FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

13 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The US misses the World Cup and Mexico beats Germany. So so gross, I don't care what Landon Donovan says.

Still impressed by the Swiss strategy of beat the shit out of Neymar for 90 minutes to control him. It worked. 

I'm with you, I will not root for our rival.  I suppose there is a concept of our region performing well and therefor indicating the strength of the region, but basically put, I want them to have another loss right out of the group stage (get out of group and than loose like they do every 4 years).  

On Swiss, I thought the refs were pretty quick on the whistle with Neymar. Obviously soccer has flopping but a lot of "soft" calls, imo.  

50 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

They're going to advance

Yes they are , they got a very easy group though . I do feel it's good for the home nation to advance , just gives the tournament a better vibe .

They should meet Spain or Portugal in the last 16 , they may have a tiny chance against Portugal , Spain would destroy them.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:09 PM, Chisoxfn said:

I'm with you, I will not root for our rival.  I suppose there is a concept of our region performing well and therefor indicating the strength of the region, but basically put, I want them to have another loss right out of the group stage (get out of group and than loose like they do every 4 years).  

On Swiss, I thought the refs were pretty quick on the whistle with Neymar. Obviously soccer has flopping but a lot of "soft" calls, imo.  

I can respect this...every time the USMNT plays, I root for them to get crushed. I thoroughly enjoy the fact the US didn't make the World Cup!

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2018 at 2:54 PM, TheTruth05 said:

Really hope Iceland can beat Argentina for that 2nd spot in the group. They are set up nicely after the beatdown ARG just took from Croatia.

While Iceland's appearance in Russia is a nice story, I don't think I care to watch their "bus-parking operation" in the 2nd round. I'm glad they lost today to Nigeria.

Argentina, while in disarray right now, at least have "a chance" to play some quality ball, given some of the purported quality they have in their roster. As a neutral fan with finite years left on earth, I think I'd rather have a chance to see excellence than to watch Iceland put 11 men behind the ball all game long.

YMMV.

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

While Iceland's appearance in Russia is a nice story, I don't think I care to watch their "bus-parking operation" in the 2nd round. I'm glad they lost today to Nigeria.

Argentina, while in disarray right now, at least have "a chance" to play some quality ball, given some of the purported quality they have in their roster. As a neutral fan with finite years left on earth, I think I'd rather have a chance to see excellence than to watch Iceland put 11 men behind the ball all game long.

YMMV.

I'm over the Iceland being a good story,  it was fun at Euro 2016, but now I was happy to see Nigeria beat them.

I think Argentina's problem is they have so many players playing.in different leagues and the coach is trying to make them work his own strategy instead of adapting to his players. Just let the players play, they are here by choice, they want to win.

3 hours ago, Bazox said:

Belgium in cruise control today could have been more than 5 .

Ya know, I for one have no need to see more minnows get trounced in the early parts of World Cups.

Belgium's cruising, but then they SHOULD cruise vs Tunisia. Russia CRUSHED Egypt & Saudi Arabia, but then they SHOULD, at least at home.

What's frightening about the FIFA Crime Family is that they want to expand this tournament to 40 teams, which means there will be more turd piles of national teams in the early going in Qatar. Now, that's "fun," and "cute," but what happens when a top player is injured when some mediocre team puts out a hit on him? And how many of us REALLY want to watch Brazil or Belgium or France pummel Qatar or New Zealand or Canada by 10 or more next time around?

I know, the WC "expansion" was nothing more than FIFA codifying more corruption and grift. But, I for one have no use for these wastes of time that are bad teams [like Tunisia] vs great ones [Like Belgium].

40 teams means countries like USA, Italy etc. They have to do it because certain areas could use more spots.

It's the same as the play in game in NCAA tournament. It's always teams who were better than teams already in tournament, but due to tournaments/leagues had guaranteed spots.

Late , late show from Germany down to 10 men  a 95th minute winner , the draw would have meant Mexico had qualified . I've a feeling Sweden will beat Mexico and gpo through with Germany .

3 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

What's frightening about the FIFA Crime Family is that they want to expand this tournament to 40 teams, which means there will be more turd piles of national teams in the early going in Qatar.

21 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

40 teams means countries like USA, Italy etc.

You guys know that 2026 is already confirmed to have 4teams, right? 16 groups of 3; top two go through. Champion still plays 7 matches, but with one group match replaced by a knockout round of 32 match.

They were mulling over expanding Qatar to 48 as well which would necessitate other Gulf states hosting matches. They tabled that vote so it probably won't happen.