9-27....

ScootsMcGoots

Worst start in franchise history.

I am officially a Birmingham Barons fan lol.

But seriously. I am as pro-rebuild as anyone. But worst start in the over 100 year franchise history? After hearing many of the players say they were going to surprise people this year, Ricky telling us he is preaching fundamentals, all of the chemistry, the injuries...no one expected this. Even those who expected the team to lose...no one expected this piss-poor day in day out "entertainment."

11 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Worst start in franchise history.

I am officially a Birmingham Barons fan lol.

But seriously. I am as pro-rebuild as anyone. But worst start in the over 100 year franchise history? After hearing many of the players say they were going to surprise people this year, Ricky telling us he is preaching fundamentals, all of the chemistry, the injuries...no one expected this. Even those who expected the team to lose...no one expected this piss-poor day in day out "entertainment."

All I can hope is the media mocks the White Sox. The fans stay away in droves and wear paper bags. Stuff like that. If they are going to put us through a "worst-ever in Sox history" 110 loss season, they should pay for it as well. Of course the GM has it made. If anybody calls them on this being crap, they can just slyly wink and whisper, 'This is what we want, Mr. Reinsdorf. The No. 1 pick will be beneficial.''' I don't believe in this strategy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Wonder if there will be a fanbase that will come back to whenever it is this team will be good. Cubs have stolen an entire generation of fans from the Southside.

Nobody seems to care about that, anymore. That used to be the Sox fear, that they had to be good to stay relevant at all. Now with the TV contracts this huge, there doesn't seem to be a concern about fans or crowds, etc. They believe and are probably right in that the crowds will pick up and we'll fill the building when we get good again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Eight straight games where they have had at least one 3 run inning against them. Meanwhile, Cooper makes excuse after excuse in the media.

What do you expect Cooper to say publically? My guys suck. I dont think any coach could do much with this talent. He really only has a handful that are really worth much.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What do you expect Cooper to say publically? My guys suck. I dont think any coach could do much with this talent. He really only has a handful that are really worth much.

To blame the minor delay yesterday for Fulmer's struggles was weak. And as you said, he only has a few that has big league talent. Problem is they are all underperforming (some miserably) under his watch besides Lopez.  I know I mentioned this earlier in the week, but it will be interesting to see how Cooper's teachings translate to the new era of baseball and uppercuts.

Don't really know what Cooper can do? 

Sure, the future looks really bright for the pitching down the line, but right now, who outside of Lopez, is worth a crap in their current capacity? Giolito and Fulmer are likely going to be good arms in the pen, but they just can't get it done as starters in the rotation. 

Cooper is a great pitching coach, not a miracle worker. Turning what talent we currently have into a competent staff is the equivalent of turning sh*t into chocolate pudding. 

59 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Wonder if there will be a fanbase that will come back to whenever it is this team will be good. Cubs have stolen an entire generation of fans from the Southside.

God forbid they lose the massive fanbase they had before the rebuild. 50 years ago called.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

God forbid they lose the massive fanbase they had before the rebuild. 50 years ago called.

They had a decent fanbase during the 00s. That's not 50 years ago. Didnt mention the rebuild killing it but the same people who are in charge during the death of our fanbase are still in charge now.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, fathom said:

To blame the minor delay yesterday for Fulmer's struggles was weak. And as you said, he only has a few that has big league talent. Problem is they are all underperforming (some miserably) under his watch besides Lopez.  I know I mentioned this earlier in the week, but it will be interesting to see how Cooper's teachings translate to the new era of baseball and uppercuts.

Whether he is effective or not, he is not going to criticize the pitchers in the media.

10 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

im actually impressed by how bad this team is

I'm not too surprised at how bad the offense is at times, or the bullpen, but I am very surprised with this starting staff. I certainly did not see them all sucking (Yes, even Lopez and his misleading 2.44 ERA sucks this year in every other metric).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm not too surprised at how bad the offense is at times, or the bullpen, but I am very surprised with this starting staff. I certainly did not see them all sucking (Yes, even Lopez and his misleading 2.44 ERA sucks this year in every other metric).

Yeah I feel that the pitching has been the hardest to watch. I didn't think they would be struggling THIS badly, the numbers would be record breaking if it continues. 

Just now, reiks12 said:

Yeah I feel that the pitching has been the hardest to watch. I didn't think they would be struggling THIS badly, the numbers would be record breaking if it continues. 

Highest BB/9 in baseball. 2nd worst K/9. As you might imagine, the worst K/BB ratio in baseball. Actually, only one of 2 teams in baseball with a K/BB worse than 2. And you would be pretty surprised to guess the other team, but they also play in Chicago.

Our pitching also generates the least amount of groundballs in baseball by a pretty good margin.  Have the worst xFIP by a TON.

And just when looking at our starting staff. Worst K/9, worst BB/9, and actually has almost managed to walk as many batters as they have struck out. Which is amazing when you consider every starter is likely to run in to at least a few 7-8 strikeout games here and there.

My main disappointment has been the bullpen but actually if you look at the players who needed to do well and that were part of a potential longterm plan the only guy sort of struggling is Gio.

Moncada before the injury was raking. Sanchez has been hitting well. Matt Davidson is hitting well.

