Welington Castillo to be suspended 80 games for PED, per Rosenthal

Heads22

1 minute ago, RockRaines said:

Agreed. Let Collins continue to do what he’s doing. 

Nice to see you rock.

And I"ll just get my positions on PEDs out of the way:

Don't really care.  Science is pretty amazing and a lot of the shit that is banned probably shouldn't be.  HGH for example.  Yea ban the crazy amount of T that Bonds was on but overall some of these methods, especially for staying healthy during the season, should be legal imo.

That all said, it sucks from the Sox' perspective.  Robs them of a good trade opportunity.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

5 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Do we know how recent the test he failed was given?

Renteria couldn’t even comment on it after the game, and called it a rumor until MLB makes it official. 

Based on the reports, I’m sure the details are coming tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, Jake said:

I don't know about Brett Austin's defense, but unless it's very good he looks like a great example of someone who has failed upward all the way through the minors.

The sox should call him up then to give Narvaez a break until Smith is activated from the DL. It will only be a game or two and will most likely be his only time in the MLB. The Sox arent going anywhere so why waste money on an FA when Smith will be back soon. Hes adequate.

The smartest thing would be to play Tim Anderson at catcher. If he sucks they can just draft Bart or if he's gone the next best catcher available and have him or her take Tim's place. The draft is the 4th through the 6th of June so that gives Tim a nice 2 week window to prove himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Him or HER at catcher?

Jessica Mendoza of ESPN?

Carlos Ruiz and Geo Soto are the only two guys on the MLB Trade Rumors list (of FA's this past off-season) without a current home.

Not sure if Miguel Montero is still around  he was DFA'd in early April and I don't see an milb stats on him. But yeah the guy just let go by the A's seemed the most likely.

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't mean this sarcastically- does this affect his recruitment of Machado at all? Would we cut him, paying all of his 2019 guaranteed salary, before the season?

I highly doubt Castillo would've had much if any effect on signing Machado.If anything Machado may want to distance himself from Castillo now. If I had to guess I'd say the Sox just allow him to come back after his 80 games .

3 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Seriously

Players who get caught using performance enhanincing drugs should be banned for life. 

Give the guys an off-season to get clean and implement that policy. 

Hell no - let every player do it and it will improve the game.  Like the 90s.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't mean this sarcastically- does this affect his recruitment of Machado at all? Would we cut him, paying all of his 2019 guaranteed salary, before the season?

I doubt it matters, but I doubt we were serious contenders, anyway. 

1 hour ago, Scoots said:

Still has not been officially announced. I guess it's a non-ped related issue (like Cano?) Maybe he will appeal. No details as of yet though.

When it gets this this point, I think either they weren't going to appeal or the appeals process has played out. 

49 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

FWIW-Another name to throw out is Blake Swihart. His agent asked for a trade since he is their 3rd catcher. But supposedly Red Sox may want too much. 

Yeah he's mentioned in this thread. He's only caught 2 innings this season and the Red Sox want a good prospect for him. Pass.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I just want to emphasize I think the Sox would be more interested in a RH hitting guy since Narvaez is LH. 

The guy Oakland dfa'd the other day is right-handed. He'd be a quick fix, band-aid for sure until Smith is ready.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

The guy Oakland dfa'd the other day is right-handed. He'd be a quick fix, band-aid for sure until Smith is ready.

Yeah. Let's face it, Kevan Smith is probably the best guy to fill it.  Too bad he's hurt. That Oakland guy can't hit at all.  Everyone available, especially with what the Sox want to or should pay are going to most likely be pretty, pretty, pretty, awful.

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah. Let's face it, Kevan Smith is probably the best guy to fill it.  Too bad he's hurt. That Oakland guy can't hit at all.  Everyone available, especially with what the Sox want to or should pay are going to most likely be pretty, pretty, pretty, awful.

Yeah the guy is awful but he'd play what, 2-3 games?