Abreu- does he stay or go?

soxfan49

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Baseball reference has him having an additional year of control and do a much better job tracking service time.

Unless Puig deal explicitly allows him to reach FA rather then being offered ARB.. 

Edited by wrathofhahn

Anybody else kinda feel like we don’t need to acquire any more moderate prospects?  We already don’t have room for all our guys to play down there in the outfield and we got another top class about to come in, and likely ANOTHER top class after that.   Abreu mashes for us and until Gavin Sheets becomes interesting I think we need The Brew. 

Just now, Jerksticks said:

Anybody else kinda feel like we don’t need to acquire any more moderate prospects?  We already don’t have room for all our guys to play down there in the outfield and we got another top class about to come in, and likely ANOTHER top class after that.   Abreu mashes for us and until Gavin Sheets becomes interesting I think we need The Brew. 

First of all we could definitely use some middle infielders prospects. We could use some high upside young SP prospects.

Of course those are always in high demand.

16 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

While I understand what you are saying, I would think no. I wouldn't trade Abreu for moderate prospects, but if you can, keep trading for the Gillaspies, and Cordells. Most likely they show why they were traded because they suck, but eventually you will hit on one. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This.  Really all there is to it. 

While I agree with this for the most part, 1B/DH guys his age, making his money, aren't valued like we would like. If you could get some quality back for him, do it, but if it will basically look like a salary dump with crap coming back, I think his value to the team is too high for that.

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

While I agree with this for the most part, 1B/DH guys his age, making his money, aren't valued like we would like. If you could get some quality back for him, do it, but if it will basically look like a salary dump with crap coming back, I think his value to the team is too high for that.

Totally agreed.  I am not trading him for peanuts.  But I think Hahn could get someone to give something worthwhile for 1.75-1.50 seasons of Jose.  If not, may as well just hold onto him.  

The market seems to be low on 1B/DH types, but J.D. Martinez did still get 5/$110 this offseason, which is quite a bit of money even if it's less than what he wanted when the market opened. That tells me that middle of the order bats are still valued, and Abreu is a middle of the order bat. If no one is willing to pay for that, keep him and hope for a team friendly extension. I think some team will come calling, though, his skillset is valuable even in a league where defense is highly (over?) valued. Guys who can produce at .300/30/100 levels with OPS around .900 aren't common.

44 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

The market seems to be low on 1B/DH types, but J.D. Martinez did still get 5/$110 this offseason, which is quite a bit of money even if it's less than what he wanted when the market opened. That tells me that middle of the order bats are still valued, and Abreu is a middle of the order bat. If no one is willing to pay for that, keep him and hope for a team friendly extension. I think some team will come calling, though, his skillset is valuable even in a league where defense is highly (over?) valued. Guys who can produce at .300/30/100 levels with OPS around .900 aren't common.

There will be a market. People have to sort of forget traditional trend-lines when it comes to trade value at the deadline and just look at need. A ton of clubs need a 1B/DH right now of course that could change if certain players bounce back but if the trendline continues there should be some competition for him.

I named 8 previously.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:32 AM, Kyyle23 said:

well, he is the best centerfielder that plays right field in the history of  the game, so there is that

You had a great opportunity for a “like” here but blew it by not mentioning it should be a three way deal with Puig, Ohtani...and, wait for it, Tatis, Jr.

Shook.

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You had a great opportunity for a “like” here but blew it by not mentioning it should be a three way deal with Puig, Ohtani...and, wait for it, Tatis, Jr.

Shook.

Guess I will just have to take that L and try harder next time the opportunity presents itself 

28 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Even if the return is minimal, you dump him for salary relief. The money the sox save the remainder of this year and next year can be used towards a big name signing. 

Start talking crap about all the good prospects so they improve like Abreu does when you talk crap about him.

I'm not sure it's THAT clear...because we're running out of credible possibilities to give those at-bats to on the major league roster.

Cordell?   Davidson and Yolmer are getting plenty of opportunities so far this year.  It's not going to be Kevan Smith, for example.   You can glimpse really hard and see Zavala in August/September, but that would skip him quickly through AAA.

And $20 million (rest of his contract, roughly) isn't going to matter much when you're talking guys like Machado, Harper and Arenado.

13 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Start talking crap about all the good prospects so they improve like Abreu does when you talk crap about him.

If this theory is true, I better start talking crap about your posting on this forum. Maybe then we'll get some quality posts out of you. 

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

Even if the return is minimal, you dump him for salary relief.  

Yeah, thays pretty ridiculous. Salary relief on a team that's well below $100MM in salaries? What's more, even if he's between 2-4 WAR going forward, he's still earning his contract. There is next to zero reason to do a salary dump on Abreu.

Just admit you don't like Abreu for whatever reason. At least then, you'd be intellectually honest.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

39 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

If this theory is true, I better start talking crap about your posting on this forum. Maybe then we'll get some quality posts out of you. 

Well, at least I've never suggested trading a middle of the order bat as a salary dump. If that's what you consider a "quality post", then I'm good with not meeting your standard.