Jake Burger re-tears Achilles

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

My dad has almost exactly the scenario described happen to him.  He was in his mid 40's at the time, and not in his mid 20's.  He had a nasty partial tear and just walking along went down like someone had hit him with a baseball bat a couple of months later.

Partial tears in "older" individuals that progress to rutures happen. I've seen re-ruptures in the 40 and over group as well. It all has to do with blood supply or lack thereof. This occurring in a 22 year is perplexing.

• Like 1

WOW!  just no words really other than wow!  Feel horrible for the kid...and this franchise honestly.  Seems this team has just been snake bit.  I'll look at it this way...unfortunate accident...but THANK GOD we signed Robert...or this would have been a much bigger kick in the nut sac than it already is.   I know you can't have a redo...but wow.  Wonder if this alters the upcoming draft strategy at all. 

• Like 1

A guy I play basketball with tore his achilles in a game (upper 20's) a few years ago and then re-tore it shortly into the recovery progress.  He said he was just doing basic things around the house.  He said his doctor told him it's not unheard of for that to happen during the early stages of recovery if there is an awkward step or slip.

All anecdotal, but this could just be a fluke thing that occasionally happens.  Hopefully it is at least

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Botched surgery?

highly doubtful. 

Maybe he was told he could be out of the boot and it was just an unlucky incident. I don't remember the exact date of the surgery to know the timeline.

Edited by ptatc

57 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I guess my prediction that he should return with no issues was way off.

It's a huge setback and a big issue. In 30 years I've never seen a re-tear in a younger individual. If the story is true, we must have been walking without his boot and slipped or something. He should not have been walking without his boot this early, if it's been around two months since surgery.

the big issue is the quality of tissue left in his achilles. the surgery is like trying to tie pieces of spaghetti together. Now the spaghetti is frayed as well. They may need to take tendon tissue from another part of the body or use synthetic tissue, if the tissue quality isn't there. This isn't a ligament where it's a static structure. This tissue needs to have the contractile and flexibility to run and jump.

I can honestly says that this is one I have never experienced. He will have the advantage of youth and a good blood supply to the area. However, the fact that he is young and has torn it twice doesn't give much confidence.

As always...really appreciate your insights...but super bummed to read this set of particulars.  Hopefully Burger can power past it.  

58 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

My dad has almost exactly the scenario described happen to him.  He was in his mid 40's at the time, and not in his mid 20's.  He had a nasty partial tear and just walking along went down like someone had hit him with a baseball bat a couple of months later.

My surgeon explained to me that middle age and being a guy are big risk factors for tendon tears, especially if you have a history of tendonitus, are overweight and active.  I had all the risk factors when I did mine.

As ptac is saying, this just isn't supposed to happen to a young kid that is supposed to be in great shape.

I bet he wasn't using the boot and slipped.  The #1 thing my surgeon emphasized is that (like ptac said) you really only get one shot to get this right.  I was so paranoid that I even wore my full length leg braces while sleeping because I was afraid I'd sleepwalk and re-tear them.

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

It was a bad pick at the time, even before all this.

Could you explain your reasoning?  I was lukewarm on it but now I'm just puking.  Could have had so many other guys.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

My surgeon explained to me that middle age and being a guy are big risk factors for tendon tears, especially if you have a history of tendonitus, are overweight and active.  I had all the risk factors when I did mine.

As ptac is saying, this just isn't supposed to happen to a young kid that is supposed to be in great shape.

I bet he wasn't using the boot and slipped.  The #1 thing my surgeon emphasized is that (like ptac said) you really only get one shot to get this right.  I was so paranoid that I even wore my full length leg braces while sleeping because I was afraid I'd sleepwalk and re-tear them.

Could you explain your reasoning?  I was lukewarm on it but now I'm just puking.  Could have had so many other guys.

Wasn't his weight always in question? Not sure how anyone can adamantly say he was in great shape.

Hopefully the kid is okay from a mental standpoint after this. The high of getting drafted and invited to spring training  to having an incredibly terrible year after that must be agonizing for him.  Hopefully he is able to recover and come back down the road

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Right? Could have had Seth Romero🤣

Have no problem with the pick, had such high hopes until this retear, hoping for the best

Romero dropped to 25, so I bit tough to say he was the one we could have had.   Isn't he the guy who huge makeup concerns as well? 

43 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I didn't like the pick at the time because I've never thought he was going to stay at third.

Watch the grounders from about :30 - 1:15

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Romero dropped to 25, so I bit tough to say he was the one we could have had.   Isn't he the guy who huge makeup concerns as well? 

Yes.  Romero was sent home from spring training and put on time-out.  He still hasn't rejoined the Nats.

• knightni changed the title to Jake Burger re-tears Achilles
1 hour ago, ptatc said:

highly doubtful. 

Maybe he was told he could be out of the boot and it was just an unlucky incident. I don't remember the exact date of the surgery to know the timeline.

looks like the surgery was on March 1st, two months and a week ago

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-prospect-jake-burger-out-for-season/c-267362640

By Richard Justice MLB.com @RichardJustice
Feb. 27th, 2018

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- White Sox rookie third baseman Jake Burger, one of the brightest stars in a loaded farm system, has a ruptured left Achilles tendon and will undergo season-ending surgery on Thursday in Chicago.

Edited by StrangeSox

Hahn on injury:

"He was walking in his backyard and took a step and unfortunately felt a pop. It appears nothing could've been done to prevent this, much like the first one, just something that happens.

"Doctors are very optimistic that this repair, the second repair, will take, especially with the graft tissue attachment. It's a step that's made to help solidify the strength of the tendon and the repair."

"Lousy setback for a great kid who's been working hard," Hahn said. "But as was the case with the first repair, the expectation is there's to be no long-term effect on his baseball career.

"We expect him to have no restrictions in the future. Nothing the kid did wrong, no issue with anything along the path of his rehabilitation. Unfortunately this apparently happens in a relatively small percentage of Achilles repairs. Despite his hard work, Jake suffered this reinjury."

We'll see I guess.

I'm usually a fan of Hahn's public comments but FFS dude at least acknowledge the very real possibility that he's done as a serious prospect, something like "he's got a really long road ahead".

The sunshine blowing after a guy blows his achilles for the 2nd time in 3 months isn't exactly called for imo.