Source: Rodon about to head out on Rehab assignment

southsider2k5

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rodon has staked a lot to getting to free agency, so he had better hope so for his own sake.

I think this is actually the perfect time to offer him an extension, something like 4/$30 with two team options bringing the max value to 6/$50. Gives him some financial security and gives the Sox extra years of control that ensure that if he does come back and perform, he's part of the rebuild core.

27 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I think this is actually the perfect time to offer him an extension, something like 4/$30 with two team options bringing the max value to 6/$50. Gives him some financial security and gives the Sox extra years of control that ensure that if he does come back and perform, he's part of the rebuild core.

I have zero doubts the Sox have approached him at various times.  Remember the Sox even put the extension to Maggs on the table after he destroyed his knee.

Good news.  I hope this is where he can really get his career started.  He has shown flashes of being a dominant pitcher, and it seems like injuries have been the only thing holding him back.  I was fortunate enough to be at a game last year when he pitched.  It was impressive.

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

I'd be for something like this.  Carlos is going to be getting close to FA by the time the Sox are making things interesting.  I used to think that was going to happen 2019, I now think its 2020, with an eye on being a really good team by 2021.  Rodon is a FA after 2021.  

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

If you listened to red line radio today, WSD alluded to the fact the Sox have been upset that Rodon hasn't worked hard in the offseason.

Do you have a timestamp for it? I haven't listened to it yet.

4 hours ago, Tony said:

I actually have very little hope for Carlos as something just doesn't seem right with his arm, but IF he can come back healthy, it will be a big boost to the rebuild in moving things along. 

this is kinda where I'm at.  All you can do is hope for the best I guess.

11 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Yeah, and I'd like a pony, too...

...Then I remembered who Rodon's agent was, and recognized that 'He Gone' a heartbeat after his arb years are up. I actually hope for him to be healthy, which would be a novelty for Rodon, and effective as well, so that he can be traded before he leaves via FA.

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, and I'd like a pony, too...

...Then I remembered who Rodon's agent was, and recognized that 'He Gone' a heartbeat after his arb years are up. I actually hope for him to be healthy, which would be a novelty for Rodon, and effective as well, so that he can be traded before he leaves via FA.

Yes his agent is Boras. So? Boras just had the worst winter of his life, and Rodon has experienced quite a few injuries as a major leaguer. Getting financial security might be important to Rodon at this point, and Boras isn't as likely to stop him after this past offseason.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:55 AM, fathom said:

If you listened to red line radio today, WSD alluded to the fact the Sox have been upset that Rodon hasn't worked hard in the offseason.

Huh, all the reports on this guy out of college was that he was a bulldog in the weight room and that he was a hard worker.  It did seem that he came into camp a little pudgy last year but that's fine for a pitcher.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Huh, all the reports on this guy out of college was that he was a bulldog in the weight room and that he was a hard worker.  It did seem that he came into camp a little pudgy last year but that's fine for a pitcher.

Wsd said the Sox feel all he does is hunt in the offseason and comes in out of shape

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Wsd said the Sox feel all he does is hunt in the offseason and comes in out of shape

Wonder if some of the initial problems with his shoulder were related to not following his offseason throwing program.   If Don Cooper and the Sox training team tells a pitcher to do something you'd think they would take his advice.  

2 hours ago, fathom said:

I really wasn't aware of that...but tell ya what...that's not good on his shoulder.  If he shoots left handed (which I assume)...if he's shooting birds...or even targets/skeet with a  .12 gauge shotgun...that's tends to pound your shoulder pretty good. I had a saiga12 a few years back...that after I put about 36 shells thru it...left a massive bruise on my shoulder.  Thing hurt for over a week lol.  Course i'm not sure what he's shooting...but I'd figure either .12 gauge or 308...both will pound you.

Edited by Wanne
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Yes his agent is Boras.

and Rodon has experienced quite a few injuries as a major leaguer.

Well, for one, each off season is unique, & we don't yet know if it will be a buyer's or seller's market when Rodon enters FA.

For two, Boras didn't become the most powerful agent in MLB by getting his players to sign cut-rate deals.

Taken together, I remain dubious as to Rodon re-signing here.

That said, an oft-injured, and purportedly out of shape slob doesn't inspire confidence in this fan, either. On the other hand, given that Fulmer and Giolito and Lopez are walking the yard each time they're on the mound, maybe Rodon may yet surprise us. We'll see.