Delmonico Out 4-6 Weeks w Fractured Metacarpal

Heads22

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just a footnote, apparently the 40 man is full and Elmore is not on it.

The one OF in Charlotte on the 40 is Tilson.

Thanks for checking on this. Elmore was replaced late in a 1-0 game, so could have been a defensive replacement move. I don’t think Elmore plays much LF.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just a footnote, apparently the 40 man is full and Elmore is not on it.

The one OF in Charlotte on the 40 is Tilson.

They could get around that by putting Delmonico on the 60 day DL if they think its closer to 6 weeks plus some minor league games to get back in rhythm. They could also just use Yolmer in the OF if they need it until Avi comes back. 

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

They could get around that by putting Delmonico on the 60 day DL if they think its closer to 6 weeks plus some minor league games to get back in rhythm. They could also just use Yolmer in the OF if they need it until Avi comes back. 

6 full weeks would be 42 days on the high end. They also are going to need to make room for Rodon in a couple of weeks, plus maybe Kopech and Eloy soon. They could also need to add relievers at some point. 

I would bet on Tilson.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

6 full weeks would be 42 days on the high end. They also are going to need to make room for Rodon in a couple of weeks, plus maybe Kopech and Eloy soon. They could also need to add relievers at some point. 

I would bet on Tilson.

It is most likely closer to the 6 weeks. The callus of the bone will form in 4 weeks. This is when it will be stable. However, it won't be fully healed for 8 weeks. It just depends on how large the fracture is. The third metacarpal is the most stable bone which all the other metacarpals move around when you grab something. So it is important to heal properly.

• Thanks 1

And Thompson...who has done even worse statistically.

One thing’s for sure, Avi Garcia will get every single at-bat to establish even one iota of trade value before July 31st.

Or, if Tim Tebow was putting up the same numbers for BIRM as he is for the Mets’ AA team, he would currently be first in line for a promotion to Chicago (over Tilson and Fisher...as Jimenez isn’t going anywhere soon.)

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

It is most likely closer to the 6 weeks. The callus of the bone will form in 4 weeks. This is when it will be stable. However, it won't be fully healed for 8 weeks. It just depends on how large the fracture is. The third metacarpal is the most stable bone which all the other metacarpals move around when you grab something. So it is important to heal properly.

Not a surgical procedure at least? (I'm assuming)

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Tilson's clock is running anyway, right? Might as well be him.

I don’t believe it currently, though the time he spent on the DL in 2016 would count against his service time. Not 100% sure if last season did or not, but guessing not.

Wow, talk about a disastrous season for our OF group.  I don’t even need to look at the numbers to tell you they are the worst OF group in the MLB and probably in recent baseball history.  

Our one “semi-established” OF got off to a rough start and is now injured and is out god knows how long.  His trade value deteriorates by the day.  Our CF is one of the worst White Sox players I have ever seen, right up there with Jacob May & Andy Gonzalez.  Our LF went from an interesting rebuilding season flyer guy to replacement level player with no pop in like six weeks.  

The replacements include a guy who can’t hit (Thompson) and a guy who may be the worst defensive OF I have seen in my lifetime (Palka).  When Leury Garcia is your best healthy major league OF you know things have gone really bad and I say that as a fan of his.  Oh yeah, and don’t forgot our best OF option in AAA getting injured and missing the opportunity of a lifetime to be the one turd to rise to the top.

At least we know brighter days are ahead.

5 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

That might have been it for Delmonico... they gave him a solid shot however.

Last year he looked like maybe he had something.. this year just no offensive pop to justify being a slow outfielder who can't defend.

After only 257 at bats, you are ready to declare him done? Thaffs not evrn half a season. I wouldnt say thats a solid shot.

• Like 2

Had the same injury in 2012 ( albeit by more stupid means ) and it healed up without surgery. My hand looked exactly like that.

ptatc was actually my “second opinion” and with his help I avoided going the surgerical route and it’s healed up fine.

From what I recall thou, I couldn’t imagine swinging at full strength after 4 to 6 weeks.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, talk about a disastrous season for our OF group.  I don’t even need to look at the numbers to tell you they are the worst OF group in the MLB and probably in recent baseball history.  

Our one “semi-established” OF got off to a rough start and is now injured and is out god knows how long.  His trade value deteriorates by the day.  Our CF is one of the worst White Sox players I have ever seen, right up there with Jacob May & Andy Gonzalez.  Our LF went from an interesting rebuilding season flyer guy to replacement level player with no pop in like six weeks.  

The replacements include a guy who can’t hit (Thompson) and a guy who may be the worst defensive OF I have seen in my lifetime (Palka).  When Leury Garcia is your best healthy major league OF you know things have gone really bad and I say that as a fan of his.  Oh yeah, and don’t forgot our best OF option in AAA getting injured and missing the opportunity of a lifetime to be the one turd to rise to the top.

At least we know brighter days are ahead.

I agree with all of this except for the Andy Gonzalez part.  I’ll never forget that 10 or so pitch AB against Zumaya. Anybody else remember that?

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

After only 257 at bats, you are ready to declare him done? Thaffs not evrn half a season. I wouldnt say thats a solid shot.

I guess I thought he had more AB's last year... But the only possible position I can see him at is DH, and not sure he fits that mold that well.