5/9 Games

flavum

I watched Gonzo yesterday and they were evaluating the Q/Eloy swap. He basically said the Sox win the trade if Eloy can stay on the field. Eloy, Moncada, Robert...all seem to get dinged up a lot. Usually guys get hurt more often as they age. Hopefully, these are just some flukes.  Their heath is key to the rebuild.

Edited by Dick Allen

Burdi had TJ in May/June last year. He should be back throwing in the next month or two, and start pitching in the minors around July/August. But I doubt he sees the majors this year.

Puckett did not have TJS, he's got some other injury. He's in Arizona last I heard. Davis has a knee injury. JB Olson had TJS.

So ... Eloy Jimenez was pinch-hit for in the seventh inning of today's @BhamBarons game. He wasn't hurt. It was a blowout at that point. Could have been keeping him fresh. Could have been he has somewhere else to be. Working to find out. #WhiteSoxwhitesox2018.png

This guy is a minor league baseball reporter.

32 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Burdi had TJ in May/June last year. He should be back throwing in the next month or two, and start pitching in the minors around July/August. But I doubt he sees the majors this year.

Puckett did not have TJS, he's got some other injury. He's in Arizona last I heard. Davis has a knee injury. JB Olson had TJS.

Burdi got hurt early July and had surgery late July. Not sure how fast he's recovering but I was expecting a 50/50 chance we see him in the minors regular season.

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Burdi got hurt early July and had surgery late July. Not sure how fast he's recovering but I was expecting a 50/50 chance we see him in the minors regular season.

For pitchers it's usually 12 months to pitch, but that can be less. So hopefully he pitches in minors for like a month or two, then goes to the AFL.

9 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

For pitchers it's usually 12 months to pitch, but that can be less. So hopefully he pitches in minors for like a month or two, then goes to the AFL.

My understanding is that the recent trend with pitchers is to err on the side of waiting too long to return and sometimes taking more than 12 months as a part of that. I know for a while you would see guys going under that 12 month mark and I believe there was a concern that practice led to more re-injuries.

I'm beginning to think that both Adolfo and Jimenez, along with Moncada,  will comprise the heart of the order, on that contending team, around 2021. If that happens, I'm even more convinced that Eloy will move to first. We will likely have a very crowded outfield and having both of those big guys in the same outfield would present a defensive liability. I've been saying that it seems to make more sense to think of Adolfo in RF, with his elite arm (once he recovers), Robert in CF with his elite speed and either Rutherford or Basabe in LF. That would give us two very capable defensive players in LF and CF and a strong arm in RF. 

Depending upon whom they draft, the Sox may not have to sign any free agent position players. This team could be loaded, with just the home grown players. It also looks like the rotation might not need a free agent, either. That would be great, because we may need to spend big on a couple of elite arms for the bullpen!!!  

Edited by Lillian

22 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm beginning to think that both Adolfo and Jimenez, along with Moncada,  will comprise the heart of the order, on that contending team, around 2021. If that happens, I'm even more convinced that Eloy will move to first. We will likely have a very crowded outfield and having both of those big guys in the same outfield would present a defensive liability. I've been saying that it seems to make more sense to think of Adolfo in RF, with his elite arm (once he recovers), Robert in CF with his elite speed and either Rutherford or Basabe in LF. That would give us two very capable defensive players in LF and CF and a strong arm in RF. 

Depending upon whom they draft, the Sox may not have to sign any free agent position players. This team could be loaded, with just the home grown players. It also looks like the rotation might not need a free agent, either. That would be great, because we may need to spend big on a couple of elite arms for the bullpen!!!  

Don't count on it.

Well Caulfield, between Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Giolito, Hansen, Dunning, Fulmer and whomever they draft, or acquire in a trade, I hope that they'll have their top 3 or 4 starters. Filling in the bottom of the rotation is not going to be that hard to do. If at least 3 of those guys don't develop into top of the rotation guys, I'll be pretty disappointed. it's the injuries that worry me the most.

17 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Well Caulfield, between Kopech, Cease, Lopez, Giolito, Hansen, Dunning, Fulmer and whomever they draft, or acquire in a trade, I hope that they'll have their top 3 or 4 starters. Filling in the bottom of the rotation is not going to be that hard to do. If at least 3 of those guys don't develop into top of the rotation guys, I'll be pretty disappointed. it's the injuries that worry me the most.

Let's not forget the rather long list of depth we have across the entire org in terms of starting pitching. There's a good chance someone outside the blue chip list sticks in the rotation. I was hoping Guerrero/Stephens would be pitching in Charlotte by now with a plan to get them some major league starts before guys like Kopech/Hansen/Dunning are ready for the show. I wouldn't rush any of the blue chip guys, but start throwing the second tier guys to the sharks to see if they can swim.