Jake Burger re-tears Achilles

Sleepy Harold

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's done.  I just hope it wasn't him breaking rehab protocol.  Sox might have a beef with him then.

What an awful pick in hindsight.

Hopefully he can come back and establish some value by the time the Sox window starts, then Sox can dangle him as trade bait to plug a hole.

I'll wait for Ptact to come out with more info or the media. Really sucks for Burger though.  The good thing is he is young, so time / youth are on his side.  And he was missing this season no matter what so this might not change the timeline in terms of being ready for next season...albeit still a big set back.   

1 minute ago, The Ginger Kid said:

why do I get the feeling that more will be revealed about this re-injury....

When I hear a guy hurts himself jumping off a back of truck or carrying luggage up the stairs, I just ignore it. It may or may not be true, and it doesn’t really matter unless you’re paying the guy.

I’ve heard of this before when someone is rehabbing the injury and they rush through the rehab too quickly. From walking though, seems odd. I wonder if that’s the whole story though just “walking”. Maybe the body didn’t take the replaced tendon or he walked too early after surgery. More details are needed. 

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'll wait for Ptact to come out with more info or the media. Really sucks for Burger though.  The good thing is he is young, so time / youth are on his side.  And he was missing this season no matter what so this might not change the timeline in terms of being ready for next season...albeit still a big set back.   

I guess my prediction that he should return with no issues was way off.

It's a huge setback and a big issue. In 30 years I've never seen a re-tear in a younger individual. If the story is true, we must have been walking without his boot and slipped or something. He should not have been walking without his boot this early, if it's been around two months since surgery.

the big issue is the quality of tissue left in his achilles. the surgery is like trying to tie pieces of spaghetti together. Now the spaghetti is frayed as well. They may need to take tendon tissue from another part of the body or use synthetic tissue, if the tissue quality isn't there. This isn't a ligament where it's a static structure. This tissue needs to have the contractile and flexibility to run and jump.

I can honestly says that this is one I have never experienced. He will have the advantage of youth and a good blood supply to the area. However, the fact that he is young and has torn it twice doesn't give much confidence.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's a huge setback and a big issue. In 30 years I've never seen a re-tear in a younger individual.

the big issue is the quality of tissue left in his achilles. the surgery is like trying to tie pieces of spaghetti together. Now the spaghetti is frayed as well. They may need to take tendon tissue from another part of the body or use synthetic tissue, if the tissue quality isn't there. This isn't a ligament where it's a static structure. This tissue needs to have the contractile and flexibility to run and jump.

I can honestly says that this is one I have never experienced. He will have the advantage of youth and a good blood supply to the area. However, the fact that he is young and has torn it twice doesn't give much confidence.

Wow, thanks for your input. 

Luckily we aren't talking about a future CF here

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's a huge setback and a big issue. In 30 years I've never seen a re-tear in a younger individual. If the story is true, we must have been walking without his boot and slipped or something. He should not have been walking without his boot this early, if it's been around two months since surgery.

I just find it hard to believe this won't be a long term issue for him. Feel bad for the guy but his body is not co-operating. Thanks for the insight.

Just now, Rabbit said:

So if ptatc doesn't even have knowledge on this what are we supposed to do? 

Expect the worst, hope for the best. 

I think the most interesting part of Ptatc's statement was the theory that Burger was not using his walking boot. Which means that this injury was basically self inflicted. Im not a dr, but I presume ptatc's conclusion is based on the fact that the boot should stabilize the area and basically make it impossible to re-tear. 

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Ugh.  Sounds like a worst case scenario.  Poor kid.  Hopefully he heals up, but that doesn't sound good at all.

21 minutes ago, Whitewashed in '05 said:

I’ve heard of this before when someone is rehabbing the injury and they rush through the rehab too quickly. From walking though, seems odd. I wonder if that’s the whole story though just “walking”. Maybe the body didn’t take the replaced tendon or he walked too early after surgery. More details are needed. 

My dad has almost exactly the scenario described happen to him.  He was in his mid 40's at the time, and not in his mid 20's.  He had a nasty partial tear and just walking along went down like someone had hit him with a baseball bat a couple of months later.

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Expect the worst, hope for the best. 

I think the most interesting part of Ptatc's statement was the theory that Burger was not using his walking boot. Which means that this injury was basically self inflicted. Im not a dr, but I presume ptatc's conclusion is based on the fact that the boot should stabilize the area and basically make it impossible to re-tear. 

Yes. He should be in the typical walking boot you see many people with foot and ankle injuries wear. This will prevent excessive motion and prevent this type of reoccurence. He should be out of it during rehab but still wear it outside of the clinic, maybe not wear it when he is just sitting around the house. My guess is he just though "I'm going outside to turn off the sprinkler (or something similar) it will be fine." If this is truly what happened.

• Like 1

• knightni changed the title to Jake Burger re-tears Achilles