5/11 - White Sox vs Cubs

Just now, Wanne said:

nobody claimed he was a gold glove.  Love to see him share DH duties tho...

My basic point was that he didn't look like a guy who could run the bases or field and while he can hit a ball hard, he has an ugly swing that doesn't inspire confidence that he can time up offspeed pitches. I'm not writing him off but he has to hit a lot in order to have any value. I certainly wouldn't take any of Davidson's at bats away in favor of Palka.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apparently the play in RF had a 99% catch probability. 

I thought he was going to catch it- he was calling for it and at last second got scared of a collision i think 

10 minutes ago, Jake said:

My basic point was that he didn't look like a guy who could run the bases or field and while he can hit a ball hard, he has an ugly swing that doesn't inspire confidence that he can time up offspeed pitches. I'm not writing him off but he has to hit a lot in order to have any value. I certainly wouldn't take any of Davidson's at bats away in favor of Palka.

well...he's been hitting the ball more than anybody else on this team right now.  I'd say he has plenty of value.    I'd think a LH hitter that's drilled over 109 dingers the last 3 seasons between AA and AAA and is proving it so far at this level probably has some value.  But yeah...he needs to sustain it. 

19 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Contreras needs to be beaned  every time He comes to bat 

So did you think Tim Anderson should be beaned when he watched his homer in KC.  I bet you thought that the catcher was a bad guy for going after Tim after he stared at this shot.   

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

So did you think Tim Anderson should be beaned when he watched his homer in KC.  I bet you thought that the catcher was a bad guy for going after Tim after he stared at this shot.   

If we do it it’s ok. You shouldn’t have to  be told

6 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Hasn't it been well established by Stone, Benetti, Anderson AND the f***ing Royals manager that Anderson didn't watch that homer?

Edited by soxfan49

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Hasn't it been well established by Stone, Benetti, Anderson AND the f***ing Royals manager that Anderson didn't watch that homer?

I watched the game.  He did watch the homer a bit and then pointed to the sky after the got to home plate.  I am okay with that, and I am okay with Contreras  watching his.  Just like I am okay with guys celebrating good plays, pitchers celebrating striking out a hitter to end an inning or game.  Its a game played by human beings and human beings have emotions.  People get butt hurt when its the other team doing it to them.  

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The team seems to get along well, etc. I just wonder how back the record can get before some guys start getting annoed with each other.

Read some interesting quotes from the Tiger team that almost broke the record for losses, I think they won like 4/5 in the end miss the record and for the most part it seemed like the club actually used it to bring them together.  They knew they sucked and they just tried to go out and do the best they could knowing they sucked.  

I think the mindset in the pros is just different.  You show up and do your job.  In baseball at least what you do in your spot really doesn't affect anybody else, not like most other team sports.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The team seems to get along well, etc. I just wonder how bad the record can get before some guys start getting annoed with each other.

This team has been an embarrassment this year. Sure looks like they quit today. Too bad Ricky can't be benched.

• Like 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

They just suck.  In baseball being a bad player can sometimes manifest itself in not looking "ready", at least imo.

Totally this.  It continues to blow my mind when people act like they didn't expect being bad to look bad.  This is what rebuilding looks like.