Surprise: Rosenbloom article bashes Sox/Renteria

caulfield12

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, that was exactly the argument for trading for him.  It was about improving our chances of getting if we offered the same amount of money.  And I have no problem if people don’t think the price of acquiring him was not worth it, but it is kind of annoying when people purposely misrepresent the underlying strategy.

You could copy/paste this for the rest of the responses to this thread, but it wouldn't really matter.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, that was exactly the argument for trading for him.  It was about improving our chances of getting if we offered the same amount of money.  And I have no problem if people don’t think the price of acquiring him was not worth it, but it is kind of annoying when people purposely misrepresent the underlying strategy.

I think everyone understands the concept, they just don’t buy it will work. In the past, it has worked 1 out of 3 when the extended Freddy Garcia. It was a bit different because he was really tight with Ozzie and he didn’t become a free agent, and signed a slight discount. Samardjiza, Bartolo Colon are 2 guys who didn’t seem to find it a place they couldn’t leave, plus it would have cost good prospects. Right now Russell and Schwarber is what I hear it is going to cost, so they would have had to beat that. 

I personally think the whole point was he was going to like losing so much in the frigid empty GRF, that they would convince him to take a discount. It wasn’t going to happen. If they offer him the most money this winter, I like their chances. I don’t think they have a chance if they don’t. And I don’t think they would have had a chance if they traded for him during the winter and didn’t offer the most cash.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think everyone understands the concept, they just don’t buy it will work. In the past, it has worked 1 out of 3 when the extended Freddy Garcia. It was a bit different because he was really tight with Ozzie and he didn’t become a free agent, and signed a slight discount. Samardjiza, Bartolo Colon are 2 guys who didn’t seem to find it a place they couldn’t leave, plus it would have cost good prospects. Right now Russell and Schwarber is what I hear it is going to cost, so they would have had to beat that. 

I personally think the whole point was he was going to like losing so much in the frigid empty GRF, that they would convince him to take a discount. It wasn’t going to happen. If they offer him the most money this winter, I like their chances. I don’t think they have a chance if they don’t. And I don’t think they would have had a chance if they traded for him during the winter and didn’t offer the most cash.

I really don’t want to regurgitate old arguments, but it has nothing do with him winning or playing in front of a packed house and everything with him developing relationships and feeling comfortable with the people he works with.  That was the play and more often than not I think it works.  It still requires you paying fair market value and there are obviously no guarantees.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really don’t want to regurgitate old arguments, but it has nothing do with him winning or playing in front of a packed house and everything with him developing relationships and feeling comfortable with the people he works with.  That was the play and more often than not I think it works.  It still requires you paying fair market value and there are obviously no guarantees.

Why are you assuming that relationships and friends are more important than winning and a popular team? I think the latter is a better ploy than the former

• Like 1

I always liked his articles. They are not straight up journalism.  What is neglected though is the Sox have a history of players being baseball dumb.  It's evident in the minors. When was the last solid fundamental player the came through the system. That might be #54.

7 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I always liked his articles. They are not straight up journalism.  What is neglected though is the Sox have a history of players being baseball dumb.  It's evident in the minors. When was the last solid fundamental player the came through the system. That might be #54.

Yolmer Sanchez...arguably.

18 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Are you saying what if Machado was on the Sox right now?

1- Chicago
2- The prospects that are here now and those that will be hitting the majors in 1-3 years are the real deal
3- Familiarity with the organization

4 - Outbidding every other team, which is what matters.

If 1-3 are so important, why didn't/aren't other non-contenders pursuing him.  

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

4 - Outbidding every other team, which is what matters.

If 1-3 are so important, why didn't/aren't other non-contenders pursuing him.  

I figured you meant like what if Machado had been on the Sox for his whole current as he's been with the O's.

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do players ever resign with their teams?

Because they pay them a lot of money. Most of these guys know players on just about every team.  How many examples are there of teams who trade for premium guys in the last year of their contract, and re-sign them after they become a free agent? 

It's a nice concept. It's just not based in reality. Money talks. Then winning. Then maybe playing with your friends.

51 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Because they pay them a lot of money. Most of these guys know players on just about every team.  How many examples are there of teams who trade for premium guys in the last year of their contract, and re-sign them after they become a free agent? 

It's a nice concept. It's just not based in reality. Money talks. Then winning. Then maybe playing with your friends.

But no one is saying money doesn't talk.  I've said it multiple times in this thread.  This is all about getting a tie-breaker if the money is the same.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But no one is saying money doesn't talk.  I've said it multiple times in this thread.  This is all about getting a tie-breaker if the money is the same.

You kinda have to "overpay" a star player if you're a team coming off a 60ish-win season. If their plan is to offer the same money as a team coming off a good/great year, the Sox have zero chance.

Edited by soxfan2014