FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

4 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

Mexico shits the bed and still advances. Germany with a historically bad WC. 

I kept saying that Germany was gonna make it, just cause that's what Germany always does. I think they thought the same thing. Gotta think Leroy Sane could have helped.

4 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I kept saying that Germany was gonna make it, just cause that's what Germany always does. I think they thought the same thing. Gotta think Leroy Sane could have helped.

I just kept waiting for that late Germany goal to clinch their birth but it just just never happened. It's been a surprising WC so far and that's a good thing.

The fair play tiebreaker is so freaking stupid.  I'd rather have a random draw be the decider before fair play because then teams have to play until the end rather than doing literally nothing for the last 15 minutes of the game like Japan/Poland. 

Edited by whitesoxfan99

2 minutes ago, Bazox said:

Can't remember what they did in the previous WCs , unless its never been needed before .

It is obviously way down the list of tiebreakers so it isn't the end of the world and I don't recall it coming up before but I find it really dumb that can ever play a role in who advances. 

23 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

In 1990 they drew lots, which is basically picking names out of a hat.

I think the fair play idea is better than that , I’m trying to come up with something else they could do , if they were playing each other then a penalty shootout but as in Senegal , Japan ?

Before penalty shootouts in European cup matches the captains were called to the centre and the referee flipped a blue/red disc , I read about a Celtic v Benfica semi final were both teams won at home 3-0 , the Scots went through on the flip.

France got a wake up call when trailing 1-2 to Argentina the 19 year old Mbappe (second most expensive player transfer in the world) sprang into action and ran the show. Close 4-3 but the French won easy , far too athletic for Argentina .

4 hours ago, Bazox said:

France got a wake up call when trailing 1-2 to Argentina the 19 year old Mbappe (second most expensive player transfer in the world) sprang into action and ran the show. Close 4-3 but the French won easy , far too athletic for Argentina .

Disagreed. Argentina's back 6 (4 defenders & 2 holding mids ) gave it up like a $10 whore. This game was there for Argentina to win, if:

1. Di Maria bothers to track back for France's 2nd goal, &

2. The Argentine defense can learn to clear their own area for goals #3 & 4.

On balance, Argentina's failure was one of poor organization, & a lack of fight from all but Messi & Mascherano today.

By contrast, Uruguay look well organized, & look to all be pullingfrom the same end of the rope. France would be foolish to underrate them.

59 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Buh bye Messi. Buh bye Ronaldo.

See, I don't get this. Why would you celebrate the two best players' not being in this thing?

Life is short, & if I'm going to watch a game, I prefer to watch excellence. YMMV.

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

By contrast, Uruguay look well organized

Yes they will be much harder to beat , France were my pre-tournament tip , I like Uruguay and it's a pity they have to meet so soon .

Portugal were unlucky to meet Uruguay (all because of that crazy Iranian penalty ) but they really would be nowhere without Ronaldo and were never going to win the WC so although I'm sad Ronaldo is gone the better team move on . 

Messi just doesn't seem the same player in an Argentine shirt , the weight of a nation is on his shoulders , their biggest mistake was not playing Aguerro for the full 90 minutes in every game , he is one of the greatest goal scorers ever.

18 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

See, I don't get this. Why would you celebrate the two best players' not being in this thing?

Life is short, & if I'm going to watch a game, I prefer to watch excellence. YMMV.

I get what you are saying but the French team is so talented,  I'd much rather watch them then Messi struggle with this national team yet again. 

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I get what you are saying but the French team is so talented,  I'd much rather watch them then Messi struggle with this national team yet again. 

OK, so turn off the FOX commentators for a second. The man had TWO ASSISTS against France. Exactly how is that "struggling," other than Fat Tony Meola deciding that it was?

If the back 6 of Argentina had any heart, brains, or guts, Messi would have been the Man of The Match, and Argentina would have gone through. 

57 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

What a joke that they didn’t call those penalties on Russia 

Are you surprised?

Totally saw this coming, because the ref doesn't want to die.

34 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Russia!!!

That's what Spain gets for their tiki taki bullshit for the first 80 minutes

Why do people actually WANT Russia to go through? They did what they needed to do to go through, and Spain helped them.

I'd much rather watch Spain than Russia on any given matchday. 

14 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

OK, so turn off the FOX commentators for a second. The man had TWO ASSISTS against France. Exactly how is that "struggling," other than Fat Tony Meola deciding that it was?

If the back 6 of Argentina had any heart, brains, or guts, Messi would have been the Man of The Match, and Argentina would have gone through. 

Are you surprised?

Totally saw this coming, because the ref doesn't want to die.

Why do people actually WANT Russia to go through? They did what they needed to do to go through, and Spain helped them.

I'd much rather watch Spain than Russia on any given matchday. 

Death by 1,000 passes? I'd rather watch Russia anyday

23 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Totally saw this coming, because the ref doesn't want to die

:lol:

23 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Why do people actually WANT Russia to go through?

I don't they are crap , they'll get a good drubbing by a more direct team .

26 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Death by 1,000 passes? I'd rather watch Russia anyday

OK, I'm game: 

1. Exactly what about Russia's national team is noteworthy, memorable, or worth watching?

2. You b**** about tiki-taka, but what about Russia's playing style is in any way appealing?

[And before you answer, remember that we are all finite beings, with indeterminate and limited time left on Earth.]

As a neutral fan, I'd rather watch quality, because I don't have all day and all night to watch a bus-parking operation. If I wanted that, I can always go to Toyota Park for a fire game. Life is short. Watch quality, rather than some ginned-up media meme, I say.