Surprise: Rosenbloom article bashes Sox/Renteria

caulfield12

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He technically took less. He has tow opt outs where if he actually played up to the contract, he would have made significantly more.

Yeah in regards to Heyward, he took less guaranteed money but his earning potential was higher with the Cubs because as you said, the opt-outs.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

From what I could google, the Cubs offered $20 million more than Boston for Lester.

Yeau, as i recall they were the highest bidder for him. It doesnt matter if the team sucked. He went with the money.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Anyway, Rosenbloom seriously gets paid to write garbage. A few weeks back, he wrote an article about Roquan Smith getting his ipad stolen. questioning his upbringing, personality, and intelligence and was already ripping Pace for the pick, and he was subsequently SHREDDED by readers and other parts of the Chicago media. A day later, he issued an apology. Sucker. Dude's a joke.

Hes not a joke. Hes just a guy looking to cause controversy for attention and ratings. Everyone of those articles generates attention for him as we are talking about them. He knows exactly what he is doing and how to get the fans riled up and get attention. 

Edited by ptatc

I assume all offers for Machado will include opt outs within 3 years (probably 2) which he will most definitely invoke.  The Sox can offer some outrageous number in those first two years because the rest of the payroll will be so low during that period.  So I don't see why the Sox would even blink at offering slightly above market on a 10 year deal but well above market in the first two years of the deal.  Guarantee 70-80 million in those two years and see what you can do with Machado, Abreu, Jimenez and Moncada in year 1 surrounded by guys like Castillo, Avi, Davidson and Anderson.

There aren't a lot of teams that will be able to make their payroll work with adding 40 million into one player for each year but it shouldn't make the Sox blink.  From Machado's perspective, even if it doesn't work he is out of here in 2 years 80 million richer at the age of 28.

Edited by Superstar Lamar

51 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Hes not a joke. Hes just a guy looking to cause controversy for attention and ratings. Everyone of those articles generates attention for him as we are talking about them. He knows exactly what he is doing and how to get the fans riled up and get attention. 

Yes, this is correct. It's "shock" journalism. No different than Stephen A. or Skip Bayless.

These guys take an opinion they hold (sometimes that they don't even hold) - then stack up a disgusting amount of hyperbole on top to incite a reaction.

58 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No, he's a joke. If you're a newspaper journalist and you write EVERY story to get the city riled up, you're a joke. A game recap, a sensible article, dissecting a trade or a signing- all of those would be a nice change. Instead, everything he writes is either somebody sucks or some organization sucks.

And if he was getting the correct attention, he wouldn't have to write every article like his career depended on it.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

what is in that article that you haven't read here 30 times? Why are people so upset with it? 

That's kind of it, too. He wrote a lot of "no s***" stuff. Literally, we can go through the game thread from Monday and we all talked about this.

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Anyway, Rosenbloom seriously gets paid to write garbage. A few weeks back, he wrote an article about Roquan Smith getting his ipad stolen. questioning his upbringing, personality, and intelligence and was already ripping Pace for the pick, and he was subsequently SHREDDED by readers and other parts of the Chicago media. A day later, he issued an apology. Sucker. Dude's a joke.

this.  the day that hack actually writes something intelligent...that I even remotely give a shit about...it'll be a first.  I'm surprised someone hasn't shoved him in a garbage can yet...

Good column.

I approve of this part the most ... I don't think Ricky is THE biggest problem in the organization, of course. He didn't bring in this sorry collection of pitchers/players to hold down the fort as we wait for the young reinforcements for the most part. But I like this part of the column

I know the rebuild wasn’t always going to be linear. But it doesn’t have to be lazy and embarrassing.

That cutesy slogan that “Ricky’s boys don’t quit”? Someone needs to amend it because too many of Ricky’s boys quit running when it’s the easiest thing in the game to do.

• Like 1

I just wish a Baltimore Sun columnist could write a column in the Trib saying how the Orioles’ plan, whatever that is...is ten times worse.

They have an albatross contract in Chris Davis, Jones, Britton and Machado all departing, Alex Cobb, Schoop, Mark Trumbo...and a $150 million payroll in the toughest division in baseball most years.

I guess they can trade O’Day, Cashner, Gausman and Bundy (and the three big names above)...but where does that really get them?

At best, the same position the White Sox were in two years ago but with much less payroll flexibility.  And picking off top prospects isn’t nearly as easy as it was when Hahn started his deals.  Plus, their farm system isn’t one of the better ones to begin with.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It always comes down to who offers him the most money. If the offers are all the same, he'll pick a city he likes with a team that wins. If the Sox want Machado, they will have to blow away the other offers. It's always how it has worked. 

If the White Sox actually think they can sweet talk their way to a discounted contract, that's laughable. I don't think they are, but the supposed attempt to trade for him last winter makes me wonder. That whole, if he sees how it is here, he will like it and take less money is a joke.

I think you are still misunderstanding what people were saying. If we had him here already, and we paid a contract the same as others, it may be the factor that keeps him here without having to overpay by a mile. If we pay the same as everyone else and he never played here, he'd have no reason to pick us over anyone else. No one said having him here and paying him less than anyone else would keep him here.

44 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Did anyone read his article about Roquan Smith?

I referenced it on page 1:

It was extremely unfair to the kid.

24 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think you are still misunderstanding what people were saying. If we had him here already, and we paid a contract the same as others, it may be the factor that keeps him here without having to overpay by a mile. If we pay the same as everyone else and he never played here, he'd have no reason to pick us over anyone else. No one said having him here and paying him less than anyone else would keep him here.

What makes playing with the White Sox so special such that he would pick the Sox over  other teams because he played here?  
That was also the "justification" for renting Samardzija off of 73 wins.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

What makes playing with the White Sox so special such that he would pick the Sox over  other teams because he played here?  
That was also the "justification" for renting Samardzija off of 73 wins.

Are you saying what if Machado was on the Sox right now?

1- Chicago
2- The prospects that are here now and those that will be hitting the majors in 1-3 years are the real deal
3- Familiarity with the organization

Edited by soxfan49

56 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yup, that was exactly the argument for trading for him.  It was about improving our chances of getting if we offered the same amount of money.  And I have no problem if people don’t think the price of acquiring him was not worth it, but it is kind of annoying when people purposely misrepresent the underlying strategy.