Welington Castillo to be suspended 80 games for PED, per Rosenthal

Heads22

4 hours ago, flavum said:

Does Garneau immediately replace Alfredo Gonzalez tomorrow night? Is he a better option?

I think you or myself could be better options than Gonzalez. Check out his slash line this year, or for his career for that matter. Yikes. I think he'll be replaced as soon as Smith is back.

2 hours ago, Wanne said:

I'm sure since this news has broke Dombrowski has been on the phone fondling Hahn's grapes over Swihart.  I honestly don't know that much about Swihart...what does he bring to the table?  I'm looking forward to Zavala/Collins era...and hope it's Zeby a few weeks down the road.

Well, 2-3 years ago, he was even more of a "generational" talent than Collins.

But it takes catchers, seemingly, a lot longer to come into their own...thinking guys like Zunino and even Tyler Flowers.

3 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Or wait for Collins and potentially have a generational talent at C. One of those two.

Not sure how anyone could be sold on Collins seeing how poorly he's performed at the plate in the minors. I'm not saying that I have given up on him. However, he's hardly a slam-dunk. I know he's turned things around after a putrid start this year. I guess we'll see. 

Edited by Richie

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But it takes catchers, seemingly, a lot longer to come into their own...thinking guys like Zunino and even Tyler Flowers.

It really does bother me that Flowers went to ATL and became a solid hitting catcher.

1 minute ago, Richie said:

Not sure how anyone could be sold on Collins seeing how poorly he's performed at the plate in the minors. I'm not saying that I have given up on him. However, he's hardly a slam-dunk. I know he's done well after a putrid start this year. I guess we'll see. 

Collins has been an excellent hitter in the minors every year (.832 career OPS) so I don't know what you're talking about. It's his defense that bothers me 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Collins has been an excellent hitter in the minors every year (.832 career OPS) so I don't know what you're talking about. It's his defense that bothers me 

I'd say he has been excellent at getting on base (plate discipline) more-so than an excellent pure hitter (think Joe Mauer-esque).

To fall into that category, your batting average should be at least in the .280's or above, but that's just my idea.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I'd say he has been excellent at getting on base (plate discipline) more-so than an excellent pure hitter (think Joe Mauer-esque).

To fall into that category, your batting average should be at least in the .280's or above, but that's just my idea.

Yeah I agree with the first sentence. I meant "hitter" in the sense of his all around game at the plate, i suppose. But to me, getting on base is the most important aspect of hitting. 

He's at .265/.447/.462/.909 for the season after tonight. That OBP is ridiculous, and the slugging % would probably rise with the juiced ball. 

Edited by Jose Abreu
he walked again after I posted this lol

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

so instead of doing something with Swihart...they let Hanley Ramirez go...wow.

38 minutes ago, Wanne said:

Yeah Swihart sucks. Granted, I guess maybe they valued his position "flexibility" over Hanley. When you have 4 starting OFs and Moreland hitting the ball the way he is, there isn't much room for Hanley.

Edit: granted, they do have Nunez and Holt on the bench and they can both play infield and outfield so who knows. I also see Pedroia getting time at DH when an OF has a day off (inserting Martinez into an OF spot and Holt/Nunez playing 2B).

Edited by soxfan2014

No reason to make a move.  That said, Kevan Smith should be the starter.  He's no great shakes defensively himself but he's miles better than Narvaez.  I don't think it's fair to the pitching staff (I know, "not fair"...) to have Omar back their for most of there  starts.  He's the worst defensive catcher I've seen as a Sox fan.  His arm is perhaps his best defensive asset and it's below average.  The way he sets up, he's constantly moving while the pitcher is delivering, that cannot be helping.  He might be the only MLB catcher I've ever watched that cannot move his glove for the target without coming out of his crouch.

I won't even go into detail on his framing and blocking.  We all know how awful that is.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

19 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

A .237/.389/.447 and a .839 career OPS in A and AA is "excellent"? 

And he's poor defensively, you say? 

Generational talent. We're just sold? K man. 

Not trying to be combative, but jeez. 

1 minute ago, Richie said:

A .237/.389/.447 and a .839 career OPS in A and AA is "excellent"? 

And he's poor defensively, you say? 

