Covey has a very short track record of success so regardless of how good he's been teams aren't going to offer much for him. I see Covey similarly to Abreu, they are both more valuable to the Sox than another team. No need to trade Covey. Worst case scenario is the Sox have at least a #5 starter with potential to top 200IP annually. I'll happily take that potential and keep it.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/white-sox-outright-dylan-covey.html

Funny thing is every team in baseball had a shot at him when we removed him from the 40 man roster prior to Spring Training on February 18...nobody saw this coming out of him.

While Covey did keep the ball on the ground at a respectable clip (48.5 percent), the fly balls he allowed tended to lead to disaster. In fact, he surrendered 2.57 home runs per nine – the worst mark on the team and the third-worst figure in the majors among those who amassed at least 70 frames.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Garland's main value was pitching around 210 innings every year with an ERA+ around 100.   Garland had a nice career but Covey, at least in theory, would be better on a per inning basis, if not capable of throwing 210 innings every year.

This. Covey's current stuff is so much better than what Garland featured. I'm not even sure why this comp arose. Covey is actually striking people out with legit peripherals. I have much higher hopes than a backend innings eater at best.

14 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Not only would it be foolish for the Sox to flip Covey this soon, it would be equally foolish for a GM to buy in to this sample size. A trade for Covey now wouldn't get back anything CLOSE to the value it could get back if he continued his progression and is actually good now. And any GM willing to pay for that value on the assumption that he IS good now would be taking a big risk.

I still say Humber is a good comparison right now. Humber had a few good starts. Can Covey keep excelling and be way more than Humber? I sure hope so. I like watching Covey pitch. Really do. I don't know why some on here think I'm dissing him. I love what Covey is doing and DO NOT want to flip him.

7 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Why do you always throw these little insults in your posts?  "Flip fanatics", "flip-niks".  Anyway, there's no reason to trade Covey.  He's more valuable to the Sox right now because be could certainly be part of the projected contending teams of 2020 and beyond.  If he's for real with the way he's been pitching, he's under team control through 2022.  He could be quite the find and an important part going forward.

I don't say flip fanatics or flip-niks with hate. There are some people on here who live for trades and constantly talk about flipping prospects. My lack of creativity I guess leads me to say flip fanatic, flip-niks. I love Covey right now and Coop of course. I hate flipping players so obviously I want to keep Covey and wish him continued domination. It's been great using my mlb.com and seeing him fare well.

54 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

This. Covey's current stuff is so much better than what Garland featured. I'm not even sure why this comp arose. Covey is actually striking people out with legit peripherals. I have much higher hopes than a backend innings eater at best.

Sheesh, if Covey turns into a multi-year backend starter with no urge to replace him, that is amazing news. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sheesh, if Covey turns into a multi-year backend starter with no urge to replace him, that is amazing news. 

I'm aiming higher. I see a middle of the rotation guy with the potential for more with what he features right now.

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

44 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm aiming higher. I see a middle of the rotation guy with the potential for more with what he features right now.

I'm aiming higher still

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Only commonality with Garland is the idea of both as sinker pitchers...but Covey relies a lot more on the slider and pitching up in the zone with more movement and higher velocity.

I agree, I think the Garland comp is lazy. Even Arrieta/Kluber, as unrealistic as they may be, seem to fit his style better 

The coolest part is how easy it looks like he throws and how easy he spots any pitch.     “Oh no big deal...where should I spot my 95 mph sliding sinking fastball...up in the zone?...let it tail to the outside edge?...yea that’ll do.”

There are two kinds of pitchers who put up a great ERA for a while:

1. Guys who are totally lucky. Some combination of too few K/too many BB/too much hard contact to sustain their numbers for very long. Mat Latos is a recent example of this phenomenon.

2. Guys who pitch really, really well for a while and don't have good numbers because of luck.

Luckily, Covey is of type 2. He's not lucky. That doesn't mean he'll always be good, but it's nice when a guy has good numbers because he's been good and not because of random variation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jake said:

There are two kinds of pitchers who put up a great ERA for a while:

1. Guys who are totally lucky. Some combination of too few K/too many BB/too much hard contact to sustain their numbers for very long. Mat Latos is a recent example of this phenomenon.

2. Guys who pitch really, really well for a while and don't have good numbers because of luck.

Luckily, Covey is of type 2. He's not lucky. That doesn't mean he'll always be good, but it's nice when a guy has good numbers because he's been good and not because of random variation.

If you ask BP he's been 1 though. They have his DRA over 5.50 and his WARP at -0.3. I honestly don't know how this is, but whatever. 

• 3 months later...