FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

I don't know how much interest there is in this competition in the States seeing USA didn't qualify , we are not exactly running a fever over here . The English Premier League has throttled young English talent with our teams attracting the cream of world footballers , the local kids don't get a chance, so no surprise the national team struggles.

Anyway I thought I'd start a thread for those who may be watching .

Im torn on watching. With all of the FIFA bullshit, the US missing the cut and it being in Russia, part of me feels that I should just avoid the whole thing. Its a pretty sad state of affairs because I can remember previous WC's where I would wake up to watch the matches.

Ill probably watch some once it hits the round of 16, but this is definitely my lowest interest level in any world cup I can recall. 

15 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

With all of the FIFA bullshit, the US missing the cut and it being in Russia

It has certainly put a damper on the whole tournament , I still don't know how the 2022 WC is going to take place in Qatar.

1 minute ago, Bazox said:

It has certainly put a damper on the whole tournament , I still don't know how the 2022 WC is going to take place in Qatar.

I think that is the other part that annoys fans in the US. Right or wrong, many US fans thought we were getting 1 of those World Cups. Instead due to all of the bribery etc it went to Qatar with them guaranteeing it would be in the summer. Now they admit its impossible to hold in the summer, so its going to be played November 21-December 18, and go up against NFL Football, NCAA Football, plus the holidays. 

There was then some more underhanded junk giving Fox the rights to 2026, so that they wouldnt force FIFA to pull out of Qatar.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-30/fox-telemundo-set-for-500-million-windfall-on-2026-world-cup

38 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

underhanded junk giving Fox the rights to 2026

Didn't know about that , beggars belief does that .

40 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Right or wrong, many US fans thought we were getting 1 of those World Cups.

England sent the Prime minister, Prince William and David Beckham to promote the bid and got 2 votes ! Of course they forgot to take 20 mill in used bills with them 🙄

I'm still mad about that US game in Trinidad, the fact that they failed to qualify out of the easiest qualification tourney in the world drives me crazy.

But I'll still watch, it's always entertaining. Both of my parents are from Poland, so that's my second team to root for, hopefully they can make a run, I think they have a relatively easier group.

It's the World Cup. Of course I'm excited.

Bummer to be without the US but I always watch the entire tournament anyway. I'll keep an extra close eye on Spurs players (shame on you for ignoring the five of them in the England team, Bazox), obviously.

This tournament does feel a little icky but I"m pretty set on boycotting 2022 and I don't think I have the willpower to skip two consecutive World Cups...

21 hours ago, 3GamesToLove said:

Spurs players (shame on you for ignoring the five of them in the England team, Bazox)

They have had a good season and three of them could start , I wouldn't have picked Dier for the squad , Trippier is needed for cover .

• 4 weeks later...

I’ll try to get into it this weekend. Haven’t felt any excitement for it. I’m not a fan of ESPN but this being on Fox Sports isn’t exciting either. ESPN definitely did the WC right when broadcasting it. 

Also is Russia the lowest ranked team bc of the FIFA rankings and the lack of points earned from qualifiers/etc? 

1 hour ago, zenryan said:

Also is Russia the lowest ranked team bc of the FIFA rankings and the lack of points earned from qualifiers/etc?

Yes , they did well today but they are not a good team and SA were hopeless defending.

On paper the “Golden Generation” of Belgium are the best side , lack of experience cost them two years ago in Euro Championship, they should make the semis this time. 

Germany are tournament experts , I cannot believe that they left Leroy Sane the EPL young player of the year out of the squad , he is not a typical German style of player but what a trick to have up your sleeve if things aren’t going to plan.