FS: Draft Prospect Profile: OF Jarred Kelenic, prep from Wisconsin

NorthSideSox72

Great write-up, didn't realize he had such a fiery demeanor on the field and was so dedicated in the offseason. He's my personal favorite of the top draft prospects and think he has the highest upside of any hitter in the draft this year. Definitely a long shot that the Sox take him but getting him at #4 underslot and splurging on another prep player that falls into the second round would be my ideal scenario.

I can't figure out where I stand on Kelenic. His profile changes so much for me depending on how he runs and how much raw power he has. If he has plus or more power or he runs plus or better times then I feel like he could be either a good RF or CF depending on which is plus. If both are more than plus he could be a star. If all of them project for more average than plus then you are looking at an old for his grade HS corner outfielder who's carrying tool is his hit tool which may be the most unreliable tool to project for HS kids. 

Callis last mock had the Sox considering 4-5 guys depending on how,the picks fall ahead of sox at 4. I would prefer the Sox not to draft a HS bat like Kelenic. Great kid, great makeup, yadda, yadda, yadda. I read the same thing on Dillon Tate a number of years back too. There’s always too much projection with these HS kids involved and unless it’s a can’t miss generational talent like Harper or Griffey Jr I say pass. I’m not a fan of overthinking the draft and going underslot for  Kelenic to go over slot for other talent later. The Phillies tried that a few years back and the results thus far for Moniak are not real encouraging.  Take the BPA while considering risk of hitting their ceiling.

The sox at 4 may have their choice of two of Bohm, BART, Madrigal or Singer. That’s a pretty good pool to pick a,ongst. These guys are both potentially high ceiling and less risk, and in line developmentally with the first wave of arriving talent in late 19, early 2020. The organization isn’t in a position to take risk on tools projection type players yet imo-although the TA choice is an argument against that  I guess. We should have a top 5 pick in 19 as well. If all goes per plan, the Sox should draft another upside college player in 19. As the Sox improve and they draft lower they can have at all these prep players then which is more aligned with their risk value equilibrium in my view.

Thank you for posting this player profile.  I am easily impressed by these prospect videos so I would not be of much value in the Sox war room.

I hope Kellenic gets a good look by the Sox.  This kid has some Mickey Mantle in his swing.  He must have extremely strong forearms and wrists to generate that kind of exit velocity.