Abreu- does he stay or go?

soxfan49

A lot has been made of the rebuild, but the one player who’s been seemingly lost in the shuffle is Jose Abreu. He’s likely a tad older than they say and his defense leaves some to be desired.

However there’s no question that his leadership and flat out presence has been helpful and important in helping acclimate/sign Moncada & Robert, respectively.

So, Jose Abreu: in 2021, is he on the White Sox or not?

20 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I vote Stay as DH,best case scenario.

If he returns, it'll be to play first.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Good question.  I'd lean to trade, but I just don't think they'll get full-value offers.

The player that I believe that teams will start calling about is Jace Fry

No one is calling on Fry with a whopping total of what, 7.1 IP. I love what I've seen too, but I doubt anyone's calling on him.

Would love to see him stay, but at the same time you have to listen on trade offers. If a desperate team at the deadline is willing to give 2 good prospects it will be hard to turn down. Not sure what Jose's value around the league is, but I'd ask for a lot if no one is willing to meet the requirements Jose would stay. The deal would start with a top 50 prospect for me

Let's be real here. The growth of Matt Davidson makes Jose expendable. I'm not sure how great of an offer the sox get for him, though. 1st basemen are a dime a dozen. The sox could eat some of his contract and send him to a playoff team in need of a 1b/dh. No question about it you do that. Jose won't be a part of the potential competitive teams in the future (as a player). 

6 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Let's be real here. The growth of Matt Davidson makes Jose expendable. I'm not sure how great of an offer the sox get for him, though. 1st basemen are a dime a dozen. The sox could eat some of his contract and send him to a playoff team in need of a 1b/dh. No question about it you do that. Jose won't be a part of the potential competitive teams in the future (as a player). 

There are some teams who need a 1B right now. The Mets. The Yankees. The Astros. The Indians. The Mariners.

It really depends on well he hits and how teams view him. Sure 1B/DH has become crowded but if Abreu is viewed as a .900-.950 OPS hitter moving forward that really doesn't matter teams will find a way to get his bat in the lineup. If he falls more in line with 2015-2016 then the return won't be near as much.

Even if you have a 800ish OPS hitter at 1B (none of the teams I listed do). A guy projected at .900 is still giving you a huge improvement and if you don't have a good DH (AL) you can still stash Abreu or that 800 OPS hitter there essentially improving two spots in your lineup with one trade.

Lol...geezus Christ...people are whiny about how bad this team is...and you want to ship off its best hitter?!?!!?   What. In. The. Fuck?!?  He CHOSE to be with the Sox. He signed a deal well below his value. He’s invaluable to the young Latino players and clubhouse in general. And some of want to ship him off?!? Lol...goddamn. Some of you don’t deserve a good team to cheer for...honestly. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wanne said:

Lol...geezus Christ...people are whiny about how bad this team is...and you want to ship off its best hitter?!?!!?   What. In. The. Fuck?!?  He CHOSE to be with the Sox. He signed a deal well below his value. He’s invaluable to the young Latino players and clubhouse in general. And some of want to ship him off?!? Lol...goddamn. Some of you don’t deserve a good team to cheer for...honestly. 

Some people are hopeless when it comes to rebuilds and also Abreu has nothing to do with having a good team to cheer for we'll be bad regardless of with him or without him for the next two years.

I could see trading him. Sox still need talent, particularly left side of infield and pitching, ideally left-handed pitching. Its doubtful he will bring back fair value but the Yankees have some interesting targets such as Sheffield and Estrada. Rockies have several interesting infielders in their minor league system. Would love it if we somehow matched up with Brewers but they seem pretty well set at 1B.

Confident he'll be here in the long run

Davidson still has a little while to prove his worth as well with no Jiminez's or Adofo's or Robert's pushing him at 3B

Ideally I'd like to see Davidson as a 1B/3B/DH on a winning team here along with Yolmer as a super utility guy

9 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Good question.  I'd lean to trade, but I just don't think they'll get full-value offers.

The player that I believe that teams will start calling about is Jace Fry

Can’t trade a lefty like Fry when he’s got another six years of control.  He can be a key part of our long-term bullpen.

In all honesty, we should listen on offers for Abreu, but man would it be hard for me to move him.  The reasons are many & obvious.  First & foremost, he’s one of the best hitters in baseball.  Trading him instantly creates a huge need in the middle of the lineup.  And no, let’s not view Jimenez as somehow being his replacement.  The quickest path to contention is to add a couple impact bats in addition to Abreu.  Eloy can be one of those, but swapping him for Jose doesn’t move the needle.

Beyond the on-the-field stuff, dude just seems to be a tremendous leader and clubhouse presence.  While it gets said repeatedly, his influence on the young LatAm guys is vitally important.  And I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but I think his relationship with Moncada is perhaps the one factor that could get him to consider a long-term extension before hitting free agency.  Regardless, I truly think there is value in keeping Jose around as an ambassador to the team & brand.  

If I felt Abreu was a strong candidate for a sudden drop off in production then I might reconsider, but I don’t believe that to be the case with him.  Outside of his insane rookie season, he looks as good as ever, the “wrong side of 30” be damned for all I care.