Abreu- does he stay or go?

soxfan49

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

Even if the return is minimal, you dump him for salary relief. The money the sox save the remainder of this year and next year can be used towards a big name signing. 

Least surprising post ever. Ron still wants to dump Abreu.

3 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

Even if the return is minimal, you dump him for salary relief. The money the sox save the remainder of this year and next year can be used towards a big name signing. 

Salary relief? What are you smoking? Why are you concerned about the owners' pockets? They are swimming in money and the team payroll is so low it's embarrassing. And you want a salary relief dumping of Jose A? You must be one of those fans who only cares about guys on other teams and prospects. The grass is always greener somewhere else cause Jose actually makes outs once in a while.

42 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Salary relief? What are you smoking? Why are you concerned about the owners' pockets? They are swimming in money and the team payroll is so low it's embarrassing. And you want a salary relief dumping of Jose A? You must be one of those fans who only cares about guys on other teams and prospects. The grass is always greener somewhere else cause Jose actually makes outs once in a while.

I care about getting the big name FAs. Trade abreu for the lesser prospect package if it gets you more salary relief. Give machado a deal he can't refuse. 

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

Get new material. 

We’ll even let you continue to troll, but your old setlist is just lazy. 

I wouldn't let my setlist get old if I was trolling. I would be elaborate like Greg.

Do you think Abreu will be part of the future championship caliber teams? I sure as hell don't given his age and our future options. They need to trade him for prospects or prospects + salary relief. There is no reason to half ass a rebuild. You need to do a full teardown, Sam Hinkie style. What doesn't contribute the sox future championship caliber teams has no place on the current team. 

Edited by Hot FiRe

From today's mlbtr chat

KW
4:59
What's a reasonable return from the Rockies for Jose Abreu?

Jason Martinez
5:01
I think they could get him for 3 good MLB-ready or close-to-MLB ready players. How about this? 1. David Dahl or Raimel Tapia  2. Ryan McMahon or Garrett Hampson.  3. Jeff Hoffman or Yency Almonte.
5:02
Any that might even be a bit much for 1 1/2 seasons of Abreu.

That would be way beyond my expectations
  • Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, BlackSox13 said:

Salary relief isn't necessary to sign Machado. The Sox have plenty of space in the payroll to sign Machado and extend Abreu. Don't forget that Shields salary comes off the books at seasons end.

I read where it is expected that Machado will receive a contract of at least 10 year/$320 million dollars. If that is true does anybody think the White Sox would pay that amount?

4 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I read where it is expected that Machado will receive a contract of at least 10 year/$320 million dollars. If that is true does anybody think the White Sox would pay that amount?

Yes. They slashed their payroll and it will be even more slashed with the Castillo suspension. Sox have the luxury of giving a front loaded contract to Manny if they do desire. Give him 40m a year first year then scale back. 

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would we pay him $40 million the next two years ($80 total) when we’re probably not going to be able to win the division until 2021...?

I never said the next 2 years. The sox have such a low payroll atm. Frontload it because that is simply a more attractive option, then scale back so you can spend more on others during the competitive years. 

Edited by Hot FiRe

The front load only works if there isn't an opt out which he will probably have several.  Frankly, any big star coming here probably requires opt outs in case rebuild not working and/or it is to their advantage.

2 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

The front load only works if there isn't an opt out which he will probably have several.  Frankly, any big star coming here probably requires opt outs in case rebuild not working and/or it is to their advantage.

Correct. There is no way the Sox will be able to bring in an FA on a team friendly deal. It will be like the Heyward deal for the club. They just need to hope that the player will produce when the Sox are ready to compete and have to deal with toward the end of the contract.

1 hour ago, Hot FiRe said:

Yes. They slashed their payroll and it will be even more slashed with the Castillo suspension. Sox have the luxury of giving a front loaded contract to Manny if they do desire. Give him 40m a year first year then scale back. 

They still have to pay him, it just goes to MLB and not Castillo.