Welington Castillo to be suspended 80 games for PED, per Rosenthal

Heads22

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Why would anyone want Montero? Terrible at holding runners, terrible teammate.

Our options are currently Alfredo Gonzalez who is hitting .165 in AAA, and Brett Austin who has all of 5 AB this year and a career MiLB OPS of .620.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Our options are currently Alfredo Gonzalez who is hitting .165 in AAA, and Brett Austin who has all of 5 AB this year and a career MiLB OPS of .620.

Right but that's short-term. You aren't going to sign Miguel Montero for two weeks. Gonzalez is not a good hitter but he's a good defender. You'll have to make due for about 4-5 games with another 40 wRC+ guy

I know Swihart has been mentioned and that supposedly his price is high, just pointing out that Pedroia is supposed to be back this weekend which means one less roster spot. Swihart is out of options. Getting very tight in Boston for open spots. I don't know how much more time they have to be stubborn on a trade. They may have to trade for a lower value than they'd like. Depending on the price I think it's worth a shot. Otherwise let's just fill space and bring up Zavala when he's healthy.

Does anyone know how bad Kevan Smith is injured? If he's good to go in a week, that's one thing, if it's a month or longer, that's another.

And does minor league DL carry over to the major leagues? If it was just precautionary in Charlotte, could that be cancelled ?

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Does anyone know how bad Kevan Smith is injured? If he's good to go in a week, that's one thing, if it's a month or longer, that's another.

And does minor league DL carry over to the major leagues? If it was just precautionary in Charlotte, could that be cancelled ?

I assume we'll get more info today, but Fegan said it was an ankle injury. I hope that means it's minor.

33 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I sort of like the Tim Anderson to catcher idea suggested earlier....

Good thing pitchers do not bat in the AL then, if Verlander came up to bat he would likely go Juan Marichal on Anderson behind the plate.

Edited by MnSoxFan
spelling
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MnSoxFan said:

Good thing pitchers do not bat in the AL then, if Verlander came up to bat he would likely go Juan Marichal on Anderson behind the plate.

Verlander? Everybody in that clubhouse including Tim himself knows Marcus Stroman is his arch nemesis.

55 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I sort of like the Tim Anderson to catcher idea suggested earlier....

While I know you're just kidding, it would be entirely awesome to watch a regular try to catch.  At this point, this season is a clown show anyhow - it'd be quite entertaining.  Can we trade for Tyler Saladino and throw him back there?  

13 minutes ago, flavum said:

EPO. Hi, Lance Armstrong.

Really? Its really only for endurance athletes. Maybe he thought itwould help him last the whole season behind the plate. Since they banned amphetamines maybe this is the new way to play and focus more.

to be honest Im suprised the MLB put it on the banned list.

I did some digging and I believe players suspended for PED do not count on the 25 or 40 man rosters so that should allow adding Gonzalez without having to cut someone from the 40.  Tilson already on 40 so he simply replaces Leury(DL).

3 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I did some digging and I believe players suspended for PED do not count on the 25 or 40 man rosters so that should allow adding Gonzalez without having to cut someone from the 40.  Tilson already on 40 so he simply replaces Leury(DL).

Even a better reason to use Gonzalez for the few games until Smith is ready.