FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

There is a chain of thought in England that because the team is so young and expectations are low they will just go for it with no nerves , 5-0 at HT says that thought is proving correct.

Ok only Panama and much tougher games ahead but they were a breath of fresh air , might be quieter in the 2nd half .

14 minutes ago, Bazox said:

There is a chain of thought in England that because the team is so young and expectations are low they will just go for it with no nerves , 5-0 at HT says that thought is proving correct.

Ok only Panama and much tougher games ahead but they were a breath of fresh air , might be quieter in the 2nd half .

I thought of you when watching this game. I didn't think Panama would be this overmatched but here we are. England looks impressive. 

17 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

40 teams means countries like USA, Italy etc. They have to do it because certain areas could use more spots.

I disagree. They did it, so that their graft has the veneer I legitimacy. 

The FIFA Corruption playbook is/was as follows:

Tiny nations, with little-to-no interest in soccer have the same voting rights as Brazil. 

In the past, that meant criminals in FIFA spreading bribes to nations like Aruba, in exchange for votes. (This is how Qatar and Russia happened, instead of England & the US.)

Now, with 48 nations, it gives FIFA the chance to gin up the graft amongst more "qualified" nations for the WC.

I hate that the US arent @ the WC. But expansion has nothing to do with them or Italy. It has everything to do with corruption. 

Thanks for the update. But DAMN, is that stupid.

I've already skipped a bunch of unwatchable games (Rus v Saudi Arabia, Belgium v Tunisia, England v Panama)

When it gets to 48 teams, I'll probably skip a dozen or so blowouts. Life is too short to waste on anti-soccer.

20 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

This is up there for most entertaining world cup ever

Yes I agree , there have been some great games , Serbia v Switzerland two teams I would not normally watch but it turned out to be a cracker. 

I wouldn’t have been that opposed to 40 teams if the lowest ranked 16 had to do a play-in game to be the last team into each group. Of course that means the play-in games would need to be about 4 days before the tournament really begins so that might not make much sense. 

Now if 48 teams with 16 groups of three isn’t bad enough, the top 2 from each group moves on. I can’t wait to see groups where team team is 0-0-2 with each game ending 1-1. Or everyone 1-1-0 with each having same goals for/allowed. Drawing of lots! Dumb 

or do they go the NHL/Olympic hockey points system and include a loser point and go straight to PKs to settle ties. I doubt it but still...

Edited by zenryan

Thought the new Spanish coach was going to have to be carted off in an ambulance.  

Spain had two huge breaks there...probably never should have been allowed the corner in the first place, Morocco was like the White Sox there in terms of getting the benefit of the call.  Almost like, well you guys don’t really belong here, so let’s figure out any possible way to advance Spain.