5-13 GT - Sox @ Cubs - 1:20pm CST

3 minutes ago, Replacement Level Poster said:

That to me looks like if he has a quality rotation he can produce results, tough to compare this staff to garland, buehrle, Freddy, Contreras. All things just aren’t equal.

In his defense,  I believe the two biggest free agent contracts weve ever given to starting pitchers belong to Jaime Navarro 22 years ago and Derek Holland.

Little misleading given extensions and trades but Sox have never been a team to give money to the rotation and they expect Cooper to make it work anyways.

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

In his defense,  I believe the two biggest free agent contracts weve ever given to starting pitchers belong to Jaime Navarro 22 years ago and Derek Holland.

Little misleading given extensions and trades but Sox have never been a team to give money to the rotation and they expect Cooper to make it work anyways.

And it's fair to try to make the argument that Cooper has nothing to do with it and in fact it's our front office/scouts who have been able to identify pitching talent. It's a tricky thing to identify without being there and witnessing the coaching and knowing what the people involved were thinking. We have also heard at times that Coop is involved in some of our personnel decisions about pitchers, which blurs the lines even further.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pass the eye test?  :)

lol, the burden is on Daniel to show he can square it up consistently with that swing of his. He has stopped topping everything like he did in his first 15 or 20 ABs, which is a positive in that all the hand movement looks nice when it ends up turning into contact. I'm still not sure where to put him in the field, though.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

For someone with absolutely no power, Omar is striking out a ton.  

He's been surprisingly bad this year. I thought it was a no-brainer to keep him over Smith but he's had some issues catching the ball and has had his strikeout rate mysteriously shoot way up.