People need to look beyond the record because with this roster it means nothing. Most of these guys aren't going to be around in 2 years maybe even by the time September callups happen.

The only thing that is kind of disappointing is the veteran guys aren't doing well I am expecting the Sox to be active around the deadline. Hard to see either Garcia moved at this point. Abreu is doing alright but is not playing upto his standards.

Soria and Nate Jones have been far from dominant. If this continues it's hard to see us getting any premium prospects back at the deadline which would suck because we really could use some depth there is a major dropoff between our top guys and the lower guys. The lower guys unlike most farms are all 23-25. Cordell, Tilson, Hall those when you look at a farm like say the dodgers you sort of realize the importance of depth because right now we have one wave and no one behind them to fill in the holes as guys fail or depth to be used in trades.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

My main disappointment has been the bullpen but actually if you look at the players who needed to do well and that were part of a potential longterm plan the only guy sort of struggling is Gio.

Moncada before the injury was raking. Sanchez has been hitting well. Matt Davidson is hitting well.

I don't think anybody above you said anything about the hitting. It's been moreso the pitching. 

8 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

They had a decent fanbase during the 00s. That's not 50 years ago. Didnt mention the rebuild killing it but the same people who are in charge during the death of our fanbase are still in charge now.

People show up to watch a winning team. Most people's fandom is determined by their family. Both teams in this city have historically sucked. 

10 hours ago, Dan of Steel said:

Don't really know what Cooper can do? 

Sure, the future looks really bright for the pitching down the line, but right now, who outside of Lopez, is worth a crap in their current capacity? Giolito and Fulmer are likely going to be good arms in the pen, but they just can't get it done as starters in the rotation. 

Cooper is a great pitching coach, not a miracle worker. Turning what talent we currently have into a competent staff is the equivalent of turning sh*t into chocolate pudding. 

Th only problem I have with it is Cooper is treated almost the exact opposite any other coach. Most coaches or managers, the player sucks , clearly a coaching or managing issue. They are great, it’s all the player.

With Coop, pitchers can’t throw strikes, pitchers suck, hey what can you expect? Pitchers are great, it’s all Coop. There has not been 1 pitcher ever failed by Coop, while there seems to be hundreds of failures that are other coaches or managers’ faults.

There isn’t a pitching coach in the world that would look good right now in a White Sox uniform. All I am saying is that if Coop really could walk on water like some seem to believe, the performance would be at least a little better.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Th only problem I have with it is Cooper is treated almost the exact opposite any other coach. Most coaches or managers, the player sucks , clearly a coaching or managing issue. They are great, it’s all the player.

With Coop, pitchers can’t throw strikes, pitchers suck, hey what can you expect? Pitchers are great, it’s all Coop. There has not been 1 pitcher ever failed by Coop, while there seems to be hundreds of failures that are other coaches or managers’ faults.

There isn’t a pitching coach in the world that would look good right now in a White Sox uniform. All I am saying is that if Coop really could walk on water like some seem to believe, the performance would be at least a little better.

I do think that he is a better pitching coach than most because of a few of his basic philosophies (or maybe its becuase he agrees with mine).

1. Everyone doesnt need to have the same mechanics. He works with what they are comfortable.

2. Dont throw as hard as you can all the time, take something off and create more movement.

3. Stand tall, throw downhill and throw early strikes.

His history has shown that the sox usually have a good, healthy pitching staff. They just arent doing well this year. No one is always going to perfect. People have down years. Once a better quality of pitcher shows up, rodon, kopech, etc., it will improve.

10 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

At the beginning of the 00s attendance still sucked, so there really wasn't much of a fanbase either. Then they won the whole Damn thing. That's all that matters, winning. No matter how bad it gets now, the "fanbase" will appear if banners are won. The Blackhawks are the perfect example.

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

All I can hope is the media mocks the White Sox. The fans stay away in droves and wear paper bags. Stuff like that. If they are going to put us through a "worst-ever in Sox history" 110 loss season, they should pay for it as well. Of course the GM has it made. If anybody calls them on this being crap, they can just slyly wink and whisper, 'This is what we want, Mr. Reinsdorf. The No. 1 pick will be beneficial.''' I don't believe in this strategy.

This has already started. Opening Day wasn't close to being soldout. (Yeah it was cold and miserable that day, but still Opening day tickets are usally soldout way in advance of the game.) Most of the games I've been to since Opening Day have had sparse crowds. Even tho they're announcing tickets sold the actual in house attendance has been less than 2,000 fans at these games. One of the games I was at there were more vendors and ushers than actual fans. I realize that attendance  isn't as important as it use to be but still the small crowds have to be hurting the organization money wise to some degree.

Again none of this should be a surprise.  We are in the midst of the low point of things.  All of the veteran talent is gone, while barely any of the premium talent is here.  Some key guys are hurt, a lot of mediocre guys are playing awful baseball,  and we are waiting on the iceberg of talent to hit the south side. 

Even looking at the micro, the needle is pointing up for the season with Moncada due back in days, Avi and Rodon due back in weeks, and almost all of the systems premium talent having great years.

I know some people are extra hormonal because it is Cubs weekend but again this is the process.  Rebuilding sucks during the rebuild. It is going to be years before we see real results. Quit freaking out over what is supposed to be happening. 

• Like 1