5/9 Games

flavum

Maybe it's good scouting, maybe it's good coaching, or maybe we've just been lucky, but this system is clicking on cylinders right now. Even the guys who are supposed to be bad... aren't bad right now. Thinking back 5 years earlier, guys like Trey M, Mendick, Rose, and Booker would probably all be in our top 10 list.

Looking at these birth dates, of our top 5 outfield prospects, should reinforce the notion of Eloy moving to 1ST Base:

Basabe            8/96

Adolfo              9/96

Jimenez          11/96

Rutherford      5/97

Robert             8/97

The likelihood is very high that all 5 of these kids are going to be Major League regulars, if not stars. It would really help if one of them could play another position.  Eloy does not possess good tools to play anywhere in the outfield. 3 of those guys are potential centerfielders, the best defensively being Robert and Basabe. Adolfo's average speed, and elite arm, play perfectly in RF. I don't know where they are going to find a spot for Rutherford, but he appears to be justifying the original hype. It's a shame that one of them couldn't play 3RD. In any case, let's hope that they all continue to blossom and that there will be room for all of them, on that championship team, in the next decade. 

Edited by Lillian

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Looking at these birth dates, of our top 5 outfield prospects, should reinforce the notion of Eloy moving to 1ST Base:

Basabe            8/96

Adolfo              9/96

Jimenez          11/96

Rutherford      5/97

Robert             8/97

The likelihood is very high that all 5 of these kids are going to be Major League regulars, if not stars. It would really help if one of them could play another position.  Eloy does not possess good tools to play anywhere in the outfield. 3 of those guys are potential centerfielders, the best defensively being Robert and Basabe. Adolfo's average speed, and elite arm, play perfectly in RF. I don't know where they are going to find a spot for Rutherford, but he appears to be justifying the original hype. It's a shame that one of them couldn't play 3RD. In any case, let's hope that they all continue to blossom and that there will be room for all of them, on that championship team, in the next decade. 

Wow wow wow, slow down there Lillian.  The only guy who is most certaintly going to be a major leaguer is Jimenez and you want to move him to 1B?  You give him LF until he proves it’s hurting his overall value or someone forces the issue.  It will be a couple years before enough of these OFs even make it a consideration and that’s assuming all goes well.  None of the guys after Eloy are sure things and have significant development ahead of them still. 

12 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Basabe            8/96

Adolfo              9/96

Jimenez          11/96

Rutherford      5/97

Robert             8/97

Things generally have a way of working out. All five of them will very likely not become major league regulars. That’s just playing the percentages of prospect attrition. If two of them became solid regulars, I would consider that a win. 

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow wow wow, slow down there Lillian.  The only guy who is most certaintly going to be a major leaguer is Jimenez and you want to move him to 1B?  You give him LF until he proves it’s hurting his overall value or someone forces the issue.  It will be a couple years before enough of these OFs even make it a consideration and that’s assuming all goes well.  None of the guys after Eloy are sure things and have significant development ahead of them still. 

I agree that, except for Eloy, they are a ways away from being Major Leaguers, however Eloy would need time to learn a new position. Why not start the process now, while he is still in the Minors? No one is blocking him at first base. Gillaspie has been awful at Charlotte, which is where Jimenez is likely headed and soon. 

This quote from MLB Pipeline, on Jimenez strengthens the argument: "Though Jimenez may not offer much beyond his bat, he still can become a superstar. As he has gotten bigger and stronger, he has slowed and now has below-average speed. His arm strength also has regressed and he recorded just six assists in his first four pro seasons, so he now projects as a fringy left fielder."

Edited by Lillian

40 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Things generally have a way of working out. All five of them will very likely not become major league regulars. That’s just playing the percentages of prospect attrition. If two of them became solid regulars, I would consider that a win. 

Well, you're easy to please. I certainly will not consider it a win, if only two of those 5 become Major League regulars. I assume that you think Eloy and Robert are the most likely to succeed. If that were the case, wouldn't you be a little surprised and disappointed if Adolfo, Rutherford and Basabe all turned out to be busts?

