Eloy/Kopech could join Sox in mid July

southsider2k5

14 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I doubt Eloy will be up that soon. He'll probably see Charlotte sometime in early-mid June when Robert returns and heads to the Dash. I bet they keep Eloy in Charlotte until the September call-ups.

Agree. That would certainly be a very logical approach at this juncture. 

6 hours ago, Tony said:

It was a media scrum with Hahn.

And Gregor's a beat writer.

6 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Don't know what that's based on, but meh, I'd prefer them up sooner IF they are ready.

I'm especially directing that towards Eloy since he seems ready at the AA level. 

Any service time experts?

21 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I doubt Eloy will be up that soon. He'll probably see Charlotte sometime in early-mid June when Robert returns and heads to the Dash. I bet they keep Eloy in Charlotte until the September call-ups.

But why though?  Calling him up in September burns as much service time as calling him up in July.  At that point you wait until late May of 2019 to bring him up.

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But why though?  Calling him up in September burns as much service time as calling him up in July.  At that point you wait until late May of 2019 to bring him up.

If it was up to me he would be up here tomorrow. But if you go by the rhetoric and pattern of this front office, they will probably keep him there for a couple months, unless he does to AAA for like a month striaght what he is doing to AA, or better. 

Again, he needs to exceed the expectations of the club at each level. Until he does that, he isn't getting called up. So who knows. But if I were betting, September is my call.

Edited by Scoots

34 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

And Gregor's a beat writer + the author of the greatest Sox comic of all time.

Any service time experts?

There is no difference in cost or service time between calling the guy up mid-July and calling him up in September.

If they wait until 2 weeks in April 2019, that would save a year of service time and buy us an extra year of free agency. I think Eloy Jiminez may accidentally trigger nuclear fusion  hitting a baseball too hard at AAA if we make him wait until April 15.

If we call either of them up now, they would be "Super 2 players". It would NOT cost us a year of control, we would have both of them 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024. However, if they are called up now, or any time before ~mid July, the called up players would be arbitration eligible in 2021.

If they're as good as they look, if they are called up now, in 2021 they would each be paid ~$12 million, and their salaries in each subsequent season will be higher. On the other hand, if they are called up after the Super-2 deadline, called up in mid-July, then in 2021 they will be minimum salary players again and their first arbitration year will be 2022. Effectively, each player will probably make another $20 million in total prior to 2024 if they are called up now compared to what they will make if you wait until mid-July.

If you call them up now, they have 4 arbitration years. If you wait until mid-July, they have 3 arbitration years. If you wait until April 15, you add in an extra year of control through 2025, but that year is an arbitration year and the player would be back to having 4 arbitration years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agreed. Calling him up in September and having him start next season on the MLB team is kinda dumb. Call him up before September or just wait, like you said.

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you wait until May, you might as well wait through mid June.

Realistically the one way we shouldn't see Eloy relatively soon is if he runs into a roadblock at AAA.

I just do not think Kopech will be ready in two months. If he were dominating AAA, that would be different, but he is mixing in great starts with mediocre starts. Maybe it's my philosophy, but I don't think a player should be promoted mid-season unless the current level is not a challenge. 

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you wait until May, you might as well wait through mid June.

Realistically the one way we shouldn't see Eloy relatively soon is if he runs into a roadblock at AAA.

I meant mid April 2019, but you’re right, any later and you then face the super 2 question.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

16 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I just do not think Kopech will be ready in two months. If he were dominating AAA, that would be different, but he is mixing in great starts with mediocre starts. Maybe it's my philosophy, but I don't think a player should be promoted mid-season unless the current level is not a challenge. 

His numbers were pretty damn good prior to his 4th inning blowup in his last start.  If he strings three more quality starts together I think he’ll be up soon.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His numbers were pretty damn good prior to his 4th inning blowup in his last start.  If he strings three more quality starts together I think he’ll be up soon.

I think it's pretty much a given that he will be up at some point prior to Sept. this year.

I don't get why they would be on similar timelines. Kopech is going to eventually max out AAA hitters this summer and be ready to start the major league learning process. Eloy hasn't even made that jump to AAA yet, so why would they slingshot him right to the bigs in a lost season? He needs to get called up to AAA very, very soon if it makes any sense for him to be up in Chicago this summer, because if you wait until September, you may as well wait until next May.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't get why they would be on similar timelines. Kopech is going to eventually max out AAA hitters this summer and be ready to start the major league learning process. Eloy hasn't even made that jump to AAA yet, so why would they slingshot him right to the bigs in a lost season? He needs to get called up to AAA very, very soon if it makes any sense for him to be up in Chicago this summer, because if you wait until September, you may as well wait until next May.

I think some of the reason is that Charlotte is a hitter's paradise and Birmingham is a tough place for hitters. They fully expect the time at AAA to be short because it really won't tell them as much.

I don't think Kopech is affected by the quality of the competition as much as just his own consistency. AAA hitters haven't shown any ability to hit him so it's just a matter of whether you want him to work through control and third pitch stuff in AAA or MLB.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I don't think Kopech is affected by the quality of the competition as much as just his own consistency. AAA hitters haven't shown any ability to hit him so it's just a matter of whether you want him to work through control and third pitch stuff in AAA or MLB.

Kopech numbers in AAA are very concerning. He is showing very suspect command, sports a high ERA and is showing the makings of a relief pitcher to me (great arm, poor command); albeit a high leverage relief pitcher. I was really hoping moving Sale, the Sox would get a top rotation starter in return. He is still 22 so tons of developmental time left, but it's hard not to have doubts. His arm is electric and he'll have a good to great MLB career I think, it just may not be in the rotation. I don't think the Sox should bring him up until he improves his command at AAA. Poor command in the ML will end up getting him toasted, no matter how fast he throws it. These days high 90s doesn't scare hitters, especially if you can't put the pitch where you want it. 

Edited by kwolf68

Just now, elrockinMT said:

I would prefer opening day 2019. I would like to see them competing for ROY awards. This season is a loss anyway so let them mature in the minors 

If either of these guys is not big league ready by September 1 of this year, then screw it I'll wait for April 15.