Rodon hit on head by liner

southsider2k5

With the maple bats, juiced ball and velocity of batted balls, it may be time to innovate a protective head piece for pitchers. Sixty feet, six inches is just too close to the plate, in today's game. Someone is going to get killed.

14 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Considering he got right back up and wanted to continue, my hope is that he's fine and won't miss his next start.

I mean Danks got drilled in the head by a line drive and stayed in and tossed a complete game so I assume he will be fine here.

Edited by soxfan2014

23 minutes ago, Lillian said:

With the maple bats, juiced ball and velocity of batted balls, it may be time to innovate a protective head piece for pitchers. Sixty feet, six inches is just too close to the plate, in today's game. Someone is going to get killed.

Pretty sure they have that option already. It's a goofy looking padded hat that only a few pitchers have elected to wear.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Pretty sure they have that option already. It's a goofy looking padded hat that only a few pitchers have elected to wear.

Yep, makes dudes look like Super Mario. No one is willing to concede to vanity.

I don't know that I blame them -- it's certainly the most personal of risks. Hard to argue it shouldn't be up to the player.

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yep, makes dudes look like Super Mario. No one is willing to concede to vanity.

I don't know that I blame them -- it's certainly the most personal of risks. Hard to argue it shouldn't be up to the player.

For those unaware of this hat: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/padres-alex-torres-protective-hat

I wasn't aware of the fact that something already exists. I agree that it should be up to the player, however I can't understand how a pitcher would not want protection. Would a catcher be willing to sit behind the plate, without protection? Hitters are using all kinds of protective equipment. The pitcher is arguably at more risk than a hitter. The batter is completely ready for and focused upon the incoming pitch. The pitcher is in his follow through motion, and not as focused on the ball coming back at him.  As hard as hurlers throw, they still cannot quite reach the velocity, at which balls are traveling, when they leave the bat. 

• Like 1