8 games back

Buehrle>Wood

Healthy Avi (unfortunately have to wait another month), healthy Cordell...bring up Collins and Zavala with Jimenez and Kopech.  Add one more bullpen veteran in Jeanmar Gomez.

Finally, throw Dylan Cease, Hansen and Burdi into that pen and we're set after we pick up a veteran arm at the trade deadline (taking on his contract's final 2 months).

Definitely have a shot at the 2nd wild card or more likely the AL Central.

(Teal needed?)

This is what bothers greg so much. Put together a .500 team during the rebuild (all it woulda cost was a few bucks; still coulda made the key trades involved) and we'd be having fun right now. The rebuild didn't have to be exclusive of .500.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is what bothers greg so much. Put together a .500 team during the rebuild (all it woulda cost was a few bucks; still coulda made the key trades involved) and we'd be having fun right now. The rebuild didn't have to be exclusive of .500.

I mean it wouldn’t be the worst thing for us as fans.  I’ve personally never set money on fire but maybe Jerry would get off on that, he’s getting older.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If you are keeping around assets then you aren't rebuilding you are just sort of existing. The O's are a prime example of why this strategy is stupid.

Now they are stuck trading Machado for pennies on the dollar and because they held onto their other assets too long they are worthless. No thanks. I think the rebuild could have been done a little better this offseason by bringing in some veterans instead of for example playing Engel and starting James Shields

We did that to some extent with our bullpen but I would have liked us to bring in some veteran starters on minor league deals. Guys like Hellickson was there for the taking.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

If you are keeping around assets then you aren't rebuilding you are just sort of existing. The O's are a prime example of why this strategy is stupid.

Now they are stuck trading Machado for pennies on the dollar and because they held onto their other assets too long they are worthless. No thanks. I think the rebuild could have been done a little better this offseason by bringing in some veterans instead of for example playing Engel and starting James Shields

We did that to some extent with our bullpen but I would have liked us to bring in some veteran starters on minor league deals. Guys like Hellickson was there for the taking.

Doubt that

The team could/should be a lot better after the All-Star break:

1. Moncada, 2B

2. Sanchez, 3B

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Davidson, DH

5. A. Garcia, RF

6. Jimenez, LF

7. L. Garcia, CF

8. Anderson, SS

9. Castillo, C

#1: Rodon

#2: Lopez

#3: Kopech

#4: Giolito

#5: Shields/Stephens

CL: Jones

SU: Rondon

SU: Fry

MR: Soria/Vieira

MR: Avalin/Bummer/Cedeno

MR: Beck/Hamilton/Gomez

LR: Santiago

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That team above ^ could be pretty damn solid depending how Rodon & Kopech look.  That’s at least a major league caliber offense with a fairly interesting pitching staff.

Question. So often during games, you hear announcers talk about different catchers who are assets to the pitching staff. Often they refer to young pitchers especially. How important is catching? We have had 3 young pitchers in the rotation most of the year and will again once Kopech arrives. Rodon is also young but at least has 60+ starts. Are the present catchers considered an asset working with pitchers or would a priority be to get one? Not for the 2021 roster but someone to bridge the gap while the young pitchers develop at the MLB level. 

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

It does, though, because the young kids need playing time at the big league level. If you got veteran scrubs to push us up to.500, Moncada would still get his innings, sure -- but you wouldn't have given at bats to Matt Davidson, for example.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

Well it didn't have to be, but usually (by usually, I mean never) teams who are .500 aren't picking in the top 5 of the draft.

I'm not sure what is so fun about being a .500 team. They were almost .500 in 2015 and 2016. How did those years turn out? Fun, right?

Edited by soxfan49

2 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

I just hope the division still stinks this much in 2019 and 2020.

I think it will. Cleveland's going to have a tough offseason coming up, KC is 3-5 years away, and Detroit probably 4-6 assuming their draft picks pan out since they don't have many top veterans to get stud prospects back for. The Twins and Sox will be the class of this division in 2020.

I will admit I didn't think there was that much difference between a team 5-10 games under 500 like 2015-16 and one 25-30 games under.

I was wrong about that, this is painful.

Crazy to think they could recreate the indians 22 game win streak or whatever (including these games) and be only 3 games over .500. Like I think we'd all be happy if they went .500 the rest of the way, and they'd still finish 17 under.

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

It does, though, because the young kids need playing time at the big league level. If you got veteran scrubs to push us up to.500, Moncada would still get his innings, sure -- but you wouldn't have given at bats to Matt Davidson, for example.

2017 Davidson is better anyway. 

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

They couldn't have maintained a .500 team when rebuilding for the obvious reason that they couldn't maintain a .500 team when going for it.

Oh it's possible that had they retooled, instead or rebuilt, that they could have gotten things accomplished, although .500 in the process is a stretch.