5.24 Game Thread Sox vs Orioles Series Finale, 1:10 first pitch

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Shit day for Yoan at the plate.  He's getting in a bad habit of dropping his front shoulder on pitches away.

He needs to drive the fastball on the outer half into left field. He's fouling off a ton of good fastballs to hit

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In the same thread where people are talking about Dylan Covey as an anchor in the rotation going forward, they are pronouncing Giolito and Fulmer dead.  Don't get so married to the present.

Too many live and die off one game or sometime even one at bat or pitch. It’s frustrating to lose but you have to let the youngsters learn and gain experience 

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In the same thread where people are talking about Dylan Covey as an anchor in the rotation going forward, they are pronouncing Giolito and Fulmer dead.  Don't get so married to the present.

I get what you are saying, but what is the reason for optimism on Giolito, other than he used to throw hard?

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why?  Rodon, Lopez, & Kopech are locks for next year.  You pretty much have to give a Giolito a shot next year unless you want to DFA him.  And I think it would be crazy to sign a starter and block Jordan Stephens.  After those five, you’ll have Hansen & Dunning waiting in the wings at AAA plus wild cards in Fulmer and maybe even Covey.  Signing a starter next year makes no sense.

How is Rodon a lock? Dude is as fragile as a china doll. Kopech is still young and may experience massive growing pains ala Fulmer and Giolito this year. He may have to spend time down in Charlotte again next year.  Same goes for Stephens. 

Hansen hasn't even pitched yet this year and his arm is a ticking time bomb. 

I don't think we see Dunning until after the all star break in 09. 

Fulmer is gonna end up in the bullpen and Gio looks like a lost cause. Dylan Covey is Dylan Covey. 

Signing a starter makes perfect sense cause you can never have too much pitching. 

1 minute ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

How is Rodon a lock? Dude is as fragile as a china doll. Kopech is still young and may experience massive growing pains ala Fulmer and Giolito this year. He may have to spend time down in Charlotte again next year.  Same goes for Stephens. 

Hansen hasn't even pitched yet this year and his arm is a ticking time bomb. 

I don't think we see Dunning until after the all star break in 09. 

Fulmer is gonna end up in the bullpen and Gio looks like a lost cause. Dylan Covey is Dylan Covey. 

Signing a starter makes perfect sense cause you can never have too much pitching. 

Yep way too much relying on youth without a veteran you can rely on (and no, dumpster diving doesn't count like what Gonzalez was)

45 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I get what you are saying, but what is the reason for optimism on Giolito, other than he used to throw hard?

What was the optimism on Covey at any point last year?  Heck people were wanted to cut him and send him back to Oakland for nothing.

56 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep way too much relying on youth without a veteran you can rely on (and no, dumpster diving doesn't count like what Gonzalez was)

We’re still rebuilding, why in the world would you block a young player from an opportunity?  Are you ready to give up Giolito completely?  Do you not want to give Stephens a shot?  What does adding a veteran starter accomplish in a year we’re not trying to compete.

55 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Benintendi and Moncada had similar numbers coming into today, both much better than Devers...

Offensively, yes, they're similar. Defensively and on the basepaths, Moncada has been better and it isn't close. Thus, Yoan has been better overall 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, Narvaez is really bad.  I'm actually hoping they give Smith more of the playing time going forward.

Omar seems to struggle with almost every pitch which is not helping the pitcher's confidence. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’re still rebuilding, why in the world would you block a young player from an opportunity?  Are you ready to give up Giolito completely?  Do you not want to give Stephens a shot?  What does adding a veteran starter accomplish in a year we’re not trying to compete.

It seems we're talking more about 2020/21...to have at least one veteran 2/3 guy (like a Quintana equivalent) added into the mix, like the Royals did bringing in James Shields in 2014 (well, that was a trade).  But same idea.  Or the Cubs with the Lester.  Or the Astros with Morton and Verlander.

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, ptatc said:

I think it's just too hot out for the Sox to play well today. They don't do well if it's too cold or too hot. They only play well in comfortable weather. Giollito can't feel the CB in the cold and the FB is too slippery when he sweats.

He needs to go to TB and pitch in the Trop. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Benintendi and Moncada had similar numbers coming into today, both much better than Devers...

Devers is really struggling defensively. But then I heard an announcer say the other day that he is younger than anyone on Boston's AAA or AA teams.  I think we have to wait a few years since they all are guys who got rushed to the majors.