Surprise: Rosenbloom article bashes Sox/Renteria

caulfield12

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/mlb/ct-spt-white-sox-manny-machado-trade-rumors-rosenbloom-20180522-story.html?src=rss

Do the White Sox really think Manny Machado would want to play for a team like theirs?

Was this only printed in the Baltimore Sun, or also the Tribune?

Same owner/s, right?

Seems to be a pretty low blow, even for Steve...

Edited by caulfield12

While I don't necessarily agree totally with Steve I can see his point. The last decade has been awful for the franchise. Unless the Sox are willing to offer way more money / years than another team you wonder if any of the "Type-A" "Superstar" free agents are going to really consider them. Potential is a nice word but these guys want to win and win now (again all things being relatively equal salary-wise).

Given the circumstances and their history I'd be shocked if the Sox land one of the top guys this off season. I'd welcome it but I'm not counting on it.

I do think however the Sox will be able to sign some guys who can make a positive contribution in 2019, especially in the bullpen but as far as signing someone that would send shock waves across the baseball landscape? Don't think so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/mlb/ct-spt-white-sox-manny-machado-trade-rumors-rosenbloom-20180522-story.html?src=rss

Do the White Sox really think Manny Machado would want to play for a team like theirs?

Was this only printed in the Baltimore Sun, or also the Tribune?

Same owner/s, right?

Seems to be a pretty low blow, even for Steve...

That guy is the king of kicking some one when they are down. As a 50 year SOX fan I'm used to it.

It always comes down to who offers him the most money. If the offers are all the same, he'll pick a city he likes with a team that wins. If the Sox want Machado, they will have to blow away the other offers. It's always how it has worked. 

If the White Sox actually think they can sweet talk their way to a discounted contract, that's laughable. I don't think they are, but the supposed attempt to trade for him last winter makes me wonder. That whole, if he sees how it is here, he will like it and take less money is a joke.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It always comes down to who offers him the most money. If the offers are all the same, he'll pick a city he likes with a team that wins. If the Sox want Machado, they will have to blow away the other offers. It's always how it has worked. 

If the White Sox actually think they can sweet talk their way to a discounted contract, that's laughable. I don't think they are, but the supposed attempt to trade for him last winter makes me wonder. That whole, if he sees how it is here, he will like it and take less money is a joke.

i don't see why most people don't understand this. There are a few cases where a player may take a slightly smaller offer to be near home or something like that. however. nearly all fall into the situation you describe.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

i don't see why most people don't understand this. There are a few cases where a player may take a slightly smaller offer to be near home or something like that. however. nearly all fall into the situation you describe.

There's no White Sox example of a big free agent signing since Albert Belle. But on the other side of town - Jon Lester and Jason Heyward both took less to sign with the Cubs, and neither of them were near home. Players do not always take the most money. Maybe that statement is closer to true for Boras clients.

Edited by Sarava

3 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Lester came to a shitty Cubs team

There is a history of this. 

The biggest free agent deal signed this winter was signed with a team that won 71 games last year. 

Arod signed his mega deal with a Rangers team that won 71 games and finished in last place the previous season.

Jon Lester signed with a Cubs team that won 73 games and finished in last place the previous season.

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

There's no White Sox example of a big free agent signing since Albert Belle. But on the other side of town - Jon Lester and Jason Heyward both took less to sign with the Cubs, and neither of them were near home. Players do not always take the most money. Maybe that statement is closer to true for Boras clinets, which Machado is not.

Heyward took less to come to the Cubs?! I bet the team that came in second is laughing hysterically.

11 minutes ago, Sarava said:

There's no White Sox example of a big free agent signing since Albert Belle. But on the other side of town - Jon Lester and Jason Heyward both took less to sign with the Cubs, and neither of them were near home. Players do not always take the most money. Maybe that statement is closer to true for Boras clients.

I thought Lester's offer was like $2 million per year more AND another year more than anyone else offered.

Anyway, Rosenbloom seriously gets paid to write garbage. A few weeks back, he wrote an article about Roquan Smith getting his ipad stolen. questioning his upbringing, personality, and intelligence and was already ripping Pace for the pick, and he was subsequently SHREDDED by readers and other parts of the Chicago media. A day later, he issued an apology. Sucker. Dude's a joke.

The White Sox are so insular that they probably do think that Machado will like it here so much he'll beg to come; that's the only thing that could possibly explain a rebuilding team trying to trade for 1 year of his services.  It's ridiculous.

Rosenberg went a little hyperbolic, but he is correct:  the play is sloppy.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

Heyward took less because of the optouts, not because the Cubs were more desirable. Any deal with optouts is going to have a lower total monetary value. I'm not deluded enough to think Machado would want to come here if our offer was equal to other teams, but I see no reason why he wouldn't sign if we were clearly the best offer (which if it's not going to be because of significantly more money then we have to get creative with the optouts), that's the case with 95% of all athletes.

Edited by OmarComing25

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Anyway, Rosenbloom seriously gets paid to write garbage. A few weeks back, he wrote an article about Roquan Smith getting his ipad stolen. questioning his upbringing, personality, and intelligence and was already ripping Pace for the pick, and he was subsequently SHREDDED by readers and other parts of the Chicago media. A day later, he issued an apology. Sucker. Dude's a joke.

Rosenbloom is a total joke.  Always hated his stupid “your table is ready” line.  What a douche.  No idea how he is still around.

I think Rosenbloom is pretty funny most of the time. His column is supposed to be smart assed, not some heavily researched, heavy digging, journalism. He just writes what a lot of people think, but people's sports teams are like their brother, it's OK if you make fun of him, if someone else does, you get offended.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1