Fulmer sent to Charlotte

Whisox05

One would guess Covey and Tilson are coming up...talk about being bowled over with excitement.

Well, at least Dylan has earned another shot.  If he flops, maybe they’ll give a couple of starts to Beck just to see what happens...nothing to lose.  They already know what they have in Santiago and Volstad.

2 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I'll guess Covey gets the call.

I was thinking the Sox would put Fulmer in the pen so I'm a little surprised he was optioned to Charlotte.

If he can't figure out how to throw strikes, he won't help in the bullpen. As i said in the game thread, his piches seemed to group well but just out of the strike zone. He needs to move over on the rubber or find a way to get that group in the strike zone. His pitches have excellent movement. 

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If he can't figure out how to throw strikes, he won't help in the bullpen. As i said in the game thread, his piches seemed to group well but just out of the strike zone. He needs to move over on the rubber or find a way to get that group in the strike zone. His pitches have excellent movement. 

No doubt he has great stuff with movement, just doesn't command it well. I really like his cutter when it's on, like the game in Toronto earlier in the season.

I was thinking they would keep him in the pen to continue working with Cooper. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against sending Fulmer down to continue to work as a starter.

Edited by BlackSox13

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

No doubt he great stuff with movement, just doesn't command it well. I really like his cutter when it's on, like the game in Toronto earlier in the season.

I was thinking they would keep him in the pen to continue working with Cooper. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against sending Fulmer down to continue to work as a starter.

Not to take away from Cooper, but Matt Zaleski does receive some praise down in Charlotte. Perhaps he can right the ship.

Fair enough. I still don't think we've seen the last of him as I'm a believer in his stuff, but if he cannot repeat his motion and cannot control pitches then the stuff doesn't translate into outs. At least when we rushed him in 2016 the success of that season was worth it.

• Like 1

I hope he never returns to the big league club until it's deemed he has big league stuff and big league command. I guess if he's as bad as our current bullpen guys, he could be turned into a middle reliever. But please, never bring him up to the parent club again, unless his arm proves worthy. He's very very poor right now.

That is the right move even if he winds up passed and never gets a rotation slot. He needs to repeat his delivery and develop consistency, after having people working on his delivery since he was drafted he can't do that without innings. 

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Fair enough. I still don't think we've seen the last of him as I'm a believer in his stuff, but if he cannot repeat his motion and cannot control pitches then the stuff doesn't translate into outs. At least when we rushed him in 2016 the success of that season was worth it.

Sometimes a wake up call is what a young player needs to get back on track

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

Sometimes a wake up call is what a young player needs to get back on track

I don't know him personally but I don't think Fulmer needs a "wake up call", I think the Sox have screwed with him way too much. His "Wake up call" was being shelled when he was called up to save the 2016 bullpen (Thanks Rick!). Since then he's been doing everything people have asked him to do to develop a more consistent delivery, he has made delivery changes a number of times, but his delivery is wild as a starting point and there's been so many attempts to alter it, with no time to see if changes work, that the end result is him getting shelled every first inning. 

He has to get into a single rotation, a single release point, that he can repeat, and throw strikes from. The stuff is there, but the Sox haven't been able to harvest it by turning good stuff into a consistent pitcher because of the choices they made in 2016, and they are still paying for it here.

• Like 2

I like what Fulmer features but he is likely best served in short stints being effectively wild if he can't get a release point down, hes got quality stuff just no idea how to control it.

13 minutes ago, beautox said:

I like what Fulmer features but he is likely best served in short stints being effectively wild if he can't get a release point down, hes got quality stuff just no idea how to control it.

If he can't throw strikes with his stuff then short stints won't work either. He isn't great in many innings and it's only 7 inning batches, but right now this year, his worst ERA is in the first inning. If he's going to be a successful reliever, even if his delivery wanders with time...he HAS to be able to come in throwing strikes, and he can't do that right now. If he could come in and throw strikes for 1 inning, then he'll be a top closer in this league with his delivery and the movement on his stuff, but he can't do that right now.

Fulmer has a 4,96 career ERA in the minors and a career 5::58 ERA in AAA. He wasn’t ruined by being rushed. He just had no business being in the major leagues. Maybe something clicks. He has had some flashes of brilliance. I just don’t see how you can go from a guy who even can be considered a top 10draft pick to where he is now. If he was throwing what he is throwing now in college, there is no way he would have been successful.

Obviously it would be foolish to give up on him, but I think it is pretty likely he is a lost cause. I know Andrew Miller was awful for a while then became a stud reliever. But that would require Fulmer being able to throw strikes something he shows no evidence  he will ever be able to do. If he  cannot throw strikes, he will need to find another line of work,

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know him personally but I don't think Fulmer needs a "wake up call", I think the Sox have screwed with him way too much. His "Wake up call" was being shelled when he was called up to save the 2016 bullpen (Thanks Rick!). Since then he's been doing everything people have asked him to do to develop a more consistent delivery, he has made delivery changes a number of times, but his delivery is wild as a starting point and there's been so many attempts to alter it, with no time to see if changes work, that the end result is him getting shelled every first inning. 

On a roll Balta. Said it many times before, Sox crippled his development. 

Or the talent evaluations were just way off.

We’ve heard the same things said about Fulmer as used to be argued about Gordon Beckham, Viciedo, Brian Anderson, Josh Fields, etc.   That Tim Anderson was rushed.   Even that Moncada was rushed, because he wasn’t hitting LH pitching very well and kind of leveled off after getting out to a quick start in April in Charlotte.

It’s not like we have had an assembly line of pitching in recent years.   Sale, obviously....Danks for awhile, but other than those two and Quintana, it has been a pretty barren wasteland.

I hope that 5 years from now we’re not saying the White Sox also messed up the development of Lucas Giolito, for example, because there’s clearly some “head issues” and physical ones as well with the erosion of 4-5 MPH off his “original” velocity post-TJS.  That’s probably why the traded “looked too good to be true” in the first place.   

• Like 1