Edited by Lillian

33 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I’d consider that a huge loss.  If one of Eloy or Robert doesn’t become a legit superstar that’s a legit failure.  Honestly hoping both do and we can get one more solid starting OF out of the other three guys.

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Keeping an eye on Skoug. Kid is heating up in a stretch he's never really done before in his short professional career. 7 game hitting streak. 

Glad he's turning it around. But a 32% K-rate (27% even during his 7-game streak), and some of the worst defense I've seen from a catcher in A-ball, make me very hesitant with him. I think he's going to need a lot of time.

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

I agree that, except for Eloy, they are a ways away from being Major Leaguers, however Eloy would need time to learn a new position. Why not start the process now, while he is still in the Minors? No one is blocking him at first base. Gillaspie has been awful at Charlotte, which is where Jimenez is likely headed and soon. 

This quote from MLB Pipeline, on Jimenez strengthens the argument: "Though Jimenez may not offer much beyond his bat, he still can become a superstar. As he has gotten bigger and stronger, he has slowed and now has below-average speed. His arm strength also has regressed and he recorded just six assists in his first four pro seasons, so he now projects as a fringy left fielder."

I'm not comfortable with messing with Eloy. He's our future more than anyone. Unless he gets to the point of being Schwarber or Delmonico bad in LF (and from what I understand, he's not even close to them), then I say just leave him there.

Now you're talkin', "Baker". Finally, someone who agrees with me. From yet another perspective, think of it this way. If Eloy were at first and 3 of the other 4 comprised the outfield, and a good defensive one indeed, there really wouldn't be any holes to fill on that future roster. With Anderson and Moncada, as the keystone combo, Collins and Zavala behind the plate and my projected 4TH pick, India at 3RD 😷, this roster would look pretty good. It would even satisfy my "obsession" for some left handed thunder: Moncada, Collins, Basabe/Rutherford. That leaves DH for Abreu, if he is resigned, or whomever. Eloy profiles much better as a first baseman than an outfielder, and the injury risk is less there, as you point out. It will be interesting to see if this idea gets consideration, by the front office. Of course, it would likely be 2020, at the earliest.

Edited by Lillian

54 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Now you're talkin', "Baker". Finally, someone who agrees with me. From yet another perspective, think of it this way. If Eloy were at first and 3 of the other 4 comprised the outfield, and a good defensive one indeed, there really wouldn't be any holes to fill on that future roster. With Anderson and Moncada, as the keystone combo, Collins and Zavala behind the plate and my projected 4TH pick, India at 3RD 😷, this roster would look pretty good. It would even satisfy my "obsession" for some left handed thunder: Moncada, Collins, Basabe/Rutherford. That leaves DH for Abreu, if he is resigned, or whomever. Eloy profiles much better as a first baseman than an outfielder, and the injury risk is less there, as you point out. It will be interesting to see if this idea gets consideration, by the front office. Of course, it would likely be 2020, at the earliest.

Not so sure about that.  

26 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Not so sure about that.  

What is it that you find dubious about the assertion that he profiles better as a first baseman? He is big, tall, slow, with a below average arm. The only thing that would make him any better suited to play first, would be if he were left handed. However, that doesn't seem too important anymore, as there are many right handed first basemen. He certainly doesn't profile as a very good outfielder.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Thats a pretty high success rate for prospects. As someone else said, its highly unlikely most of these prospects become major league regulars.

I don't get why you don't let him play OF for now and if we are lucky enough to have the problem of too many good OF, then we move him to 1b while having him also DH and play OF while learning 1b. Seems pretty simple to me. No need to move him now especially with so many other players in the system that might have to make the move to 1b.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

My urgency is motivated by the need to give him time to learn the position. He is going to be hard to keep in the Minors and learning how to play first, at the MLB level, wouldn't be ideal.

And what happens when a couple of the other OFs don't pan out... which is likely.

If the Sox end up being short an outfielder, or two, which I doubt, they can acquire one. Making room for the other top prospects is only part of the thought process here.  Eloy  just does not appear to possess the tools to ever be a plus defensive outfielder. I'd like to see good defense in all 3 outfield spots.