Robinson Cano

WBWSF

Cano recently tested hot for drugs. He's not the first player and won't be the last player testing positive for drugs. I've always wondered why the owners don't cover themselves when it comes to players using dope. I would think that owners wouldn't want to be responsible for the remainder of the players contract after his suspension was up. The Mariners will still owe Cano some serious money when his suspension is over. I'm surprised that the owners don't have some type of clause in their contracts  that they're not responsible for the rest of the contract if the player gets suspended for drugs.

Unless you got all the other owners to take a similar pledge (opening yourself up to collusion charges for limiting players’ potential earnings)...you would put yourself at a huge competitive disadvantage.

It would be like if teams refused to ever give player options in their FA contracts or never worked with Scott Boras clients.

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Cano recently tested hot for drugs. He's not the first player and won't be the last player testing positive for drugs. I've always wondered why the owners don't cover themselves when it comes to players using dope. I would think that owners wouldn't want to be responsible for the remainder of the players contract after his suspension was up. The Mariners will still owe Cano some serious money when his suspension is over. I'm surprised that the owners don't have some type of clause in their contracts  that they're not responsible for the rest of the contract if the player gets suspended for drugs.

It is my understanding that something like this would have to be addressed in a collective bargaining agreement and can't just be put into individual contracts until that happens. 

21 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

It is my understanding that something like this would have to be addressed in a collective bargaining agreement and can't just be put into individual contracts until that happens. 

This.  Pretty sure it wouldn't fly with the union either.