Rangers @ White Sox, Moore @ Fulmer, 5/18, 7:10 PM, NBCH+, GT

soxfan49

Yeah, I too remember when we signed Soria to a multi-year contract with the expectation that he'd pitch well.

Oh wait, he's only here for this season with the expectation that he either helps the tank or becomes a flip candidate. 

• Like 1

1. The announce team has really built on me lately. The first few games I couldn't stand them, but now, I actually really enjoy them. Cheers!

2. Our team is a fucking disaster. Seriously. Moncada is the only thing that means anything. Anderson is somewhat nice, and Abreu is cool, but Abreu is iffy in regards to the future and he needs runners on base to be productive. Outside of that, there's fucking nothing. Our pitchers get absolutely annihilated. Our RP is just trash, like horrible trash. Our SP has no one on it that gives me any faith. This team is HORRID. 

I came in with thoughts that maybe we'd find some decent RP with these fireballers and we'd have Gio and ReyLo to look forward to. Maybe Fulmer would surprise and reach some potential.

All has failed. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, I too remember when we signed Soria to a multi-year contract with the expectation that he'd pitch well.

Oh wait, he's only here for this season with the expectation that he either helps the tank or becomes a flip candidate. 

Is it me or is whining about Soria stinking up the joint in a game that was a blow out before he came in just a bit redundant?

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

I know some have their criticism of the two but I certainly enjoy their broadcasts 

The change for me has been Bennetti... he doesn't make as many useless small jokes...

...Also another big change is that Stoney doesn't diss him as much. 

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Soria - this org. certainly can scout the veterans.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Him and Avilan were not brought in to help the tank. They were brought in as flip candidates. So far, those two and MiGo are looking like a waste of 15 million dollars.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I swear a few posters have just quit trying to understand reality.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

There is no "help the tank."  That's an excuse.  You don't pay $8 million in the anticipation of poor performance.
His purpose was to be flipped.  Yea, it doesn't really matter in the long scheme; but Shields mattered.  The 10-15 such stiffs they signed when trying to contend mattered.
They need to do better.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

There is no "help the tank."  That's an excuse.  You don't pay $8 million in the anticipation of poor performance.
His purpose was to be flipped.  Yea, it doesn't really matter in the long scheme; but Shields mattered.  The 10-15 such stiffs they signed when trying to contend mattered.
They need to do better.

I love this post. The amount of veterans they have signed over the last 5-10 years that come over and seemingly forget how to play the game has been alarming.

Let’s not forget that last “over the top” free agent class in 2014:

Robertson, Cabrera, LaRoche, Bonifacio and Beckham...or our Rule 5 guys like Nieto (also 2014) and later Dylan Covey.  

Of course, when they sign a veteran catcher, for example, Alex Avila was terrible with us (he did walk a few times) or someone like Austin Jackson, they later go on to be productive/suddenly healthier elsewhere.   Derek Holland (another fairly expensive deal for a rebuilding team) immediately comes to mind, he’s been serviceable with the Giants.

About the only examples running against that trend are/were Swarzak and Kahnle.  When your main development victories are Matt Davidson, Yolmer Sanchez and Leury Garcia, you’re going to be in some trouble.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Let’s not forget that last “over the top” free agent class in 2014:

Robertson, Cabrera, LaRoche, Bonifacio and Beckham...or our Rule 5 guys like Nieto (also 2014) and later Dylan Covey.  

Of course, when they sign a veteran catcher, for example, Alex Avila was terrible with us (he did walk a few times) or someone like Austin Jackson, they later go on to be productive/suddenly healthier elsewhere.   Derek Holland (another fairly expensive deal for a rebuilding team) immediately comes to mind, he’s been serviceable with the Giants.

About the only examples running against that trend are/were Swarzak and Kahnle.  When your main development victories are Matt Davidson, Yolmer Sanchez and Leury Garcia, you’re going to be in some trouble.

Holland has been a trainwreck for SF. He has a 5.00 ERA in a pitch-friendly park and his peripherals suggest things will only get worse.

I'd be surprised if he finishes the year as a major league pitcher. I'm surprised someone gave him a chance this year. 

38 minutes ago, Richie said:

Holland has been a trainwreck for SF. He has a 5.00 ERA in a pitch-friendly park and his peripherals suggest things will only get worse.

I'd be surprised if he finishes the year as a major league pitcher. I'm surprised someone gave him a chance this year. 

Holland also has a WHIP of 1.28 and is averaging 8.5 Ks per 9 innings.  He had a good April and May with the Sox, but without those K numbers.  He clearly wore down. One thing that might help is that he's exceed 90 pitches only twice this season.  Last year, he exceeded 90 pitches in all 10 of his April and May starts.

5 hours ago, fathom said:

I've been enjoying him waiting for after the catcher visit didn't work to finally go out and say something. Maybe once he should go out first?

Love to know what he says , " oy! bozo get your shit together" or some such .

11 hours ago, Nokona said:

They're more likely to call back up Rondon and have Yolmer play OF

Rondon looks like a playah. Sat in the misty rain for two hours and said enough. Word is that Covey is pitching well. Maybe Duncan can impart some helpful insights for Carson. Carry on. 

8 hours ago, Richie said:

Derek pitched a shutout last time out for the G's. He is still serviceable for the time being. Looked about like Fulmer last year to no avail. 

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I swear a few posters have just quit trying to understand reality.

Why would they pay him that kind of jack just to assure losses? You could pitch Fathom and accomplish that for 500,000 a year. It makes no sense to acquire Soria so we'd be sure to lose more, though that in fact was and is a certainty. It's kind of a stretch, IMO to think they'd pay that much money just to make sure we lose. No way he was going to be a flip candidate. He's past that stage of his career. He's just independent league fodder right now. Sox talent evaluators should be worried about their jobs after acquisitions of Soria and Shields.

Edited by greg775

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Why would they pay him that kind of jack just to assure losses? You could pitch Fathom and accomplish that for 500,000 a year. It makes no sense to acquire Soria so we'd be sure to lose more, though that in fact was and is a certainty. It's kind of a stretch, IMO to think they'd pay that much money just to make sure we lose. No way he was going to be a flip candidate. He's past that stage of his career. He's just independent league fodder right now. Sox talent evaluators should be worried about their jobs after acquisitions of Soria and Shields.

If Greg was a sportswriter,  he would just write headlines.  Who cares about what actually happened in the game.

If Greg was a screenwriter he would only would roll the opening scene and the credits.

If Greg was a director he would only say action and cut.

This has been another episode of Greg doesn't care what actually happened.