Quick opinion - the coming June wave of promotions, predicted

NorthSideSox72

Didn't feel like writing a whole FS article on this, but the topic has come up. As I've said, I think we see a big wave of promotions and roster moves around early June for a series of reasons (Kopech and maybe others to Chicago, Jimenez to Charlotte, Robert to W-S, guys too old dominating levels, making room for draftees among them). So if I had to guess, here is what I think will happen by, say, a week after the draft:

TO CHAR: Jimenez, one of Zavala or Collins, Stephens, Michalczewski, possibly Guerrero

TO BHAM: Cease, Dopico, Lambert or Flores, Basabe, Booker, Roman, Hickman, another reliever (and some backup C to replace one of the pair)

TO W-S: Rivera, Gonzalez, Yurchak, 3 of the 5 KAN starters (who knows which), Ty Johnson, Escorcia

TO KAN: Curbelo or Nunez, Destino, Zangari, Comito, and another couple Ext ST pitchers

Of course the above will also require some releases or other moves in Charlotte and other places. I am pretty sure Barnum is gone by then. Ryan Brett is not a starting OF. One of the Charlotte catchers will go to Chicago or be gone. A few relievers here and there could hit the road.

All very plausible. As for the Big club, they’re going to slow play both Eloy and Kopech. Kopech is really quite a ways from major league ready. Going the other way , and soon,  will be Fullmer when Gonzalez/ Rodon are ready if not before. Jeanmar should come up. The team needs a shakeup 

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Didn't feel like writing a whole FS article on this, but the topic has come up. As I've said, I think we see a big wave of promotions and roster moves around early June for a series of reasons (Kopech and maybe others to Chicago, Jimenez to Charlotte, Robert to W-S, guys too old dominating levels, making room for draftees among them). So if I had to guess, here is what I think will happen by, say, a week after the draft:

TO CHAR: Jimenez, one of Zavala or Collins, Stephens, Michalczewski, possibly Guerrero

TO BHAM: Cease, Dopico, Lambert or Flores, Basabe, Booker, Roman, Hickman, another reliever (and some backup C to replace one of the pair)

TO W-S: Rivera, Gonzalez, Yurchak, 3 of the 5 KAN starters (who knows which), Ty Johnson, Escorcia

TO KAN: Curbelo or Nunez, Destino, Zangari, Comito, and another couple Ext ST pitchers

Of course the above will also require some releases or other moves in Charlotte and other places. I am pretty sure Barnum is gone by then. Ryan Brett is not a starting OF. One of the Charlotte catchers will go to Chicago or be gone. A few relievers here and there could hit the road.

Thanks for posting this NorthSide!

I can’t see Yurcheck getting promoted given the Sheets / Adolfo duo taking up the vast majority of playing time at 1B & DH.  Pretty much the rest I agree with.  The one move of importance I think you missed is Hamilton to Charlotte.  I think they just need to figure out who to cut in AAA to clear up the spot.  He seems like he’s ready for the challenge IMO.

26 minutes ago, BuzontheSox said:

Interesting question is which of the top prospects is next in line to come to Chicago after Kopech and Eloy. Fulmer could be pitching his way back to Charlotte.

Hansen, if he's healthy. I don't think we see him until next year, though. Collins' bat could force the issue, but he doesn't seem ready to catch in the big leagues yet.

On 5/11/2018 at 6:43 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks for posting this NorthSide!

I can’t see Yurcheck getting promoted given the Sheets / Adolfo duo taking up the vast majority of playing time at 1B & DH.  Pretty much the rest I agree with.  The one move of importance I think you missed is Hamilton to Charlotte.  I think they just need to figure out who to cut in AAA to clear up the spot.  He seems like he’s ready for the challenge IMO.

Good call on Hamilton, I missed him but you're right, he should be in Charlotte soon.

On 5/11/2018 at 9:46 PM, daggins said:

They should also promote my boy Dickman to Charlotte, he's really come on in the last few weeks and he had some time in B'ham last year.

I could see Mendick to Charlotte, but not sure it happens real soon, maybe late in the season.