Thoughts on Rickie (and a potential replacement) from Sox Machine this morning

chitownsportsfan

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Omar Vizquel would be pretty cool.

Rick seems like a great guy and someone I wouldn't mind having around as bench coach, but I hope the Sox upgrade when they're ready to compete. 

Why do we all seem to think Omar Vizquel would be a good manager? We don't know anything about him. The only problem anyone has with Renteria is his tactical decision-making, and that's also the thing we know least about Vizquel.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Glad to hear it, as I saw it mentioned a couple of times in the game thread last night and wondered what it was all tracing back to.  Pure speculation, but no substance.

I didn't hear the initial Heyman interview, but when they talked to levine later in day, the specifically said it was "informed speculation" he shared

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Why do we all seem to think Omar Vizquel would be a good manager? We don't know anything about him. The only problem anyone has with Renteria is his tactical decision-making, and that's also the thing we know least about Vizquel.

All I know is Omar platoons his lefty hitting outfield prospect and he also likes to bunt. 

21 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

That's a fair point. I just really respect Vizquel as a player and felt he had the intangibles to be a good manager.  That being said, I have watched exactly 0 innings of WS this season and can't speak to his management abilities at all. 

Look, I'd love a younger seasoned MLB manager.  But those don't exactly grow on trees, and the good ones usually aren't available.    

I'd love to have Girardi manage this team...but I don't think he'll be available when the Sox finally make a move from Ricky. McEwing....I don't know...he might not be around either. I think if the Sox don't pick him he'll move on.  I think the thing with Vizquel is the  a. overall knowledge of the game as a player/coach  b. the relationship with the Latino players the Sox seem to have an abundance of.   Other than that...who knows.  I have know idea how he'd handle a pitching staff either. 

A lot of teams are bringing in managers who will be responsive to front office re tactical decisions, personnel, etc. but these new managers aren’t house-guys either.  They come from outside.

As for benching Castillo, disciplining that but not the many other boneheaded plays, esp on the base path, is silly.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

A lot of teams are bringing in managers who will be responsive to front office re tactical decisions, personnel, etc. but these new managers aren’t house-guys either.  They come from outside.

As for benching Castillo, disciplining that but not the many other boneheaded plays, esp on the base path, is silly.

If it happens on the basepaths the odds are near 100% that the base coaches to them to do it.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

Again, this all came from Heyman on 670 yesterday, and he went out of his way to say "This isn't something coming from the Sox or Girardi, this is simply my idea of a fit." 

It's actually not Heyman's fault, it's meatballs saying "Oh well I heard Joe Girardi is coming to the Sox anyway" after they "listened" to Heyman. 

So much of modern media is who said what about whom. The occupation of the insignificant. 

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Ricky is known as being a good teacher with young guys. I suppose you ask a guy his philosophy on winning baseball. Not sure if Robin had one. Chuck Tanner had something. Now days you also have a language issue. My thought is that everyone learn the other language as their team commitment. 

Unless there's an inside source or two telling us Girardi is horrible in the clubhouse, etc., he could be the guy.

We need a Leyland/LaRussa/Lasorda/Francona type to make us legit and too bad the first three are too old. Girardi is the man, unless there are ghosts in his closet that tell us he's a bum.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Unless there's an inside source or two telling us Girardi is horrible in the clubhouse, etc., he could be the guy.

We need a Leyland/LaRussa/Lasorda/Francona type to make us legit and too bad the first three are too old. Girardi is the man, unless there are ghosts in his closet that tell us he's a bum.

I'm not a big believer in the "gravitas" argument for managers but hiring Girardi would immediately signal that the Sox aren't messing around anymore.  Similar to the Cubs hiring Madden when he was available.

Edited by chitownsportsfan