Trey Michalczewski

beautox

I'm sure some of you have noticed but Trey Michalczewski is really turning it on this season at AA. Hes been playing around the infield a bit more(2B)  but he is only 23 and while this is his third trip through AA and hes played 272 games there, hes still age appropriate.  With no one standing in his way at AAA I think he will be moved mid-season and if he produces, could likely be a Sept call up.

Trey's BB% and K% are similar to his career average but his BABIP is near .400 this year, but his splits are interesting; maybe he should give up being a RH hitter - against RHP .324/.407/.529 - .937 with a 12 BB% and 23 K%.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure his numbers look much better than last year, seem like they are really driven by the .400 BABIP you mentioned.

I'd say they are FAR more impressive than last year, I guess that's what 3 years in AA will do

That being said I'm really rooting for the kid
Met him when he played with KAN and is one of the nicest guys out there

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I'd say they are FAR more impressive than last year, I guess that's what 3 years in AA will do

That being said I'm really rooting for the kid
Met him when he played with KAN and is one of the nicest guys out there

What’s more impressive though?  K rate is basically the same, BB rate is down a point & a half, ISO is up slightly, line drive rate about the same.  Sure, his BABIP is up 75 points but how much of that is real?  He’s hitting more grounders and less infield fly balls, so maybe some of it is legit, but he’s due for some serious regression and when that happens his numbers will most likely look very similar.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Not sure he's a September call up this year, more likely up at some point next year to some capacity

He's nobody right now.  He's got a fair amount of work to do to put himself back on the radar for the major league track right now.

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's nobody right now.  He's got a fair amount of work to do to put himself back on the radar for the major league track right now.

And yet, despite this being his 3rd crack at AA,  he is younger than pretty much every other hitter in Birmingham right now except Eloy (and actually younger than a few guys in W-S).  It seems like he has been around forever, but maybe he is putting it together.  If nothing else, he has at least made himself another interesting guy to look for in the box score each night.  You'd like to see more walks and fewer K's but  he does seem to be hitting for more power.  He had 25 XBH last year in Birmingham in 419 PA, this year he has 11 in 120.  I think that is some reason for optimism.  

Edited by turnin' two

Just now, turnin' two said:

And yet, despite this being his 3rd crack at AA,  he is younger than pretty much every other hitter in Birmingham right now except Eloy.  It seems like he has been around forever, but maybe he is putting it together.  If nothing else, he has at least made himself another interesting guy to look for in the box score each night.  You'd like to see more walks and fewer K's but  he does seem to be hitting for more power.  He had 25 XBH last year in Birmingham in 419 PA, this year he has 11 in 120.  I think that is some reason for optimism.  

Optimism?  Sure?  September call up?  Uh, no.  Let's see him sustain what he started and prove this isn't a BABIP fluke first.

I've been following him a bit and my attitude is that I won't be treating this as a real development unless:

1. His BB%/K% change, especially the latter since it's pretty high.

2. His actual production gets better such that there's no room for doubt that his contact has gotten much better.

As I see it now, it's not obvious statistically that he's doing anything differently than in the past.

2 hours ago, soxforlife05 said:

He could actually get some time at 3B on the major league roster this year. Worth a look. Let's see what he can do at AAA.

What in the world are you talking about?   Trey hasn’t shown much improvement this year and is nowhere close to getting a major league look.  And why would you want to give him playing time at Sanchez’s expense?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

What in the world are you talking about?   Trey hasn’t shown much improvement this year and is nowhere close to getting a major league look.  And why would you want to give him playing time at Sanchez’s expense?

It's one position where we actually have multiple options. If Yolmer got hit by a car, Davidson would slot right in.