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt I certainly understand those feelings...but in fact there was no other option.

Ownership wasn't changing and never will until JR leaves the scene as eventually all men do, the front office won't be changing because of JR's loyalty regardless of how bad they screw up. That's reality unfortunately.

This was the best plan they could do under the circumstances.  

All we as fans can do is hope for the best, hope it works out and if it does, hope that we are still alive to see it. Or hope we are still around to see new ownership come in and perhaps radically change the dynamic.

Other than that you can root for another team I guess or like me pull out the tapes and DVD's from better days to help you through. (My library has games from as far back as 1981 with the Sox)

Lip, thank you for bringing up the comments for that Tigers series.  That was the first moment he really quit on the team and that shit is unforgivable.  You are a leader of men in the thick of things and you decide to make things about yourself.  Once a brash, selfish, ego-maniac always a brash, selfish, ego-maniac.  Thanks for 2005 but you & your entitled little shits of sons can stay away from my White Sox always & forever. 

• Like 1

I wish Ozzie was the name that could not be mentioned. He burned bridges that should never be rebuilt. Not just with the organizations he managed, but also for MLB in general. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Ozzie is a far better manager than Renteria and Ventura but I dont see a need for him to come back

At his best, I could agree with that. At his worst, which was for a long stretch in Chicago, he is beyond the worst manager in baseball. Average them together and I will take the other two. 

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

#great

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

At his best, I could agree with that. At his worst, which was for a long stretch in Chicago, he is beyond the worst manager in baseball. Average them together and I will take the other two. 

I propose an "Awful manageoff" contest, Ozzie Guilled 2010-2012 against Robin Ventura 2013-2016.

I think Robin is ahead by one torn up jersey.