Generational talent. We're just sold? K man. 

Not trying to be combative, but jeez. 

I didn't say generational talent, I don't know what that's in reference to. But yes, that line is excellent, I don't know why it wouldn't be. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I didn't say generational talent, I don't know what that's in reference to. But yes, that line is excellent, I don't know why it wouldn't be. 

It's in reference to the initial post I was replying to. Calling him a "generational talent". 

It's an okay/solid line for a 23 year old in A/AA... Certainly not an indication of anything fantastic to come. Which is all I am saying. 

He could be a helluva player... but there's nothing there that screams it at us.

Edited by Richie

12 minutes ago, Richie said:

It's in reference to the initial post I was replying to. Calling him a "generational talent". 

It's an okay/solid line for a 23 year old in A/AA... Certainly not an indication of anything fantastic to come. Which is all I am saying. 

He could be a helluva player... but there's nothing there that screams it at us.

COULD BE. It's important to read the whole thing. For example, if he can slash .319/.495/.551 (as he's been doing in May) as a major leaguer and he can stick at C, he's going to be a special player.

Worth noting that Collins currently holds the third-highest wRC+ in the Southern League, ahead of Eloy. Right now he's hitting really well regardless of position.

Note: Eloy's OPS is about 50 points higher, but wRC+ adjusts for ballpark effects. I can only assume that Eloy's production has been more concentrated in hitters' parks.

20 hours ago, Wanne said:

But that only allows Swihart to play 1st base. So he may not be a good catching alternative. My concern is we have 2 young pitchers in the rotation, plus Covey and another on the way so hopefully it doesn't affect their performance. 

42 minutes ago, Jake said:

Worth noting that Collins currently holds the third-highest wRC+ in the Southern League, ahead of Eloy. Right now he's hitting really well regardless of position.

Note: Eloy's OPS is about 50 points higher, but wRC+ adjusts for ballpark effects. I can only assume that Eloy's production has been more concentrated in hitters' parks.

I’m sure it’s related to OBP which is more valuable than slugging.  And are you sure minor league wRC+ is park adjusted?  I feel like it might not be which would make both players’ stats far more impressive.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I never liked the signing to begin with but he was hitting unlike some of the other midrange guys who signed for less cough Avila.

Interesting to see how he hits next year without the added help. If he was smart he would have laid of the drugs until next year and looked to cash in again. Melky knew how to play the game

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sure it’s related to OBP which is more valuable than slugging.  And are you sure minor league wRC+ is park adjusted?  I feel like it might not be which would make both players’ stats far more impressive.

It also includes a base running component.

16 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I never liked the signing to begin with but he was hitting unlike some of the other midrange guys who signed for less cough Avila.

Interesting to see how he hits next year without the added help. If he was smart he would have laid of the drugs until next year and looked to cash in again. Melky knew how to play the game

I dont think this really helped hishitting much. I cant grasp why more oxygen in tbeblood would help a baseball player especially early in the season. Maybe in august when fatigue sets in. This is a case where if he would have said he was takingit for a systemic disorder,I nay have believed him. It really doesnt make sense.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:28 PM, fathom said:

Also ruins any trade value this year 

The possibility of a sign and flip was the only thing I EVER liked about the Castillo signing in the first place (and the way he's played this year, we weren't going to get much in return for him anyway).

Luckily, we have a Catcher at AAA who has Major League experience and knows our pitching staff quite well.  Just our luck, he hits the DL right as this happens.  Baseball can be a cruel game.

I believe Stoney once said that Smith and Giolito have developed a rapport with one another.  I'm starting to think that most of Giolito's problems are mental, and I wonder if having "his catcher" behind the dish would put him at ease?  Hopefully we'll find out soon.

I think this could be a real opportunity for some of the catchers in the org, & for the org overall:

Smith gets an extended look here in Chicago; either he makes a case to stay, or he's found out in extended pt. 

Next, move whichever of Zavala/Collins has the better mental makeup up to Charlotte. It would be a premature promotion, sure. But, it would separate the two, & give each of them more reps behind the plate. This could speed their development as catchers. (Or, they're found out as not being catchers faster...)

12 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-is-wrc/

It is league adjusted, not park adjusted.

Edited by OmarComing25