5-15 GT - Sox @ PIT - 6:05pm CST

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Well that went horrible for Lopez.  Give me Singer in the draft for more depth.

You draft lovers are finding out there's not much there, is there? You want Singer? He's not exactly as good as Bill Singer or Don Drysdale.

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Stone just said that Avi reaggravated his hamstring in pregame workouts at Wrigley. Awesome. See you in July.

The Avi haters or Avi-dislikers apparently were right. Last year will go down as the outlier, the one good year on the back of his baseball card. PTATC can tell us ... it seems to me once you have a hammy problem, at least the rest of the season you continue to aggravate the hammy.

53 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Yes lets blame Don Cooper for Fulmer, Gio, and Lopez. Those 3 absolutely dominated in AAA, right?

Actually no. They were bad(Giolito), worse(Fulmer) and meh(Lopez)

To be honest, there really wasn't a reason to be excited by the three guys up in the rotation. Results were mediocre and they all seemed to be overhyped, with the exception of Giolito who somehow lost 5mph off his heater in the last 3 seasons. Giolito throwing 96-98 probably would be a good pitcher. Giolito throwing 91-92 sucks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He was obviously being sarcastic.

I realized it was rhetorical sarcasm. I just wanted to make a point that the shine had worn off of Giolito,Fulmer and Lopez last season and that most people's opinions here(myself included) were based on old data/scouting reports that didn't fit reality anymore, especially with Giolito and Fulmer. Not that they can't figure it out, but these three suck right now and I'm really not sure they're going to do anything but suck in the future. The Sox have a lot of problems if none of the three young pitchers currently in the bigs amount to anything. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

To be fair, a lot of my hope and optimism about Giolito early this season was based on him being able to regain velocity back to the mid 90s. Without that, He's probably toast, because he doesn't have the command to hit his spots regularly. I've always been meh on Lopez. I never knew what to make of Fulmer. This is potentially a huge setback, but we have to wait it out for another season and see. Question though, at what point with these guys do we come to the conclusion that "they are what they are?" is 4-500 MLB innings  a reasonable benchmark? 

Edited by Jack Parkman