Abreu- does he stay or go?

soxfan49

I think we see the same route with Abreu as we did with Konerko. He's good for Moncada at the moment, and there really isn't anyone pushing him aside at 1B, unless we all think Davidson is the answer there for when the Sox are theoretically contending in 2020. Eloy belongs in the OF until he proves he doesn't belong out there. Talk of shoehorning him into DH at age 21 is a little ridiculous. If the Sox can play Delmonico in LF, they sure as hell can start Eloy there.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think any MLB GM will take an outfield of Pollock, Robert and Basabe/Adolfo/Rutherford over one with Jimenez on a corner.It's not a HAVE to...but it's not impossible to end up with that type of alignment, either.

The Royals, for example, had Gordon, Cain and Dyson together, all three Gold-Glove level defenders.  It was (unarguably) more necessary for Kauffman than it would be playing 81 home games at USCF, but we've seen this year and in the past what a huge difference outfield defense can make.

Can we all just let the mega superstar outfielder be a mega superstar outfielder for us for the next 6+ years?  He’s not Kyle Schwarber out there. 

• Thanks 1

It's not LIKELY.

I just said they don't HAVE to play Jimenez there.

For the majority of players, they're better off (especially as youngsters) playing a position everyday and being involved in the game and studying how pitchers approach hitters from that outfield perspective (as opposed to in the dugout or clubhouse).

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, Puig has finally started to hit in the last two weeks...so they're probably not going to make that kind of trade without exploring other options that won't cost a Top 75-100 talent, unless they can trade Puig (+ money) for Abreu, which makes little to no sense for the Sox.    The ONLY one that would make sense for the Sox would be Joc Pederson for Abreu...as there's no way they would trade Verdugo for him.

At any rate, they already have Puig, Kemp, Chris Taylor, Joc Pederson, Kiki Hernandez and Verdugo (DL) in the outfield.  The biggest problems for the Dodgers have been in the pitching department, now that they have Justin Turner's bat back at 3rd.

And yeah, Taylor and Pederson haven't graded out as "very good" CFer's defensively.  That much is true.

I'm not saying it's the most likely option only that it is an option and I don't think the Dodgers really hold that high of an opinion of Puig. They tried to trade him in the offseason coming off a much better year

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is what would the White Sox possibly do with Puig for one year?

Hope and pray he blew up in the AL and then sign a "team friendly" extension before hitting FA, in lieu of keeping Abreu/Avisail Garcia long(er) term?

It would be a straight salary dump for the dodgers. Lets face it Puig isn't worth his salary. He actually has one more year of control but will likely be non-tendered next year.

If there is value to be had for Jose and Jones, move both of them possibly together. My expectation would be someone in the  75-100 top 100 prospect range and something interesting; a 55/50FV & a 45/40 depending on how both the sox and their perspective trading partner matched up. Here are two examples

Houston: OF/1B Yordan Alvarez & LHP Cionel Perez / SS Jonathan Arauz

Colorado: 3B Colton Welker & LHP Breiling Eusebio & LHP Ben Bowden

Keep him.  Yes he's older--but he's VERY consistent and seems to be getting better with age.  Plus last time we kept a 1st basemen around who was on the "wrong side of 30," we got 4 more all-star seasons out of a guy named Paul Konerko.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It only makes sense to trade him if you are going to get at least one really good prospect.  

That's the other thing -- the trade market hasn't been kind to first basemen past 30. I've said it before, but I think he's more valuable to the White Sox than any other team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

That's the other thing -- the trade market hasn't been kind to first basemen past 30. I've said it before, but I think he's more valuable to the White Sox than any other team.

This just needs the control C, control V treatment. 

It is one of those things where to have an opinion you kinda need to be able to peak at what cards are being offered. In theory, you probably could say you should shop him but in practice, I think it does more harm than good to sell this guy who means a lot in the clubhouse for some 45 prospects.

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

I don't follow the Cubs. Do they need a first baseman? They might overpay again in a trade with the Chisox. Jose A deserves to be on a contender.

His name is Anthony Rizzo. Even if you don't follow the Cubs, you should know that.

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

It is one of those things where to have an opinion you kinda need to be able to peak at what cards are being offered. In theory, you probably could say you should shop him but in practice, I think it does more harm than good to sell this guy who means a lot in the clubhouse for some 45 prospects.

I mean you absolutely listen, but based on what teams have been paying for similar players, it doesn't look good.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean you absolutely listen, but based on what teams have been paying for similar players, it doesn't look good.

Yeah only a team that could be weird with offers (like the rockies) I could see, I don't see the Dodgers getting desperate. They've avoided going for it for 5 years, don't see it happening this year.

11 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Sure but the McCann trade happened in 2016.  He really wasn't that good when he was moved and at that point already transitioned to 1B.

Earlier I named five teams that could be interested in his services. It sort of helps there are a bunch of 1B on contending teams having terrible years. Whether that be the Mets. Yankees. Astros. Mariners. Rockies. Nationals. Indians

Then you also have a team like the dodgers who need help and can move 1B off a position and get help there. Last year was a different story pretty much all the main guys will hitting we will have to see how it holds up.

Another thing going for the CHW is if you take a look at the Mariners and Rockies for example they are two teams where they haven't really been there for awhile. They maybe more hungry to make a deal and for their fans to see a run.

McCann hasn't had a single year in his career where the vast majority of his starts didn't come as a catcher.  I mean it isn't even close.

2015 1042 innings as a catcher, 16 as a 1B

2016 757 Innings C, 5 at 1B

2017 827 C, 0 at 1B

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah only a team that could be weird with offers (like the rockies) I could see, I don't see the Dodgers getting desperate. They've avoided going for it for 5 years, don't see it happening this year.

Agreed, especially with the management team they have in place, they are completely risk averse when it comes to dealing prospects.  I think there is a much better a chance a team on the fringe who is trying to grab the moment versus the Dodgers.

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Stay. He's a good bet to be a good hitter for another 3-5 years, and he can DH more as he ages. Good leader, popular with the fans. Good bat. Keep him.

Exactly this.  If he’s willing to agree to fair terms, I think a four year extension after this season makes a ton of sense.  Something like 4/$80M would work for me.  That would cover his age 32 to 35 seasons.  And by 2021, hopefully Sheets or Burger is ready and able to push him to DH more often.