Welington Castillo to be suspended 80 games for PED, per Rosenthal

Heads22

7 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

I'm kind of frustrated b/c I don't view Narvaez/Smith as even adequate backups, let alone starters.  How could our AAA depth be that bad all across the board? We can't even stock replacement level players.

How many teams do you know that stock 4 MLB caliber catchers in their roster? 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How many teams do you know that stock 4 MLB caliber catchers in their roster? 

Exactly. The pitchers are familiar with those 2. so the development of the young pitchers won't be as much of a risk as bringing in a new guy 1/3 of a way through the season.

12 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

I'm kind of frustrated b/c I don't view Narvaez/Smith as even adequate backups, let alone starters.  How could our AAA depth be that bad all across the board? We can't even stock replacement level players.

Look at it around baseball. 

17 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Welington not playing the "I didn't know" game here, a silver lining I guess.

Yeah at least he had the balls to admit it rather than play the "how can this be, somebody gave me something" BS most use.

Definitely stupid, but upping your red blood cell count and increasingly your oxygen flow doesn’t sound like that big of a red flag. There’s danger in any rebalancing of what your body produces naturally, but...

In any case, I respect his ownership for what he did. I’ll welcome him back when his time served is completed.

Edited by SEALgep

6 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Yeah at least he had the balls to admit it rather than play the "how can this be, somebody gave me something" BS most use.

Is he the first professional athlete in history to do that?  Everybody has some kind of excuse.

21 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I will say that in my recollection Melky Cabrera made a very similar statement after his suspension went public. It wasn't long afterwards we learned that he had attempted one of the most wildly dishonest (and hilarious) appeals of all time.

Edited by Jake

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, they're saving X amount of money for the remainder of this season, but it's a setback for our young pitching staff...

All in on Yasmani Grandal next year?

Hahn, as mentioned, continues to make one bad FA acquisition after another.

I don't know... but the revolving door of sub-par catchers we've seen cycled in-and-out of here in recent years is hard to keep enduring. I'd really like that position figured out here soon. A rather important one... 

If it means paying for Grandal - do it.

7 minutes ago, Richie said:

I don't know... but the revolving door of sub-par catchers we've seen cycled in-and-out of here in recent years is hard to keep enduring. I'd really like that position figured out here soon. A rather important one... 

Not when he'll be blocking Zavala and Collins in 2 years. Unless he'll take a deal shorter than that.

3 hours ago, Hatchetman said:

Narvaez and Smith are both terrible defensively (Narvaez is just plain terrible). why would they be used to develop a very young staff?

Again, there aren't really enough starting level catchers to cover MLB, let alone once you start taking players out of a teams depth chart.  Catcher is probably the hardest position to fill in MLB.  Knocking out a teams starting catcher usually is a tough blow to overcome, but it becomes really awful when both #1 and #3, and maybe #4 or #5 are also out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richie said:

Or wait for Collins and potentially have a generational talent at C. One of those two.

8 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I know Swihart has been mentioned and that supposedly his price is high, just pointing out that Pedroia is supposed to be back this weekend which means one less roster spot. Swihart is out of options. Getting very tight in Boston for open spots. I don't know how much more time they have to be stubborn on a trade. They may have to trade for a lower value than they'd like. Depending on the price I think it's worth a shot. Otherwise let's just fill space and bring up Zavala when he's healthy.

I'm sure since this news has broke Dombrowski has been on the phone fondling Hahn's grapes over Swihart.  I honestly don't know that much about Swihart...what does he bring to the table?  I'm looking forward to Zavala/Collins era...and hope it's Zeby a few weeks down the road.